Found heat on the 2005

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KEEEEEEYRIST! Here's the best fix: Ride the damn thing! I blast through 100+ degree heat all the time and have never had an issue with excessive heat... Course, I'm a manly man unlike you sissy boys. ;)

Get used to it. The old timers on these site, I mean by ownership and miles, not our age, are gonna see a reinvention of almost everything for the next six months. With the crashing of alot of the different site archives we are gonna see and hear things thats been done almost four years ago. Good luck all.

I think I'm doing pretty good for a newbie, getting ALL these responses to a stupid question and all. I'm 5'10" and my 05 has bar risers, Cee Bailey +2,?? shield. Don't know exactly since it was on the bike when I bought it, and CB cannot seem to answer my question about just which one I own. Apparently they don't know the actual sizes of their products, just how much larger than stock they are! I digress...

I really don't need my nuts anymore, but they are all I have left after two ex-wives. So I have grown fond of them and would prefer to KEEP THEM COOL IN THE 95f HEAT AND 110% HUMIDITY of coastal NC!

As for calling me a wuss... You can do that AFTER you complete a conversation with either ex-wife and my oldest (now teenage daughter). Again, I digress...

I'm about to start a wave of farkeling and thought that while I have the tank off, have used the come-along to pry out those lovely ABCD panels etc., it might be a good time to address a POTENTIAL heat problem. All your suggestions are greatly appreciated. Sounds like there is no clear-cut solution for every bike configuration and that it has as much to do with specific air flow as design. I like the try it and see approach. So for now I'll avoid cutting anything and try some tank-hugging enabling modifications.

:rolleyes:

I think I'm doing pretty good for a newbie, getting ALL these responses to a stupid question and all. I'm 5'10" and my 05 has bar risers, Cee Bailey +2,?? shield. Don't know exactly since it was on the bike when I bought it, and CB cannot seem to answer my question about just which one I own. Apparently they don't know the actual sizes of their products, just how much larger than stock they are! I digress...
I really don't need my nuts anymore, but they are all I have left after two ex-wives. So I have grown fond of them and would prefer to KEEP THEM COOL IN THE 95f HEAT AND 110% HUMIDITY of coastal NC!

As for calling me a wuss... You can do that AFTER you complete a conversation with either ex-wife and my oldest (now teenage daughter). Again, I digress...

I'm about to start a wave of farkeling and thought that while I have the tank off, have used the come-along to pry out those lovely ABCD panels etc., it might be a good time to address a POTENTIAL heat problem. All your suggestions are greatly appreciated. Sounds like there is no clear-cut solution for every bike configuration and that it has as much to do with specific air flow as design. I like the try it and see approach. So for now I'll avoid cutting anything and try some tank-hugging enabling modifications.

TWN will either call you a Wuss or in my case he likes to slap me, I have gotten use to it :D :lol:

I wear Joe Rocket riding pants and the material makes my legs sweat even if just walking around. Most times I wear long john under them to keep them off my skin. However that makes me even hotter. This only adds to the heat of the bike.

Plus since the seat tends to force you up on the tank it is a constant battle to stay away from it.

The heat most of the time doesn't bother me and I haven't done nor attempted to do anything about it. I will say however that on some days the bike seems extremely hotter than other days. I guess it depends on how hard I have been on it...

Good luck with your fixes and it is one of the major new things about the 06 is all the heat fixes...

Last edited by a moderator:
TWN-

I'll refrain from completely blasting you since that's not the type of guy I am, but suffice to say we would appreciate real input instead of the snide remarks. If we don't share out creative ideas where would we be?

My bike ran so hot that I had red (first degree burn, similar to a sunburn) marks on my shin/calfs after a 60 minute ride. That was through boots and a 'stitch in Ohio (mild) weather. I'm talking unbearable hot for long rides.

The real issue is some bikes are not that bad at all. I've ridden one that was not that hot. Some are. Mine was so I did something original about it. Just happened that I completed mine just as cromeit realeased the heat block plate idea. It was easier and faster to perform and didn't involve hacking (which I have no problem with), so it was accepted more.

FYI, Pappy has offered to host my pics, we are in discussion now to get this done. Be on the lookout for them in the near future. Damn, I need to hook myslef up with a webserver. I'm ashamed, really, since I'm into network engineering.

