Full page FJR ad in Rider

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The numbers you're looking for are here, somewhere...? This has been discussed before. I seem to remember that the 1500/yr number for FJRs in America is about right. Even at that, it's 'small potatoes' compared to the numbers H-D and Honda sell.

As for BMW, they have a very small % of the U.S. market (something like 5~7%?) -- and, if they're the 'big dog' in Sport-Touring, then it's merely 'scraps' for the rest of them.

To make money in American motosports -- it's either cruzers or wheelers. I think companies (like Yamaha) hedge their bets with odd-balls like sport-tourers and dual-sports -- just to be on the safe side; sell a few more units; and, maybe?, cultivate another market segment?

But, hey -- what do I know? I'm still poor..... :( :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
Mammy ought to send a photographer out to NAFO to get some fodder for future ads. All the FJR owners waving hi (well, most of them, a few folks probably waving something else), some action shots from the days tours, some quotes from us happy owners, and of course the obligatory picture of the person that rode the furtherest to be there (probably Gypsy...). You know, a bike for people that ride & enjoy riding. Gotta be better than those ads from folks used to making the phoney testosterone ads for cruisers.
On a side note, I saw an ad in today's Philly Inquirer for an '00 FLt something or other Harley, guy had only put 700 miles on it in 7 years...
You surprised?

The guy pro'lly only lived a half mile from the bar. That's 100 rides every year!!!

(I wish I got in 100 rides a year)

Hey guys. Got my latest volume of RIDER magazine the other day. Sat on the can this morning to alleviate the pressure from last night's escargot and shortrib dinner, and lo and behold! A full spread ad of the '08 feej. A beautiful photo, I might mention.
Anyhoo, I do not remember ever seeing an ad like this from Yami (for the FJR). To me, this kind of proves several things:

1. The ST market is starting to become a significant player in the overall space.

2. The feej is profitable enough to increase exposure through commercial advertising.

3. Yami is not willing to let Kawi or other ST mfgs take any more limelight.

4. Dealer's may be looking for some air cover to alleviate stalled inventory of remaining '07s. Killing the PDP will do that!

Either way, I am loving it!

Discuss as you wish.

-BD
I nominate myself to do Road Tales piece about my solo 5000mi ride from Miami up the Mississippi River into Canada, through the Adirondacks and back down the East coast on my 05 ABS, touting the advantages of the ST over the cruiser (V-Star 1100) that I took last year. Rider magazine is the right media outlet for guys like us (and the feejer) because it has a wide reader base. Motorcyclist and CycleWorld cater to the sportbikers and there are various media outlets for HD/cruisers. I don't consider the custom choppers in our class because no one in thier right mind rides a chopper for more that 20 mins at a time. lol. I've see the Concours and was surprised at how bulky it was. The truth is simply that, this class of Japanese ST is competing directly with the BMW line, which has been the ST standard for years ( at almost double the price). BMW dealerships are spread thin in the US. The feejer is looking real good. I'm glad to be a member here guys.

P.S. That ad in Rider was a deciding factor in giving in to trying an ST and the FJR, which I just purchased two weeks ago.

Heres the ad in May 2008 Motorcyclist issue that I've had about a week or so.

I saw one on the road yesterday on Rt 202 N near Orange MA. I do love that black color. I hope it comes around again when it's time to replace my '05. But this bike shows no indication of giving up. Just keeps going and going and going...........
IMG_3917.jpg

You surprised?
The guy pro'lly only lived a half mile from the bar. That's 100 rides every year!!!

(I wish I got in 100 rides a year)
But did you see how many miles the pick-up truck and trailer had on them? Maybe the bike has been from coast to coast. :rolleyes: The 100 miles wasn't solely to the bar, but on and off the trailer.

Black, Blue, Cherry, Silver, no matter how you slice it that is one nice looking bike. The ST has too much fairing, the Kow is too Darth Vader looking, the BMW is to......expensive.

This one is just right! Yes, I am probably partial.

Last year I took a trip with some guys at work to ocean city Maryland, my first "biker" trip.

I had the only "rice burner" in the bunch.

That weekend I didnt hear the motor on my bike once, I carried crap for the others with no storage, discovered that I didnt need pins, tat's, leather chaps, ect ect.

Anyway, I had a great time, had the best looking bike there, and was just starting to ride when everyone else was ready to pull into a bar.

Since we got back, others are interested in ST, and may purchase a fine example soon if they can just get ride of the assless chaps :glare: and ride to ride!

I love the way this bike looks and feels, I just didnt find out sitting on the crapper :rolleyes:

I think that started in the late 80's with the Honda Pacific Coast (anyone remember that one?).
Yep. Had one. '98 model.

What was I thinking?

Was probably a good starter bike, aside from the weight. It was heavy. But it was underpowered, which was a good thing. It was ugly too from most angles--got asked once at a stoplight if it was a scooter. It had an 800 V-Twin in it so no it wasn't a scooter, but more like a scooter on 'roids.

But the trunk on that baby was amazing.

Moved on from that to a naked Kawi ZR-7--fun little cheap bike.

