FRJ A OR AE?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doesn't downshifting in the twisties suck w/ an AE? That would be the only reason that I wouldn't own one. I hear that they shift lightning fast.
Actually...no. This is one area the AE really surprised me. You can flick down 2 or 3 down shifts incredibly fast. Plus, the engagement is silky smooth as well. I've downshifted mid-corner with the bike pushed over pretty far and it was basically a "non-event".

As far as the AE vs. the A, this is a VERY subjective topic (as evidenced by the mindless rant of an earlier poster...Sheesh). I went with the AE simply due to a screamin' deal that basically fell into my lap. It did take me a few weeks to really appreicate the AE model. To be quite honest, I had a couple of weeks where I was bordering on buyer's remorse. But now, I'm very glad I went with the AE model. I truly don't miss the clutch whatsoever.

When it comes time to replace the bike, I will have an AE model at the top of my list. But I can't foresee replacing this bike for a long, long time.

Cheers,

Joe

What he said

Doesn't downshifting in the twisties suck w/ an AE? That would be the only reason that I wouldn't own one. I hear that they shift lightning fast.
Not sure what you mean.

I have never found this to be an issue.

Downshift before the corners, in the corner (which I'd never comfortably do with a standard) and upshift after the corners a as smooth as silk.

As with any vehicle, it takes getting used to.
Meaning w/o the option to feather the clutch, downshifting could put you through the windscreen (because of rapid engine braking). I have a friend w/ an AE that I ride with often & he says that this is the only thing that he doesn't like about it. Otherwise it is da' shit. So, it doesn't happen with your bike? interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure what you mean.

Downshift before the corners, in the corner (which I'd never comfortably do with a standard) and upshift after the corners a as smooth as silk.

Meaning w/o the option to feather the clutch, downshifting could put you through the windscreen (because of rapid engine braking). I have a friend w/ an AE that I ride with often & he says that this is the only thing that he doesn't like. So, it doesn't happen with your bike? I find that to be interesting.
The computer will not let you down shift to far or to fast so in some ways it is safer than a normal clutch in or near a corner.

I think you have it backwards, Heidi. :) On the AE, you can keep the balls of your feet planted on the pegs and shift as often as you want, as fast as you want, in mid corner if you want. These things act like they were made for twisties!
No, I heard him loud & clear. I am assuming that the technique that you speak of needs to be taught to my friend, because this is totally different than what he says. I've never ridden one myself. I'm just going by someone else's opinion. For this reason alone, I would not own one.

Not sure what you mean.

Meaning w/o the option to feather the clutch, downshifting could put you through the windscreen (because of rapid engine braking). I have a friend w/ an AE that I ride with often & he says that this is the only thing that he doesn't like. So, it doesn't happen with your bike? I find that to be interesting.
The computer will not let you down shift to far or to fast so in some ways it is safer than a normal clutch in or near a corner.
So, it doesn't engine brake abruptly at all when downshifting? I find it odd that he even said anything about it if that is true.

Not sure what you mean.

So, it doesn't engine brake abruptly at all when downshifting? I find it odd that he even said anything about it if that is true.
The engine brakes but nothing abrupt. Like I said on a normally clutched bike you can lock the back wheel if you down shift to fast or far. On this you can not unless you are on gravel or something. I have yet to get wheel slide.

I guess that I'd need to try it for myself because absolutely, this is definitely not what I was told.

Not sure what you mean.

Meaning w/o the option to feather the clutch, downshifting could put you through the windscreen (because of rapid engine braking). I have a friend w/ an AE that I ride with often & he says that this is the only thing that he doesn't like about it. Otherwise it is da' shit. So, it doesn't happen with your bike? interesting.
Hey everyone,

Luvtoride sent me a wake up call on this thread so hear I am! :jerry: I am the pansy, err fellow to whom she is referring to about the abrupt down shifts. Let me know your secrets for down shifting in the corners on AE's, please!

My bike is very abrupt; there is some slipping of the clutch but when I have ridden with folks like Heidi and HaulnAshe, JWilly, Scab, and that bunch, I have always noticed how smooth their down shifts are (no wag in the ass end or looking like their doing horizontal push-ups on the handle bars) approaching the curves on the A models. My bike tends to snatch it down into the lower gear, almost to the point of being unsettling because I having to hold/push myself back on the bars to keep from going over them.

