Frame sliders

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danno

Reaction score
The dealer is setting up my new '07 this week and I asked if they could get any frame sliders and install them right away. They said they did not want to put them on even if they could get them since the place they bolt to the frame may be a torqued bolt and a critical part of the frame, and that it may have a negative affect on handling or something.

What do you all think?

Thanks

Danno

The dealer is setting up my new '07 this week and I asked if they could get any frame sliders and install them right away. They said they did not want to put them on even if they could get them since the place they bolt to the frame may be a torqued bolt and a critical part of the frame, and that it may have a negative affect on handling or something.
What do you all think?

Thanks

Danno
They're drumming up sales for the parts department, hoping you drop the bike in their parking lot!

Per the Bin O' Facts, torque the left side, then right side, at 35 lbs.

What do you all think?

Thanks

Danno
They're drumming up sales for the parts department, hoping you drop the bike in their parking lot!

Per the Bin O' Facts, torque the left side, then right side, at 35 lbs.
THat would be just my style, to drop it in the parking lot.

I would think that torqued to the proper spec, with or without sliders installed, would be the same.

Thanks Jagermeister

Any negatives?
Yeah, they cost money, and will be a total waste of it if you never drop or down your bike.

Wish I'd got mine before I dropped it....

IMG_1315.jpg

The only negative observed on the Gen II FJRs is the possibility that during a slide, the frame slider grabs the road and ends up breaking the frame flange. IIRC There have been 3 posts with frame damage, and all 3 were solid aluminum sliders.

After some discussion, skyway added the delrin ® sliders (and at the time -- offered to replace anyone's aluminum ones with the delrin.) Clicky

From what I've read and experienced, the positives have far outweighed the negatives for either aluminum, delrin, or nylon.

The only negative, for me, is when i crashed, I scratched them and ground a good 1.5 inches off of one of them.......... I have new plastic but I did not change my sliders... as a reminder...

My bike got hurt for sure..... I think if the punnishment my sliders too transferred to my bike I may have got a new one instead of my old girl back........ Yea... skipem... (NOT) !!

Get some. In the parking lot of the dearlership install them. It takes 5 minutes. Bring a friend who can take the torque wrench and socket wrench home for you. And you save installation cost.

The only negative I have is I didn't get to buy new plastic after a F'up.. Wait, no, that is a positive. Sorry, can't help you, just go ahead and get them.

I am always at awe as to how many dealers in this country don't know a freaking thing....

KM

I bought these: https://www.oesaccessories.com/06-08FJR1300.html and they are about half the price of the "brand" type. They arrived and I compared them to my "brand" bought sliders and could see no difference. They are made out of the same material and seem as thick. They are high quality and come with good instructions including torque values.

I bought these: https://www.oesaccessories.com/06-08FJR1300.html and they are about half the price of the "brand" type. They arrived and I compared them to my "brand" bought sliders and could see no difference. They are made out of the same material and seem as thick. They are high quality and come with good instructions including torque values.
Thanks for the link on this. I just got my 08A and was wondering if I really needed to pay 90+ bucks for sliders. I ordered them immediately from OES. I'll keep everyone posted if I have a bad experience but it seems ok for now. I liked the radius cut. Final cost - 50.99.

Has anyone been able to contact Mr Skyway? I have the Aluminum sliders and wanted to change to Delrin. His web site works fine got my Delrin Sliders. However from what i understand there is some type of aluminum spacer required. I have emailed, and called no response. I know he is busy.

If he had the spacers on his web site I would gladly order them.

I would really like to change these out.

update: talked to Ian today he is send spacers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the link on this. I just got my 08A and was wondering if I really needed to pay 90+ bucks for sliders. I ordered them immediately from OES. I'll keep everyone posted if I have a bad experience but it seems ok for now. I liked the radius cut. Final cost - 50.99.

I just recieved my set from OE and I have to say they look great. Thanks for the tip.

I just recieved my set from OE and I have to say they look great. Thanks for the tip.
I just got mine too. OES directions say to install right side first and torque to spec. Bin 'o Facts says left side first. WTF? Anybody care to input before I install?

Somebody with knowledge please reply. I want to install these sliders. Right/Left first? conflicting instructions between OES and Bin'OFacts.