Front wheel tremoval Gen 2

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scubadave

Reaction score
Ok I have looked and have not found what I am looking for. I have found instructions for removal of the gen 1 front wheel, but nothing on a gen 2. What I need to know is if the 19mm allen wrench is still needed to pull the front axle. I have changed many tires on Honda's but never on an FJR Gen 2. On my gen 2 it looks like the axle has a bolt on the LH side the same as my ST, is the axle also threaded into the fork leg? Or can I remove the bolt and slide out the axle?

It is pretty much the same for all years. I think the genII's just have an extra pinch bolt on the fork. As for the 19mm wrench I used one of my spark plug sockets turned backwards and it worked fine.

clicky

Last edited by a moderator:
It is pretty much the same for all years. I think the genII's just have an extra pinch bolt on the fork. As for the 19mm wrench I used one of my spark plug sockets turned backwards and it worked fine.
clicky
Did you do a gen 1 or gen 2? I read the link you posted but that shows a gen 1. What I need to know is does the gen 2 have the same male threaded axle?

You are correct that the gen 2 has 4 pinch bolts, but it also has a bolt threaded into the axle on the left side.

The axle is not threaded into the fork leg. To do the job properly, you need the 19mm allen. However,in a pinch, you could leave the pinch bolts tight and remove the bolt from the left side of the axle. Yes, the pun was intended. Torquing after installation can't be done per the manual without the 19mm.

Mike

The axle is not threaded into the fork leg. To do the job properly, you need the 19mm allen. However,in a pinch, you could leave the pinch bolts tight and remove the bolt from the left side of the axle. Yes, the pun was intended. Torquing after installation can't be done per the manual without the 19mm.
Mike
Thanks that is what I needed to know.

I don't have a 19mm allen and it can be done without one. I use a spark plug socket backwards and am still be able to torque it down. The socket size I use is a 5/8th.

Pictures are probably better then me trying to explain it

jjjj001.jpg

jjjj002.jpg

I don't have a 19mm allen and it can be done without one. I use a spark plug socket backwards and am still be able to torque it down. The socket size I use is a 5/8th.
Pictures are probably better then me trying to explain it

jjjj001.jpg

jjjj002.jpg
That works too. Though I really cant see a reason why you can not just pull it in to the stop with the bolt and tighten up the pinch bolts on the right then torque it up. That is how every bike I have ever done worked.

That works too. Though I really cant see a reason why you can not just pull it in to the stop with the bolt and tighten up the pinch bolts on the right then torque it up. That is how every bike I have ever done worked.
I bet that would work. Honestly I have only taken off my tire one time and it was a long time ago. I am getting my new cycle hill tire changer on Monday and will be slapping on new tires before next weekend so I guess I can try it both ways then.

I bet that would work. Honestly I have only taken off my tire one time and it was a long time ago. I am getting my new cycle hill tire changer on Monday and will be slapping on new tires before next weekend so I guess I can try it both ways then.
That's the technique I use. After I torque the bolt, I loosen all the pinch bolts then torque them in the sequence in the manual.

That's the technique I use. After I torque the bolt, I loosen all the pinch bolts then torque them in the sequence in the manual.
They have a specific order to tighten the pinch bolts?? Every svc manual I have ever seen for other bikes is to leave the second side loose until after holding the front brake and bounce the forks a few times to make sure things are straight. Then tighten up the second side.

Yes, you can use the pinch bolts on the right fork leg to hold the axle while torquing the nut. But, even if you snug things up hand tight before tightening those pinch bolts, as the nut it tightens to spec there will be a certain (very small) amount of tension pulling the two fork legs together. Obviously this is undesirable. Any, even infinitesimally small, amount of tension pulling those forks together will result in added stiction in the forks and premature wear of the very thin lining on the bushings. Luckily, all you need to do is loosen all the pinch bolts again after the axle nut is torqued to spec and then tighten them all to spec. Bounce the forks a few times if it makes you feel good. ;)

I have never used the internal allen on the end of either axle, never. To remove just loosen the big axle bolt first. To tighten I have always just tightened the axle bolt and the axle never turns, for some reason. Just make sure the pinch bolts get tightenend last as mentioned.

They have a specific order to tighten the pinch bolts?? Every svc manual I have ever seen for other bikes is to leave the second side loose until after holding the front brake and bounce the forks a few times to make sure things are straight. Then tighten up the second side.
If you are facing the front of the bike and count the pinch bolts 1-4 from right to left (1 is closest to the axle nut). In the order 2>1>2 tighten to 15 ft lbs without performing temporary tightening. Check that the axle is flush and parrallel to the fork. Then tighten the other pinch bolts in the order 4>3>4 to 15 ft lbs.

Or make a 19mm Allen with a 1/2" x 2" bolt and two nuts. 1/2" bolts have a 3/4" head which is virtually identical to 19mm. Run the nuts onto the bolt and jam them together. I used a dab of epoxy to fix the nuts in place. Now you can use your tool (provide your own adolescent humor here) and a 19mm or 3/4" socket, box or open-end wrench to hold the axle. The tool is compact and rugged. I'd suggest good quality (class 5 or class 8) nuts and bolt, available at HD and Lowes, and not the cheap crap, also available at HD and Lowes.

pete

"Spring has sprung,

The grass has riz.

I wonder where

the flowers is?"