And now of course the FJR . . which is probably going to get me killed, given all the bike wrecks reported on here. I think it would be better for my health to buy a cruiser because I wouldn't be tempted to push it like I am on the FJR.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it would be better for my health to buy a cruiser because I wouldn't be tempted to push it like I am on the FJR.
You might want to rethink that. On my ride yesterday I passed a harley full dresser wedged under the front end of a suburban. Two police cruisers and a tow truck were there when I passed. It was on an deceptively off camber turn maybe 150 feet from the start of the road. He couldn't have been going too fast when he lost it but he went all the way over to the oncomming lane's shouder. The Suburban seemed to have tried to swerve off the road to miss the bike but the bike nailed him. Definatley rider error. (or lousy handling, which the pilot should have known about)

I think it would be better for my health to buy a cruiser because I wouldn't be tempted to push it like I am on the FJR.
You might want to rethink that. On my ride yesterday I passed a harley full dresser wedged under the front end of a suburban. Two police cruisers and a tow truck were there when I passed. It was on an deceptively off camber turn maybe 150 feet from the start of the road. He couldn't have been going too fast when he lost it but he went all the way over to the oncomming lane's shouder. The Suburban seemed to have tried to swerve off the road to miss the bike but the bike nailed him. Definatley rider error. (or lousy handling, which the pilot should have known about)
All things being equal, I'd be better off going slower with a given skill set. The FJR does not say "take it easy, enjoy the ride" when you're on it. It begs you to whack open the throttle out of corners, to see if you can rub off a little more of that "chicken strip" when you're at the dragon, etc.

Your example of one unskilled HD rider doesn't change that.

Discipline of the right wrist is something I want to be in control of...not a built-in horsepower regulator inherent in the design.

And all things being equal...if someone pulls out in front of me while I'm at highway speed, I want a bike that handles better-not worse.

Yes, the FJR does want to lope along at a higher speed, but that has nothing to do with self control...and I'm sure that tendency towards fast is nothing compared to riding on a sport bike. Though I wouldn't know - not having ridden a sport bike.

Discipline of the right wrist is something I want to be in control of...not a built-in horsepower regulator inherent in the design.
On a nice twisty road, I'm going to attack it a lot differently if I'm on the FJR than if I'm on a cruiser. And my approach on the FJR is going to carry higher risks. I'm not making a judgment--I do ride the FJR, after all, and have no plans on selling it.

Same rider, same "discipline"--my point is the "nature" of the bike can have a prodding effect on the rider.

Yes, it can be argued that on that same road I might be in better shape on the FJR under some circumstances if something should come up: better braking, better handling, etc. But most of the time what gets us in trouble is too much speed and not enough skill and experience to deal with it.

Last time I went to the Dragon I had a heart-in-the-throat moment or two, because I was riding it like I was on an FJR (I was). On a cruiser I imagine my approach would have been different.

Your mileage may vary.

Honda has just announced that they are shutting down production of all motorcycles in the USA and returning the manufacturing back to Japan. The people currently employed at the motorcycle plant are being offered jobs at their automotive plant in Marysville Ohio.

Now why do you suppose Honda (the worlds largest selling motorcycle manufacturer) would shut down their US plant and ship it back to Japan? Although they did not give a reason, it is obvious it's because even with gasoline costs nearing the $5 buck per gallon range, people are not buying enough motorcycles to make it cost effective to continue building the bikes here.

When I bought my '08 FJR a few weeks ago, I had been dealing with my local dealer for 3 months. When he first got in this '08 FJR, he wanted $15,600.00 OTD and would not even consider anything lower. I checked several other dealers throughout Arizona and couldn't get anything much less. I almost bought my bike from a Colorado & Ohio shop, until after three months, my local dealer suddenly said he would match my best deal (adding on what it would have cost me to go get the other bike, of course). So after all of this time, my local dealer suddenly said I could have the bike for $13,800 OTD. Why did he suddenlt reduce the cost of the bike by $1800 bucks? It has to do with sales.

I also own a 2007 Suzuki Burgman 650 scooter. It gets 52mpg and I can fit 4 bags of groceries under the seat. I bought it because it was costing me $140 every two weeks to fill up my diesel pick-up. Since buying my scooter a year ago, I have only put 1500 miles on my truck. I understand Honda and Yamaha are introducing a completely new line of scooters for 2009. By then, gas will probably be in the $6 per gallon range. Why is it that [us] Americans refuse to ride scooters for local travel. Hell, my 650 burgman will smoke almost any V-Twin out there. As the cost of gas continues to climb, I tend to think more people will convert to 2-wheel travel, whether they want to or not. People in Japan and Europe wised up years ago. I know the people that commute 60 or more miles each day to work will not do that ride on a scooter and I feel sorry for those folks. But reality says, either move closer to work or suffer the consequences. Gas is not coming down. I think we would see a whole lot more bikes and scooters on the road if it were not for the dealers ripping people off on the prices of their bikes. Just like cars & trucks, the dealers profits are all included in the MSRP. These BS fees like Doc fees, setup fees, wipe my ass fees are all pure profit and are one of the major reasons you are not seeing more bikes being sold in this country yet. Many shops in Arizona and Florida are adding as much as $1500 or more to the cost of a motorcycle in BS fees.

OK, I've added my 2 cents worth. I'm glad I'm now retired and don't have to drive to work any longer. I once drove 80 miles each way to work. I really feel for those of you that are doing that today. Now I will sit back and wait for all of the negative feedback I usually get after making comments like this. I guess I have too much time on my hands to read and write on my newly discovered FJR Forum.com.

Black, Blue, Cherry, Silver, no matter how you slice it that is one nice looking bike. The ST has too much fairing, the Kow is too Darth Vader looking, the BMW is to......expensive.
This one is just right! Yes, I am probably partial.
Funny! That is exactly how I looked at it when I bought my FJR last month. I could buy any one I wanted and after close consideration I chose the FJR. The only close contender was the BMW but could not justify the increased cost. I must say I have not been disappointed with my decision.