FUEL CELL - 06 - PROTOTYPE

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It doesn't look like it will fit Garauld's rack if you have the one with the integrated backrest mount. Has this been checked? He has made a rack with an angled tab raised up that allows his backrest to bolt to it. It looks as if the raised tab/mount portion may interfere with the forward side of the fuel cell.

Sampson and Garauld are in communication on this. Taken into consideration.

That works! Are the details available in another thread on the forum? I don't see details on your webpage.
Yes, I have exquisitely detailed photos of my design, measurements, modeling and fabrication. I still indeed need to do the FJRTech article for it, sadly enough.

Examples:

cardboard_floor1.jpg

I designed this *specifically* so the Givi lid would fully open without striking the cell:

Givi_open_side.jpg

And to clear the inboard portions of the GIVI rack:

right_rear.jpg

day1_right-side.jpg

Cell Capacity? Mfgr? Custom mounting rack or from cell mfgr? Cell wrap by Linda T.?
4.85 gallons. This system was custom-designed by me; I had BLM-Accessories.com fabricate it from my specs and photos only! Cell tankbag by LindaT, of course....

How much road grime/water/crap find its way under the rack? It's a little tough to see if the sides of the rack are closed up.
Zero dirt/road spoo intrusion. They sides are closed up... nary a drop of water intrudes:

enclosure.jpg

An entire storage area is created under the aux cell, enough for tools, tire repair kit & 12v compressor, a couple HID ballasts... what ever you want to store there! B)

storage_cavern.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very trick set-up Whiskey Charles!

For all you 06 owners out there, just remember that you can't copy his nifty set-up exactly as they made major changes to the 06 FJR's rear subframe from the previous generation models.

Still, that doesn't mean you can't adapt Warchild's design to the 06.

That works! Are the details available in another thread on the forum? I don't see details on your webpage.
Yes, I have exquisitely detailed photos of my design, measurements, modeling and fabrication. I still indeed need to do the FJRTech article for it, sadly enough.
Very nice!

Well my seat if being rebuilt right now, so I guess I have time to start designing the mount. Excellent idea with the storage compartment.

PTP

Are BLM going to make that available to the 'public'?

If so, I'm in line, GB anyone?

Andy

Are BLM going to make that available to the 'public'?
Probably. Most likely.

However....

Do not expect an inexpensive price. Trust me.

His shit is good - very, Very, VERY good; none better, in fact - but it's like anything in life, the Good Shit almost always cost a seriously pretty penny. :unsure: :eek:

I'll make the inquiry. So standby.

[SIZE=8pt]...for a potentially nasty sticker shock...![/SIZE]

What?...you didn't like my answer, warchild? My fuel cell rules!!!!!!!!!!

What?...you didn't like my answer, warchild? My fuel cell rules!!!!!!!!!!
Well, there is some elegance in it's sheer simplicity, I'll stipulate to that. :blink:

However, it kinda won't past Tech Inspection for those needing a cell for next year's Iron Butt Rally.

Still, it does appear to be.... uh.... very cost-effective. :D

His shit is good - very, Very, VERY good; none better, in fact - but it's like anything in life, the Good Shit almost always cost a seriously pretty penny.
Understood, I had his light brackets on my ST13 and they were a thing of beauty ........
Andy

His shit is good - very, Very, VERY good; none better, in fact - but it's like anything in life, the Good Shit almost always cost a seriously pretty penny.
Understood, I had his light brackets on my ST13 and they were a thing of beauty ........
Andy

I like good shit, when someone makes good shit, if I want it, I will pay for it. If I get a square deal, I am happy. If I get a good deal I hope the person I paid makes a friggen fortune for having a good square deal and the balls to make it happen (anyone thinks that is easy is crazy, being medicore is easy, being outstanding helloalota of work).

Case in point, I bought some sliders from a guy here. Somthin bout the sky and all. Man, they were 20 bucks more than the others I saw. But they were said to be outstanding................ I would buy them again in a heartbeat. OUTSTANDING product.

If I wanted cheap, I would not have bought an FJR, there are many cheaper sport touring bikes out there. OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!!!