TWN-
I'll refrain from completely blasting you since that's not the type of guy I am, but suffice to say we would appreciate real input instead of the snide remarks.  If we don't share out creative ideas where would we be? 

My bike ran so hot that I had red (first degree burn, similar to a sunburn) marks on my shin/calfs after a 60 minute ride. That was through boots and a 'stitch in Ohio (mild) weather.  I'm talking unbearable hot for long rides.

The real issue is some bikes are not that bad at all.  I've ridden one that was not that hot.  Some are.  Mine was so I did something original about it.  Just happened that I completed mine just as cromeit realeased the heat block plate idea. It was easier and faster to perform and didn't involve hacking (which I have no problem with), so it was accepted more. 

FYI, Pappy has offered to host my pics, we are in discussion now to get this done. Be on the lookout for them in the near future. Damn, I need to hook myslef up with a webserver.  I'm ashamed, really, since I'm into network engineering.
Didn't you see pictures of him Yamaholic? He looks just like his posts, bitter :D ;) :lol:

Why don't you use photobucket to host your pictures? It's free...

Oy vay!

Yamaholic. Dude lighten up. Surely by now you know what TWN brings to the party?

Now, I do take exception to your claim of "more power". Bullpuckey I say. Where did this magical power come from? Specifically, what did you do that enabled the FJR to create more power? And call me the dickhead skeptic, but sorry, I don't believe ass-dynos.

Second, if you FJR was bad enough to give you 1st degree burns on your calfs and shins, then your FJR had a seriousl problem. My recommendation would have been to install rivnuts on the header, hook up an EGA, and make the proper modifications to the ECU. All done under warranty as at least one other FJR owner has done.

Aren't you a dealer?

And I am with sparky3008. Surely, if you are skilled enough to perform the mods you outlined, you are skilled enough to get a *free* photobucket account and post your own pics.

Let's see...........anything else?

Nope, I think that about covers it.

Have a great day and a pleasant tomorrow.

Jesus. :rolleyes:

Thanks for confirming my comment about sissy boys. ;)

First of all, understand this: I have NO FUCKING HEAT ISSUES with this bike! How is that a snide remark? Therefore, why would I offer any input on how to fix something that ain't broke? Second of all, what do you expect from a high strung, hi-po motor sitting directly below your nuts (er, if you have any)? You wanna talk about hot, sit your ass on any air/oil cooled H-D in like heat in traffic. Trust me, this bike ain't got nuthin' on that kinda heat.

@sparky - You're just jealous cuz I have the balls to tell it like it is... Bitter, c'hyah, right! Bitter this pal! :****: :p

@Skooter - I wub you too, bro! :wub:

Reeeeaaally, boys. Can we all just take a time out?

There are some FJRs that are hotter, and it is not just rider susceptibility. There are 2 (both '04s) in NorCal that were very hot. Highlander was being burned (skin turning red) through his leathers...so that's not a rider being a sissy boy, but a real and serious heat problem.....Doh!

Both Highlander and Pegscraper have done the heat mods and now say that it is tolerable or at least manageable. Thankfully, neither of my FJRs have been "hot" so I can't judge another's symptoms by my experience. If they were bikes that cast off excessive heat, I'd be glad to know what mods would ameliorate the problem.

Keep it up and you'll all have to go to our rooms and NOT slam the door. And no dessert! :bleh:

Jesus. :rolleyes:
Thanks for confirming my comment about sissy boys. ;)

First of all, understand this: I have NO FUCKING HEAT ISSUES with this bike! How is that a snide remark? Therefore, why would I offer any input on how to fix something that ain't broke? Second of all, what do you expect from a high strung, hi-po motor sitting directly below your nuts (er, if you have any)? You wanna talk about hot, sit your ass on any air/oil cooled H-D in like heat in traffic. Trust me, this bike ain't got nuthin' on that kinda heat.

@sparky - You're just jealous cuz I have the balls to tell it like it is... Bitter, c'hyah, right! Bitter this pal! :****: :p

@Skooter - I wub you too, bro! :wub:
Hey, I am just poking at TWN because yamaholic seems to be taking it too hard.