What my observation is about the AE having or what I perceive as a limitation is that the YCCS doesn't have eyes; it can't see where you are in relationship to the apex of the curve, it can't feather the clutch as you approach, commit and execute the turn. Now, it could also be I need to learn more and that is why we have great forums like this, and it could also be that my bike has a different "mapping" of the YCCS control. I am all ears on this one. I just know that after 30K miles on my 06 AE, that is the one disatavantage I think the YCCS has over the "Old Skool" A models.

Now if you ask me if I would not buy an AE next time? I would say "Oh Hell Yes I Would". Though I think Yamaha should throw in some of the goodies that they put on the Venture and Tour Star Deluxe (cruse control, intercom w/CB, and 5 year warranty) after all the bikes are all the same price. (Oh God, did I just open another can of worms with that statement?) :ph34r:

Not sure what you mean.

Hey everyone,

Luvtoride sent me a wake up call on this thread so hear I am! :jerry: I am the pansy, err fellow to whom she is referring to about the abrupt down shifts. Let me know your secrets for down shifting in the corners on AE's, please!

My bike is very abrupt; there is some slipping of the clutch but when I have ridden with folks like Heidi and HaulnAshe, JWilly, Scab, and that bunch, I have always noticed how smooth their down shifts are (no wag in the ass end or looking like their doing horizontal push-ups on the handle bars) approaching the curves on the A models. My bike tends to snatch it down into the lower gear, almost to the point of being unsettling because I having to hold/push myself back on the bars to keep from going over them.

What my observation is about the AE having or what I perceive as a limitation is that the YCCS doesn't have eyes; it can't see where you are in relationship to the apex of the curve, it can't feather the clutch as you approach, commit and execute the turn. Now, it could also be I need to learn more and that is why we have great forums like this, and it could also be that my bike has a different "mapping" of the YCCS control. I am all ears on this one. I just know that after 30K miles on my 06 AE, that is the one disatavantage I think the YCCS has over the "Old Skool" A models.

Now if you ask me if I would not buy an AE next time? I would say "Oh Hell Yes I Would". Though I think Yamaha should throw in some of the goodies that they put on the Venture and Tour Star Deluxe (cruse control, intercom w/CB, and 5 year warranty) after all the bikes are all the same price. (Oh God, did I just open another can of worms with that statement?) :ph34r:
Dont know what to tell you, It might be perception or it might be how you ride, I would not know without riding your bike. I know of no changes between yours and an 07 like mine. I do know that I ride pretty hard. The only problem I have had is forgetting to turn on the paddle shift and looking dumb when first taking off.

I have an '08 AE and never had an issue downshifting too abruptly. Just downshift at the same speeds you would on the A model. Downshifting in a turn is fine too, depending on the turn a gentle sweeper easy a real tight twisty not a great idea on any bike as IMO it can upset your balance. I set the entry speed first. If I see I have to scrub speed, perhaps a blind curve and I blew it, and it was tighter radius than i thought. I stand it up a little longer to the late apex and brake and lean as hard as needed. It is all throttle control IMO when you shift no matter if an A or AE.

I think that 90%+ cornering on the AE is a mixed bag but for me, who's razor sharp senses and orientation of immortality is long gone, the trade-offs are in my favor. The YCCS seems to have a pretty sophisticated algorithm concerning RPM matching on downshifts. If your's dosen't you may want to check it out. One thing I am sure of is that even when there is a weight shift to the front tire during one of those orafice constricting, peg scraping decreasing radius turn downshifts the system executes better than most mortals. Admittidly, there is a real security blanket feeling in having the ability to quickly disconnect the power (clutch) at any time thereby giving control back to your tires.

