Freeway Cruising Gear and RPM Question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Burleigh

Reaction score
When I ride on the superslab I'm continually shifting between 3rd and 4th gears. At an 80 MPH cruising speed the tach is at 6,000, and the bike is very buzzy, but responsive as hell (as I might have mentioned somewhere else :rolleyes: ). But it's not that comfortable for cruising. So I typically pop the bike into 4th gear, which drops the tach 1,000 RPMs to 5,000. But at that RPM the throttle has reduced responsiveness, and it feels like I'm lugging the bike. Nevertheless I feel like I must be getting better fuel mileage, and it's more comfortable for cruising. Whenever I get into thick traffic or need to have available acceleration, I drop it back into 3rd.

So how should I think about this from a bike performance and longevity perspective? Is the bike "happier" (just call me Mr. Goodwrench) in 4th at 5,000 or in 3rd at 6,000 for cruising? Are there engine wear issues? Lugging issues? Mileage issues? Manhood issues? Stupid question issues?

Jb

When I ride on the superslab I'm continually shifting between 3rd and 4th gears. At an 80 MPH cruising speed the tach is at 6,000, and the bike is very buzzy, but responsive as hell (as I might have mentioned somewhere else :rolleyes: ). But it's not that comfortable for cruising. So I typically pop the bike into 4th gear, which drops the tach 1,000 RPMs to 5,000. But at that RPM the throttle has reduced responsiveness, and it feels like I'm lugging the bike. Nevertheless I feel like I must be getting better fuel mileage, and it's more comfortable for cruising. Whenever I get into thick traffic or need to have available acceleration, I drop it back into 3rd.
So how should I think about this from a bike performance and longevity perspective? Is the bike "happier" (just call me Mr. Goodwrench) in 4th at 5,000 or in 3rd at 6,000 for cruising? Are there engine wear issues? Lugging issues? Mileage issues? Manhood issues? Stupid question issues?

Jb
Ever try 5th at 4500? Less revs = longer life spawn for the engine. With 1300 CC you don't have to stay in the powerband all the time, and if you need the extra power, it's a quick downshift away.

.....not to be confused with another thread........

[SIZE=18pt]+1![/SIZE]

......as in the verb or command.

Last edited by a moderator:
At 80 in 5th, my experience says if you gotta go faster quick, twist the throttle hard and hold on. Screw the gear change. BTW, with these Leo Vince cans, once the tach hits 6k, you best be hanging on, especially in 3rd and 4th... Wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

:yahoo:

Jb
Not an expert in this area since I since I have just been a FJR man for 2 months(2600 miles). But coming from a V-twin background with massive torque, I feel like the engine is very busy @ 4000rpm=80mph cruising in 5th. This combo is yielding over 50mpg on my bike. If I need WARP DRIVE I am only 2 clicks away!

The only reason to shift is if you're hitting the rev limiter. You'll get better respnsiveness leaving it 2nd or even 1st if the freeway traffic slows a bit.

- Mark

Wouldn't fifth gear @80 be faster acceleration than most cars on the road going 80 anyways? Freeway speeds fifth works for me.

+1 on 5th gear. Either twist the throttle hard, or if I have more time to plan the move I down shift. Either way you are pulling away from everyone on the highway. Well, everyone except for the guy I was running with in his Porsche GT. THAT is a fast car! I guess it should be for $450,000.00

I cruise in 5th gear, the less vibes the better as far as the bike's concerned. Power's a quick downshift away and besides, how else are you gonna get the front wheel in the air?

Okay, I'm going to fess up publicly about how I'm an idiot because I've been riding my bike wrong for a year (and spending too much wampum on benzina). :headbonk: I kid you not, I never used fifth gear. I figured the throttle was getting sluggish in 4th at 80 MPH, so there's no way I wanted to lug it more in 5th. I figured fifth must be for when you're up over 100 (which of course I never ever do, much).

Jb

Looking Forward to Better Gas Mileage

Okay, I'm going to fess up publicly about how I'm an idiot because I've been riding my bike wrong for a year (and spending too much wampum on benzina). :headbonk: I kid you not, I never used fifth gear. I figured the throttle was getting sluggish in 4th at 80 MPH, so there's no way I wanted to lug it more in 5th. I figured fifth must be for when you're up over 100 (which of course I never ever do, much).
Jb

Looking Forward to Better Gas Mileage
OK, I'll come clean. I spent most of last Tuesday in 3rd gear. :rolleyes:

OK, come clean - this entire thread is a joke that no one has gotten yet, right?
Negatori... I never used fifth. I'm still kinda uncomfortable in fifth on the freeway, not from a less-buzz-in-my-wrist perspective, but from a leave-yourself-an-out comfort level. In third or fourth max, I feel like I have instant response if something comes at me. In fifth the bike doesn't jump when you move the throttle. But I'm getting used to it. I just have to downshift quickly.

Maybe there should be a Fifth Gear Self-Help Group: "Hi, my name is James and I never use fifth." "Welcome, James."