I enjoy the ribbing TWN gives me. I find it enjoyable... Good fun

I too thought Frank was a trifle toasty. The answer I found is illustrated in my avatar. This also serves up plenty of vixens. YMMV.

Yep, I'm probably taking it too hard. Must have had a bad day, or am just tired of reading 3,370 posts with absolutely NOTHING useful to say. But, hey I guess I'm actually serious about solving problems instead of stepping on every toe and taking every opportunity to stir the shit up I can. I guess I need to heed my own advice given to others and that is to simply ignore it.

As far pic hosting, I don't use any of the hosting sites as they are FULL of spyware, malware, spam, trojans, etc.

I totally agree that a CO adjust would probably help, if not completely cure it. However, I was unable to find a dealer in my area that would do it that I trusted so I took it into my own hands. Looking back though, I would still do what I did because I have a ton of underseat storage now.

Skooter- I understand why you think the extra power is BS, and I don't believe in other peoples's ass dyno's either. I understand and appreciate your skepticism and probably won't convince you otherwise. I do not know exactly why there is more power...but I will guess that there is cooler, denser air available (hot air not trapped) with less pre-airbox airflow restriction. Air can flow right into the snorkel without working it's way around the underseat plastic and snorkel, thus possible higher air velocity too. Colder air. More straight line air velocity. These are purely guesses, I'm not an expert on it, but certainly know what extra power feels like.

One thing is for sure..this will be the very last time I'm ever bringing up this mod again! After all I'm just a wuss and the FJR does not have a heat problem.

Yep, I'm probably taking it too hard. Must have had a bad day, or am just tired of reading 3,370 posts with absolutely NOTHING useful to say. But, hey I guess I'm actually serious about solving problems instead of stepping on every toe and taking every opportunity to stir the shit up I can. I guess I need to heed my own advice given to others and that is to simply ignore it.
As far pic hosting, I don't use any of the hosting sites as they are FULL of spyware, malware, spam, trojans, etc.

I totally agree that a CO adjust would probably help, if not completely cure it. However, I was unable to find a dealer in my area that would do it that I trusted so I took it into my own hands. Looking back though, I would still do what I did because I have a ton of underseat storage now.

Skooter- I understand why you think the extra power is BS, and I don't believe in other peoples's ass dyno's either. I understand and appreciate your skepticism and probably won't convince you otherwise. I do not know exactly why there is more power...but I will guess that there is cooler, denser air available (hot air not trapped) with less pre-airbox airflow restriction. Air can flow right into the snorkel without working it's way around the underseat plastic and snorkel, thus possible higher air velocity too. Colder air. More straight line air velocity. These are purely guesses, I'm not an expert on it, but certainly know what extra power feels like.

One thing is for sure..this will be the very last time I'm ever bringing up this mod again! After all I'm just a wuss and the FJR does not have a heat problem.
If you think going through this forum is bad. I visit www.thumpertalk.com and it has every make of dirt bike and model. The forum is huge as you may know.

Searching on that forum is frustrating because the guys that have been there from the beginning are tired of answering questions that they have answered for years, so now there basic answer is do a search.

Well, when you do a search now you don't get answers you get pages of threads with "Do search" so it becomes easier to just reask.

At least on this forum if people ask the same question, the members are nice enough to just post a link to an old thread so when people do use search all of the threads are useful.

Visiting other sites and coming back here makes me realise just how truely well done and run this website is.

Sometimes it's the little things...

Yep, I'm probably taking it too hard. Must have had a bad day, or am just tired of reading 3,370 posts with absolutely NOTHING useful to say.  But, hey I guess I'm actually serious about solving problems instead of stepping on every toe and taking every opportunity to stir the shit up I can.  I guess I need to heed my own advice given to others and that is to simply ignore it.
After all I'm just a wuss and the FJR does not have a heat problem.
Someone call the WAAAAAAAAAmbulance! And get it right, I never used the term 'wuss'. I wrote 'sissy boys'. If you wanna call yourself a wuss, well, if the shoe fits...

Sincerely,

Mr. 3,371 :****:

Whine.jpg

I offer this to no one in particular - but to whomever it applies to!

I'm with TWN, the so called "heat issue" isn't anything I've had any problem with, then again I've fallen asleep a couple a times while being tatooed so..... :huh:

:jester: