FRJ A OR AE?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jride

Reaction score
Sorry if this has already been beat to death.

Is the AE a good option for someone who likes to accelerate hard and rip through the gears or does it tend to respond poorly to fast gear changes and slip the clutch??

It seemed from the Yamaha web sight that it might not be the bike for that type of ridding and maybe the A would be a better choice for me

IT semms i messed up the topic FRJ?? OOPS I mean FJR :dribble:

Last edited by a moderator:
JRide, I can't offer any expertise on the AE as I have never ridden one, but many here own that model and can opine at will. What I can tell you is when you rip through the gears on any A model (especially the 2007 model), you had better hold on tight and watch your mirrors for cops!

Either would be a good choice.

Enjoy and be safe.

biknflyfisher

What I can tell you is when you rip through the gears on any A model (especially the 2007 model), you had better hold on tight and watch your mirrors for cops!
I've only had mine two weeks and have easily violated the legal highway speed limit in second gear. :clapping:

Seriously though, I don't think the AE will impede performance riding. For me though, the AE is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. Therefore, I didn't think it was worth paying more for an AE.

From what I've read, the guys who have the AEs love them, and a few of them ride pretty hard. Good luck with that one.

I have an '08 and love it. I suspect that the A may be faster shifting if you are quick and ride a lot. In my case , my left hand was all busted up and it fatigues easy, so it is nice to have as I do not have a clutch to pull in. I do however shift with my foot, old habits I guess. Whatever your choice the FJR is the best bike I have had.

... Is the AE a good option for someone who likes to accelerate hard and rip through the gears or does it tend to respond poorly to fast gear changes and slip the clutch??
It takes a bit of skill to control the throttle correctly for fast changes. If you keep the throttle wide open on an up change, the clutch will slip for a second or so. If you learn the correct modulation, no slip, but slightly slower than a conventional in a similarly skilled rider's hands (and feet).

But always it will change, it won't make the rear wheel skip, it won't put excessive loads on the drive train, it will behave the same every time, so is very predictable.

I'm one who needs it because of a little finger joint problem, so I am prejudiced.

Like I read once. "I have perfected my clutch hand over thirty years of riding and racing, and something that does it for would have to be Better! and it ain't! :blink: I would have fallen over many times if I didn't have a clutch to feather in tight spots, and you don't really need to use the clutch during high accelaration shifting! :yahoo: :yahoo:

I've ridden both since I work at the dealership. I bought the AE for the best reason of all, I can ride with very spendy dress shoes and not mess up the toe!! :yahoo: ROTFLMAO

In real life, I luv my AE. Since I do many miles with the camera mounted for video duties it's nice to have the left hand basically free to do other duties. Is it faster, I don't really think so. It does take some getting use to in parking lot driving but coming off a Roadstar there was more important stuff to get use too. LOTS MORE POWER B) and more speed in the twisties. Either one will put a smile on your face that no amount of bugs will cover up. Ride and enjoy !!

Like I read once. "I have perfected my clutch hand over thirty years of riding and racing, and something that does it for would have to be Better! and it ain't!
Sorry (well not really)!

You obviuosly have chosen to quote some one or something without knowing what you are really talking about, IMHO!!

However, you are entitled to your own un-experienced opinion.

Shifting an AE in sprited riding is just like speed shifting without letting off of the accelerator.

I also have perfected a clutch hand after over 40 years of riding and racing.

You can do anything with the AE you can do with the A and maybe sometimes even better!!

I'm just sayin.

Like I read once. "I have perfected my clutch hand over thirty years of riding and racing, and something that does it for would have to be Better! and it ain't!
Sorry (well not really)!

You obviuosly have chosen to quote some one or something without knowing what you are really talking about, IMHO!!

However, you are entitled to your own un-experienced opinion.

Shifting and AE in sprited riding is just like speed shifting without letting off of the accelerator.

I also have perfected a clutch hand after over 40 years of riding and racing.

You can do anything with the AE you can do with the A and maybe sometimes even better!!

I'm just sayin.

