Fuel pump whine

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sahara81

Reaction score
On my 2015, engine off, key on, I hear a high pitched whine. Braving the hot engine, I put my ear up to the left side, just below the fuel tank, near the seat and can tell the sound is coming from there. I'm sure that's where the fuel pump is located. BTW, the engine doesn't have to be hot, just the key on at any time....

Anyone hear this on their 2015 or Gen III?

I'd be worried when it STOPS making that sound...either you shut it off or you're walking at that point!

BTW Mike, your '06 made the same sound!
coolsmiley02.gif

--G

Interestingly enough, but my DL650 fuel pump, TWN's old bike, had a low frequency whine from that area.

Guess what? Yep, bad fuel pp. The new one, now old, still sounds like a 600cc on the pipe.

It's the flux capacitor, and that sound makes me smile.

Ride more, worry less, and turn the key off when you park the bike. (Don't you LOVE the Gen3 signoff? "See you next time!")

Last edited by a moderator:
That sound is known as napistration. All vehicles with electric fuel pumps make some degree of eculation. If that high pitched whine should stop while the ignition is on, you need to go to code 997 and reset!!

I should not post while drinking.

Fuel pump Haiku
Key on makes it whine

Just the pump making pressure

Whine Wine is a good thing
Fixed it, Fred. To the OP, the sound will go for a few seconds after the ignition is turned on. It stops after the fuel rail comes up to pressure.

Ok, all you deaf *$£^&s, stop making fun of the OP.

On the Gen 3 there is a whine that isn't the fuel pump. It sounds to me like an electronic inverter, probably used to generate 5V for its logic stuff from the bike's 12V, possibly inside the meter display.

It starts when the ignition turns on, can barely be heard with the engine running, continues if the engine is stopped other than by the key (stop switch, side-stand or whatever).

Mine does the same thing, and no, it is not the fuel pump. This sound continues after the fuel rail comes up to pressure. My 08 did not do this. I know this because I had to leave the key on to keep the wind screen up to clean it. (Damn auto-retract
rolleyes.gif
).

Ummmm, Eculation? I'm sure it's a real word, but, um, eculation?

Ok, ok, it's not really a whine, it's more like a high pitched, irritating electronic sound.....I was only guessing it's the fuel pump. My '06 did not make this sound and I'm not really worried about it, just curious. It sounds (see what I did there?) like others have the same, uh, sound.

Hey, this thing is a rocket and it scares the deer, so, there's that....

My opinion on sound frequencies higher than mid-range should not be taken seriously. That part of the audio spectrum has been lost to me for many years.

Fuel pump Haiku
Key on makes it whine

Just the pump making pressure

Whine is a good thing
Just to add insult to injury, the turn-on fuel pump active time is nothing to do with fuel pressure. Easy test: turn the ignition on with the stop switch activated, naturally there's no fuel pump whine. But turn the stop switch off, if you do so within the normal fuel pump time, the fuel pump will come on for the remaining time only. Turn the stop switch off after the pump would normally have stopped, the pump will not come on at all.

I once had occasion to empty my tank to simulate running dry (experimenting on the gauge sender). To get the last of the fuel out until it ran dry I disconnected the fuel pipe from the fuel rail and held it over a container

(Click on image for larger view)

then turned on the ignition.

Yes, three seconds and the pump stopped, even though obviously zero pressure. Had to keep cycling the ignition to get it to pump a spurt at a time.

So, it's a timed whine, not pressure