Freeze-Out

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

101stpathfinder

Trading miles for memories
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Went into Cycle Gear yesterday and saw they had cold weather line of under layer

by Freeze-Out. They seemed, by look and touch, to be an answer for my up-coming

June ride to Deadhorse, AK. Has anyone used this line of products?

They are half price right now, so I am thinking on trying them out...

I use LD Comfort but these seem more geared for cold weather. I would like some

opinions please. I HATE RIDING COLD.

Tony,

Let me give you a tip, your gonna think I'm making this up, but I'll swear on a stack of bibles its the truth.

The absolute warmest thing you can wear next to your skin is silk, and if it happens to have garters 'n stuff attached to it, that's your business.

Seriously though. Silk is the way to go.

I use merino wool (Minus 33 brand from HanksClothing.com in Binhampton, NY. Breathable, moisture wicking and warm, layered with heated gear or liners gives you flexibility for all seasons.

Tony,

Let me give you a tip, your gonna think I'm making this up, but I'll swear on a stack of bibles its the truth.

The absolute warmest thing you can wear next to your skin is silk, and if it happens to have garters 'n stuff attached to it, that's your business.

Yep Sierra Trading Post has silk blend long johns and is all I wear in the winter. Light and warm, and after you take your gear off you can wear them all day long with no issues even in business clothing.

Tony,

Yep Sierra Trading Post has silk blend long johns and is all I wear in the winter. Light and warm, and after you take your gear off you can wear them all day long with no issues even in business clothing.
+1 on the silk undergarments. It just might sound a little strange. A word of warning, however, the silk thongs don't really do much to keep you warm, but you will avoid the embarrassing panty lines.

Campmor also sells the silk uppers and lowers (somewhere around $40 total). I've been using them for the last 15 years camping with cub and boy scouts, including several snowy trips. It basically keeps a very thin layer of warm air against your skin. The underwear is extremely thin, not like the relatively bulky cotton/poly stuff. It doesn't really add any bulk under your clothes.

Consider insulated or even non-insulated overpants as well. The advantage is that they can more easily be removed inpublic that the silk underwear (I know how shy some of you are) if it gets warm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got my Cycle Gear catalog and spotted these. On Sale for $45 bucks for the shirt and pants, I'm going to check them out. Fuzzy liner over stretch outer, sounds good. Will let you know if somebody else doesn't get them first.

Underneath all my gear and regular clothes and maybe some liners, I'm TOTALLY NAKED. No matter HOW cold it is. Because that's how I roll.
fist-bruce.gif

Went into Cycle Gear yesterday and saw they had cold weather line of under layer

by Freeze-Out. They seemed, by look and touch, to be an answer for my up-coming

Tony,

Already guessing that you'll have a heated jacket liner or vest with you but since you asked about the FREEZE-OUT line available at Cycle Gear I'll point out that the brushed poly material that it's made from might not wick moisture as well as you need.

While I don't have experience with the FREEZE-OUT brand, I used to wear Patagonia Capilene 4 during the winter months in Michigan until I found out that I was warmer and more comfortable with Merino wool... simply because it wicked moisture better and I stayed drier.

The heated gear is what you really need for a little putt to Deadhorse but just make sure that whatever you put under it really wicks moisture very well

Tony,

+1 on the silk undergarments. It just might sound a little strange. A word of warning, however, the silk thongs don't really do much to keep you warm, but you will avoid the embarrassing panty lines.

Campmor also sells the silk uppers and lowers (somewhere around $40 total). I've been using them for the last 15 years camping with cub and boy scouts, including several snowy trips. It basically keeps a very thin layer of warm air against your skin. The underwear is extremely thin, not like the relatively bulky cotton/poly stuff. It doesn't really add any bulk under your clothes.

Consider insulated or even non-insulated overpants as well. The advantage is that they can more easily be removed inpublic that the silk underwear (I know how shy some of you are) if it gets warm.
+1 on silks. I use "WinterSilks" work great

I work at Cycle Gear, so I want to be careful to not cross the line of trying to sell the stuff here and just give my opinion.

I currently have the shirt, neck guard and glove liners. Since it's been pouring rain every day here when I'm not at work, I haven't been able to thoroughly test them but they seem quite warm. The material is breathable but not wicking so I would suggest wearing a cotton base layer underneath. The top and bottom fit snug so they fit well under your jacket and pants with the thermal liner in but the gilet jacket is looser and some find that the seams at the shoulder where the sleeves zip off aren't comfortable if your jacket fits snug at the shoulder.

Your best bet is to just go in and try the stuff on with your gear.

I have a CG balaclava from last year, and the windproof fabric does what it promises to do. I just bought one of the neck warmers since it was on sale, and it should do a good job as well, since it's made out of the same fabric and liner.

Also want to mention the windproof gear made by Craft does an excellent job, but the windblock material is only on the chest, and not on the arms. For the lower body, I use a pair of windblock bib tights that I'd wear on the bicycle.

Hope this helps,

'fooz

T, you've had some good word already but I'll add that +1 on the moisture wicking property of whatever you buy.

I wear TPG riding overpants that are bigger than I need so use suspenders. In warm weather I, uh, well not quite like SacMike, but just shorts underneath. In colder climate I can add layers as needed.

For really cold weather I have polypropylene thermals from Cabelas. I have heated gear, but not pants yet - just jacket, gloves, and insoles as that's where I personally have the most problem.

I don't know your latest farkles (we need to catch up!), but heated gear does use some juice and I know on your gen1 that's a little more precious than on mine, but power usage is critical on gen2's as well. If you can come up with a good non-electric solution, IMO that's the way to go.

Some I am curious if anyone is using the Freeze-out gear made by Bilt from cyclegear? I have heated gloves and jacket. I was looking to get the boot liners due to cold feet! I also thought about getting the Yamaha lower fairing covers but can't find where to order plus they are pretty pricey! Also considering the zippped gilet. I have read the sizing is off but not sure by how much. Wondering if anyone could shed some light on this gear? Thanks for all responses in advance its greatly appreciated!

Went into Cycle Gear yesterday and saw they had cold weather line of under layerby Freeze-Out. They seemed, by look and touch, to be an answer for my up-coming

Reaction57

This post for you as I know I just answered an old thread.

Deb and I have the Freezeout gear -- it works as advertised. I just have the top, Deb has top and bottom, although she'll not be wearing the top any longer as she acquired a heated vest recently. No heated vest for me cause real men don't wear them
no.gif
-- just ask OldMike
uhoh.gif

So yes, for the money, they're a good deal.

I also have their hot weather gear which also seems to work -- I say "seem to" cause it hasn't been tested in Sac Valley summer heat yet !

As for sizing, you'd have to go in store and try 'em on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some I am curious if anyone is using the Freeze-out gear made by Bilt from cyclegear? I have heated gloves and jacket. I was looking to get the boot liners due to cold feet! I also thought about getting the Yamaha lower fairing covers but can't find where to order plus they are pretty pricey! Also considering the zippped gilet. I have read the sizing is off but not sure by how much. Wondering if anyone could shed some light on this gear? Thanks for all responses in advance its greatly appreciated!
My wife has the zipped gilet (jacket) and she really likes it a lot. It's decent looking enough to wear it on its own for running workouts, going to the store, and so forth too.

'fooz