Had my 08' AE for 3 weeks now and I'm having a ball with it. I was very hesitant to go with no clutch handle but now that I've gotten used to the slow speed part I wouldn't go back. I find that I can speed shift this sucker and scare the crap outta myself anytime I wanta, lol. I can't shift my other bikes anywhere near as fast as this thing. I haven't experienced any lag or slipping when speed shifting either. It's always instantaneous.

Ed

+++++++++1 I love the AE and I ride with experianced R1 and R6 riders. I keep up in the twisties and the shifts are silky smooth and crazy fast! It did take some getting used to a actually took my a few K miles to really get it down.

Yea? well Bullshit Okierider! I have been riding all my life and you can't tell me the auto clutch is better then a regular clutch, no way no how! If you can't use a clutch you should be riding a little scooter or maybe in your case a Hoveround! :dribble: Don't talk about my experience on bikes, you don't know me, I raced with Scott Parker, and Kenny Roberts, and last time I talked to them, they use clutches too. If clutchless is so hot of an item why doesn't Yamaha, or any other sport bike maker use them in their sportbike lineup, because no one would buy them! They are for entry level, old men, who got in over thier heads. :yahoo: Hows that for a Friday rant! And my buddies Dave Aldana and Gene Romero who I last saw in September wouldn't ride a clutchless bike either!

And another thing, The quote was from Dave Cannet, editor, Cycle World! I think he knows more about bikes then you do.

Yea? well Bullshit Okierider! I have been riding all my life and you can't tell me the auto clutch is better then a regular clutch, no way no how! If you can't use a clutch you should be riding a little scooter or maybe in your case a Hoveround! :dribble: Don't talk about my experience on bikes, you don't know me, I raced with Scott Parker, and Kenny Roberts, and last time I talked to them, they use clutches too. If clutchless is so hot of an item why doesn't Yamaha, or any other sport bike maker use them in their sportbike lineup, because no one would buy them! They are for entry level, old men, who got in over thier heads. :yahoo: Hows that for a Friday rant! And my buddies Dave Aldana and Gene Romero who I last saw in September wouldn't ride a clutchless bike either!
EEEEEEEeeeeeeewwwwww...do you ever take things personal!!!! :blink:

You really like dropping names don't you?

Try speaking for yourself!!!

If you haven't experienced riding one, YOU DON"T KNOW WHAT YOU"RE TALKING ABOUT. :p Is all I was trying to say.

btw- I don't care who your buddies are...if they haven't ridden one they don't know what their talking about either! :clapping:

It is not clutchless, they are electronically actuated automatic clutches.

Where in my post did I say they were better? I said "You can do anything with the AE you can do with the A and maybe sometimes even better!!"

Now we aren't sure if you got the original quote right.

I will say one thing you are right about, they would not sell in the sport lineup.

And another thing, The quote was from Dave Cannet, editor, Cycle World! I think he knows more about bikes then you do.
To quote you "you don't know me" so how can you in fairness make that statement?

Just because he's an editor of Cycle World doesn't make him all knowing and I'm not saying I am either. (before you twist my words again)

It's not really personell to me, IT's Friday and I get a little wound up thats all. Clutches are still better the automatic clutches. I rode both of them before going with the regular clutch. And good luck push starting that thing without a clutch, but you can always call AAA for a jump if needed. Woo Hoo, tomorrow we ride!

It's not really personell to me, IT's Friday and I get a little wound up thats all. Clutches are still better the automatic clutches. I rode both of them before going with the regular clutch. And good luck push starting that thing without a clutch, but you can always call AAA for a jump if needed. Woo Hoo, tomorrow we ride!

Umm, does the term Y.E.S. mean anything?

I wouldn't have to push a standard clutch either.

I apologize jride for hijacking your thread.

Don't know about motorcycle racers, but in Formula One auto racing everybody uses paddle shifters. For cars it's better. In time I'm guessing it will prove to be better for bikes too.

Bob

Doesn't downshifting in the twisties suck w/ an AE? That would be the only reason that I wouldn't own one. I hear that they shift lightning fast.