**steps off soapbox**

//Cdog. OUT!!//

If I wanted cheap, I would not have bought an FJR, there are many cheaper sport touring bikes out there. OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!!!

There are??? I thought -- price wise -- the FJR WAS the value leader in the ST world. Honda's ST1300 is more expensive...any BMW ST is more expensive. What else is there? And I mean purpose-built Sport Touring motorcycles. Not some cobbled-up naked street fighter with soft bags...and don't EVEN mention the ZG1000 Concours. There's NO sport in that tour. And it's pretty much a moot point with the GTR1400 waiting in the wings.

Now if THAT Connie undercuts the FJR...hmmmmmmmmmm

Allllrighty, then, got some prices from BLM-Accessories.com.... ready? :D

2003-2006* FJR1300 4.8 gallon Gravity-fed Aux Fuel Cell (rectangular), complete turnkey system - $875 + shipping

2003-2006* FJR1300 4.8 gallon Gravity-fed Aux Fuel Cell, Givi-rack compliant ('T'-shaped), full turnkey system -$975 + shipping

These kits come with everything - everything - that you need to install this system: rack, cell, fuel throw valve, bulkhead fitting, grounding strap, fuel lines and filter, and free telephone support (as much as you need), to get your cell installed properly.

These are custom built, one at a time. If you want one by next riding season, contact him now.

2006 Owners: The cells will be identical across all years, but BLM-Accessories has not had a chance to build a 2006-specific rack yet. If anyone wants to donate their 2006 model to him for a few days so he can nail the 2006 mounting points down, you could probably get a good deal on the price. He is located in Bothell, Washington.

Use his "Contact Us' page on his site to get a hold of him.....

Last edited by a moderator:

There are??? I thought -- price wise -- the FJR WAS the value leader in the ST world. Honda's ST1300 is more expensive...any BMW ST is more expensive. What else is there? And I mean purpose-built Sport Touring motorcycles. Not some cobbled-up naked street fighter with soft bags...and don't EVEN mention the ZG1000 Concours. There's NO sport in that tour. And it's pretty much a moot point with the GTR1400 waiting in the wings.

My FJR Cost more than the ST1300, Like couple grand more. I looked, really

OKOKOK VALUE yes, Price, no, not cheapest, but best value I will go with

My FJR Cost more than the ST1300, Like couple grand more. I looked, really

OKOKOK VALUE yes, Price, no, not cheapest, but best value I will go with

I had to look...MSRP web prices

ST1300 = $14,399

FJR1300A = $13,799

ST1300ABS = $15,499

FJR1300AE = $15,599

Damn, that REALLY shows what a value the FJR is...only a $100 more than a motorcycle half its worth.

Seriously though, I was very surprised to find the FJR more than the ST. Some of you guys have spouted the ST's higher price for so long I was convinced. Guess it's true...don't believe everything you read on the Internet. :)

And about $7000 cheaper than the BMW things....

I need to look into an IBA approved 4.8g setup for my '06 or just keep to running some smaller rides for a while...

I had to look...MSRP web prices
ST1300 = $14,399

FJR1300A = $13,799

ST1300ABS = $15,499

FJR1300AE = $15,599

Damn, that REALLY shows what a value the FJR is...only a $100 more than a motorcycle half its worth.

Seriously though, I was very surprised to find the FJR more than the ST. Some of you guys have spouted the ST's higher price for so long I was convinced. Guess it's true...don't believe everything you read on the Internet. :)
The problem is you are comparing the wrong prices. Here would be the correct comparison.

FJR1300A = $13,799

ST1300ABS = $15,499

Since the FJR1300A has ABS and the ST does not have the electric shift option. The FJR is $1700 less.

But, but, but....

If you compare the top-of-the-line FJR with the top-of-the-line ST, then my numbers work.

Using your comparison, which is 100% legitimate, then the ST1300 standard is an orphan with no comparison in the marketplace, so at $14,399, it is NO bargain at all, making the ST1300ABS, at $15,499, the "Stupid Buy of the Decade".

Honda product planners may be ignorant, but they're not stupid. I wouldn't be at all surprised seeing a completely revamped ST, or possibly an entirely new model, in the next year or so, ala Kawasaki.