Frame sliders

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just bought the radius type from OES Accessories, they look great and fast delivery. Thanks for the tip on saving a few bucks with OES. Now just have to wait for the snow to melt and go pick up the bike...

Danno, sliders were the first farkle I installed on my bike following delivery. The picture of the aluminum sliders on Skyway's website is of my bike.

In the first 8 months of ownership, I tested both sides.

In parking lots.

I replaced exactly ZERO plastic.

I have Motorvation Sliders on my '07.

I followed the manufacturers instructions, but really cannot see what difference it makes as to which side you install first.

All I know is that they work! Saved a lot of tupperware last weekend...FJR decided to have a nanna nap at my mates garage. Lost my LH mirror, slight graze on LH side of fairing (unless I showed you, you wouldn't find it), slight graze/rub to my LH Holeshot can, and the Slider itself is slightly grazed.

All up....$AUD215.00 for a LH mirror.

And my wife is still talking to me. Old mirror will now go in the display cabinet with all my "model" bikes.

Best damn bit of kit I could think of.

Just bought the radius type from OES Accessories, they look great and fast delivery. Thanks for the tip on saving a few bucks with OES. Now just have to wait for the snow to melt and go pick up the bike...

Which diameter did you get ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Which diameter did you get ?
Went with the 2" diameter. Haven't been able to install them yet, still waiting to pick up the bike. Another 2" of snow last night, this is getting old. :cold:

Love my R&G sliders and engine armor. Thankfully it was others who crash tested them over the years.

armor01.jpg

https://www.fjr-tips.org/mods/ea/ea.html

A word of advice, be sure to lockite the bolt for the frame sliders. If it comes off and goes under your back tire especially in a corner, things can go wrong ,very wrong I learned first hand. Ride safe

I bought these: https://www.oesaccessories.com/06-08FJR1300.html and they are about half the price of the "brand" type. They arrived and I compared them to my "brand" bought sliders and could see no difference. They are made out of the same material and seem as thick. They are high quality and come with good instructions including torque values.
Thanks for the link on this. I just got my 08A and was wondering if I really needed to pay 90+ bucks for sliders. I ordered them immediately from OES. I'll keep everyone posted if I have a bad experience but it seems ok for now. I liked the radius cut. Final cost - 50.99.

I just recieved my set from OE and I have to say they look great. Thanks for the tip.
I just got mine too. OES directions say to install right side first and torque to spec. Bin 'o Facts says left side first. WTF? Anybody care to input before I install?
Skyway's instructions say to torque the left first and then the right. They also say to torque to 29 ft/lbs to avoid stripping the threads (but Bin-o-facts says 35 ft/lbs). IIRC someone said that torqueing left before right is to retain alignment.

A word of advice, be sure to lockite the bolt for the frame sliders. If it comes off and goes under your back tire especially in a corner, things can go wrong ,very wrong I learned first hand. Ride safe
I just installed the 2 inch sliders from OES. I did not use loctite and torqued them to 35 ft lbs. They have plenty long bolts, I can't believe I wouldn't notice them loosening up, but thanks for the heads up.

You'll only notice it after they loosen,which may be too late depending on the ride. Trust me, just avoid trouble now, it won't hurt now. It will later.

As far as I could read, the OES website says there is no need

for loctite. I could not find that it advises against?

As far as I could read, the OES website says there is no needfor loctite. I could not find that it advises against?
The language on the website is a little softer than what they say in their Ebay listings, like this one (clicky) for example:

Quote:

- No Loctite required. Our sliders remain tight just like the factory motor mount bolts, which don't have Loctite either. The need for Loctite and lower-than-spec torque on a slider kit indicates that the sliders don't have rigid inserts in them. Typically, without inserts in the sliders, they will become loose because the plastic will deform under the load of the bolt tension. The slider will either fall off the bike, or in some cases, the lack of bolt tension will allow vibrations between the frame and motor, which can ultimately lead to failure of the fastener. You should never use Loctite on motor mount bolts.

End quote.

Loctite is just lazy mans insurance.... Everybody knoiws a real wrench checks and rechecks the torque and tightness of his fastners regularly :eek:k:

Loctite is just lazy mans insurance.... Everybody knoiws a real wrench checks and rechecks the torque and tightness of his fastners regularly :eek:k:
So, lemme see if I have this straight: You spent ~$12000 on a motorcycle, and ~$55 on sliders to protect that motorcycle, but you're afraid to use ~$.05 worth of Loctite to make sure those bolts don't come out? I don't understand what the issue is, but maybe there is some confusion about Loctite. Unless it is a bolt you will probably NEVER remove, don't use RED Loctite. You need heat to get it to release. However, BLUE Loctite can be broken with a wrench, but prevents the bolt from vibrating loose. Do whatever you want, but while you are rechecking the torque on every bolt on your FJR, I'll be riding.

I ordered the OES sliders yesterday. When I install them, if the original bolts were loctited, then I'll loctite the new bolts. If not, I'll take it as a sign that OES knows what they're talking about regarding their product and I'll skip the loctite.