Found heat on the 2005

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's a lot of heat trapped under the tank. I just removed the rubber panels under the front of the tank to allow the heat to escape and it made a world of difference. It took all of 15 minutes, and didn't cost a cent. :thumbup:
I also removed the rubber panels on the front of the tank. It made all the difference in the world. Even on 100+ degree days it is tolerable. :D

Pictures???
I've got my dremel tool and chainsaw ready in the garage!!! :butcher:

Pappy
Remove the big thing under the tank, it will remove all the heat. :D :lol: :haha:

Yamaholic wrote :FYI, Pappy has offered to host my pics, we are in discussion now to get this done. Be on the lookout for them in the near future. Damn, I need to hook myslef up with a webserver.  I'm ashamed, really, since I'm into network engineering.
How are the pics coming along. I would like to see them. I am interested in doing this mod.

I tried that. Took care of the heat now the bike only works if I'm going downhill!
:dribble:
Or you could just remove 2 cylinders and have a Harley :D :p

Sorry couldn't resist...

OK. Here are some of the picutres I got: NOTE: These are not mine. I am hosting them for another board member, Mike Carpenter. His work, my editorial comments.

Audiiovox-Servo_vacuum3.JPG

This is an overall shot. Non-ABS bike. Note the storage tray is gone. The ECU is zip-tied to the cross-member and the Audiovox CC servo is in the foreground. Lots of foam removed from airbox area

dcp02020-2.JPG

This is a veiw looking down into the void created by removing the storage tray. Note what an open space this creates.

ABS NOTE: THis area is not open due to ECU and the ABSECU. There are extra parts in the area which pretty much void this proposal out for us.

jutted.JPG

See-through bike... :clap:

I took apart my storage shelf tonight prior to posting this just to try to understand what's up here. I agree that this will open-up an area for airflow. Migh tbe interesting to try if you have a non-ABS bke. Mine is ABS and due to all that claptrap, I don't think it would work. I'll see if I can post a shot of mine to illustrate my point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really the worst heat that I feel off this bike is when sitting at a stoplight. No airflow fix will correct this since there is little to none when at a stop (other than the cooling fan). I ride a 05 year round as my commuter vehicle and weekend fun toy.

I suppose if I rode the tank I'd be hot, but at 5'11'', I can ride a couple of inches behind the tank and always have my aerostitch on (yes, even in the 115 degree heat).

Thanks for the pictures Pappy . Looking at the pictures I realized those are the pictures Mike ( Yamaholic ) sent me over a year ago when I was considering doing the mod. Well I am in the process of doing it. I have everything taken apart . The rear inner fender is out of bike and laying on garege floor . Now all I need to do is get a hold of my friends Dremmel tool and start cutting plastic away.

Maybe this will be the summer I finally have a cool bike to ride. :D

Please say a prayer for me . No more roasted nuts and legs .

Reading through some of the earlier parts of this thread made me recollect something from some recent rides. When it was cold, the best place to warm your hands (still don't have any electricals installed for THAT) was at the spot where the black rubber covers are that Mike and others have removed/replaced/whatever. Maybe I'll give it another shot this summer, if I ever lift the tank to install something else/tweak something (hey... that new PCIIIusb shows up tomorrow....). :rolleyes:

Thanks for posting these for me, Pappy. Good descriptions, too!
Let the questons begin....
Mike as you know I am in the process of doing your mod . Was your bike originally a furnace and you turned it into a completely cool bike . For example tank heat, and leg heat.

Was your bike originally a furnace and you turned it into a completely cool bike . For example tank heat, and leg heat.
Yes, and yes. As I mentioned, first degree burns on calves, roasted nuts/ass, thighs very warm. This was in fairly mild temperatures, too. It's just as cool now as my old YZF600 was (read no noticeable excess heat). Componding this problem is the bikejohnny radiator guard, likely the most restrictive of all of them. Sure, the bike was hot before I installed it too. But, I must say at 23K of midwest bugs/construction, the radiator is in perfect shape, no bent fins whatsoever and no worries of stray rocks stranding me in Yahooville.

Jim, your mod looks good. Many of us have insulated the tank itself as a phase 1 mod with noticeable reduction in tank heat. The fender hack/piece removal mod takes things further. It completely changes the air flow under the tupperware, tank, and seat by drawing the hot air out aft of the rider. This not only reduces tank heat, but also on legs/feet/ass.

Mike you had great results which gives me renewed confidence. I will probably complete it tomorrow and when it gets warmer here in Chicago I will truly find out my results. I will let everyone know. Let the air flow !

OK,

So here's the same area on an ABS bike. As you can see, there's a lot more stuffed in here.

Top view you see the ABS servo, the ECM (attached to the tool tray), and the ABS computer (I think), mounted flat below. The foam (complete with spider's nest) goes between the two controllers.

IMG_0094.JPG

In this left-side view, you can see the ABS controller wire harness directly behind the air intake.

IMG_0093.JPG

I didn't want to star ripping this stuff out because, as you can see, there's too much in there to allow for any real flow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pappy,

I'm glad to see you concur with my findings on the ABS bike. I just didn't see any way to make substantial air flow improvements on my 05 ABS. It looks too much like a womans suitcase!

Sorry FJRCHIK! :)

yamaholic unfortunately I have had a sinus infection for 2 days now and am not feeling that great ,hope to be back on the bike by next Sunday because I have a group ride I have to lead , but I did get ALL the plastic cut out . Now there is a very large storage area that has opened up under the seat (no ABS ). Did the Tide box ,( plasic or cardboard ? ) you put under the seat restrict any air flow . What were the finished dimension of the Tide box, LxWxH . Did you just set it on top of the black metal rib ? I still have to mount the ECU and put side panels on . The bottom of my tank is already insulated . I will probably cut as much foam off the top of the air box as I can. By the way I couldn't get my hands on a dremmel so I used an electric drill . I used Roto Zip bits . They look like a 1/8 " drill with very wide and sharp flutes . They cut the plastic like butter .

Where did you cut your 1x2 hole at . Below brake light and above license plate ?

I will do a full report when finished .