This is all a verry interesting read. I would like to add my comments by first reminding you all that I am, how did he put it? Oh ya, "They are for entry level, old men, who got in over thier (I think he meant "their") heads." This is my first bike and I ride it mainly interstate to work. The one time I wrecked it, controlling the clutch would not have saved me. As I have got more experience under my belt, 16000+ miles since Nov.'07, I have gotten a little more adventurous, for me. I have found many more ways to get home w/out going the interstate and I have come to like the twisties (like any good addiction ;) ). Anyway, my MSF instructor was familiar with the AE and worked with me a little extra to figure out how I could use the E-clutch, again as has already been stated, it's not clutchless, like a bike with a lever. Using the rear brake a little more in slow maneuvering helps the computer feather it for you. Also, when in the turn, it's all throttle control, and from what I've learned dumping the clutch in a turn could be very hazardous as the wheels need the power to maintain traction. Until you get used to it it will aggravate you. I have ridden with a couple people who were surprised that the shifting was so smooth as I rode with them. From a stop I was able to keep up with them and they couldn't even tell that I was shifting after I hit 2nd, hitting the throttle hard and not backing off till we where at speed. And when they rode it they where even more surprised. So it all comes down to your own wants and desires and what you are open to( not mentioning any names of people who do ride "better" than me and have more experiance as well, NMRoadRunner ^_^ ). Riding it a couple days probably won't change your mind, but give it time and you will most likely wonder what you where so confused about. :rolleyes:

Gene

Why do you say that , down shifts should occur before the corner, but hey I can shift up or down even in left handers with an AE as I dont have to get ny toe dragged on the road whilst trying to get it under the shift lever, and its smooth as silk shift even when hard on the gas.

AE over A anyday once the slow riding is worked out.

[SIZE=10pt]OK boys and girls, Ladies and Gentlemen, after reading your comments I am going to investigate my issue with down shifting on MY AE, maybe there is an adjustment to the YCCS for down shifting that would "slow down" the clutch engagement algorithm a tiny bit. [/SIZE]

In normal, every day situations down shifting is pretty smooth but I have always thought to myself that if I had a clutch lever under my fist it could be a little smoother. When I am out riding in the twisty stuff, and there is a lot of it in western VA and eastern WV, down shifting BEFORE a corner can be a jerky and sometimes iffy experience. My justification has been because the YCCS doesn’t know (see) where the entry point and apex are on the path, that the programming was based on the parameters of speed, RPM and gear selection. With a manual clutch the visual input from the pilot is what can "smooth out" the engagement issue.

So, I am going to burry my head into the tech manual to see if the YCCS can be adjusted. If any of you have already discovered this in you manuals I would appreciate a page number to look at as reference (sorry, just being lazy)

V.

<snip>...Is the AE a good option for someone who likes to accelerate hard and rip through the gears ...??
One can purchase any number of (old-fashioned) manual-gearbox type motorcycles -- but, very few (maybe only one...?) are available with a transmission that operates (for the rider, anyway) like a $200K Ferrari or Lambo. :unsure:

The FJR 'AE' :eek: :)

OK boys and girls, Ladies and Gentlemen, after reading your comments I am going to investigate my issue with down shifting on MY AE, maybe there is an adjustment to the YCCS for down shifting that would "slow down" the clutch engagement algorithm a tiny bit.

Please explain how you down shift , are you down shifting with a totally closed throttle , or partially open throttle?

I can , as I said in an earlier post shift in either direction as smooth as silk. Coming upto junctions I can down shift as fast as the YCCS will let me with a closed throttle and its smooth as, but also there is a huge amount of engine braking happening.

The key to smooth shifts on an AE is
steady throtle hand infact the key to riding and AE period is steady throtle hand down shifts close the gas , upshifts hold it steady ( as the acceleration starts to level off then shift) this way the ride is smooth as silk . :yahoo:

The only unsettling thing I find is mistakenly down shifting mid corner with a hand full of gas on ,,, now thats interesting..
:rolleyes:

I dont use the thumb part of the paddle shifter I use my finger under the upshift part and flick it to down shift , I find it easier than trying to fumble under the indicator and horn switch with a gloved thumb.

but hey I can shift up or down even in left handers with an AE as I dont have to get ny toe dragged on the road whilst trying to get it under the shift lever, and its smooth as silk shift even when hard on the gas.
AE over A anyday once the slow riding is worked out.
I am always in the correct gear before I enter a corner as any good rider should be, so I never have a problem.

I don't have to worry about working out slow riding, falling over in a car park has never been a problem with any manual clutch bike.

To me AE is really crap, but each to their own.

AE sales should tell you that it has not been accepted very well, even worse when there are still new 06 AE models available.

Second hand AE value is even worse.

AE sales should tell you that it has not been accepted very well, even worse when there are still new 06 AE models available.Second hand AE value is even worse.
It may be faulty logic to judge the merits of a technology by the buying habits of the great-unwashed "Bubbas"....? :unsure: :blink: :)