fuse block options

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cali_rider

Reaction score
I am looking into a fuse block for my accesories to get wired into and I see all sorts of different price ranges....I saw the Blue Sea ones for $39.99 and they go up to around $100 so whats the big deal here? Its just a connection point, right? Heck my Centec on my old BMW wasnt that great but worked...Any recomendations and why? The Fuzeblock is the only one I can see really has any added benefit with the switchable or non switchable accesory option. I would love to see your mounting as well...pictures are great.

FuzeBlock is the bomb. The convenience is well worth the price of admission, IMO.

Blue Sea is too big. I've got one in a box that I'll sell you cheap if you really want one. But it's just a fuse panel, no switching relay, etc.

The other ones are all too kludgey for my tastes. If you are going to go that route just make your own and save some money.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fuzeblock, the FZ-1 does
I guess I didnt look that close at it...Thats very cool!although if the relay goes then I need to buy a whole new fuzeblock? I ask becasue the relay on my centech went out. Also, the website says just one wire to the positive battery and one wire to the negative terminal of the battery for ground but the Yamaha dealer just told me not to be grounding my accesories to the battery....(most likely becasue they are now replacing the wire harness now becasue of the ground spider)....he had tried telling me that my accesories currently being ground on the battery is what casued it most likely and that I needed to add a fuseblock. I asked him how a fuseblock with the ground going to the battery does anything different for that issue and he told me that I had to find another place but I cant use the battery....so, where does everyone ground their terminal box?

I've used this Blue Sea for powering accessories on three FJR's. On each installation, I powered the fuse block directly off the battery via 2 #10s w/o switching. If you want a switched option, just add a relay in the hot wire.

Many options out there...have fun!

--G

+1 for the Fuze Block. I have one installed under my seat and have been very happy with it. A few of my friends have installed ones after seeing mine and are also happy.

I particularly like the ability to change the circuit from switched to constant by just moving the fuse. Most importantly, however, I don't have to remove the tank to wire up another farkle.

I will be happy to send you a picture if you would like.

Shag

Fuzeblock, the FZ-1 does
I guess I didnt look that close at it...Thats very cool!although if the relay goes then I need to buy a whole new fuzeblock? I ask becasue the relay on my centech went out. Also, the website says just one wire to the positive battery and one wire to the negative terminal of the battery for ground but the Yamaha dealer just told me not to be grounding my accesories to the battery....(most likely becasue they are now replacing the wire harness now becasue of the ground spider)....he had tried telling me that my accesories currently being ground on the battery is what casued it most likely and that I needed to add a fuseblock. I asked him how a fuseblock with the ground going to the battery does anything different for that issue and he told me that I had to find another place but I cant use the battery....so, where does everyone ground their terminal box?
You need to ground your fuze block to the battery. In theory you could ground to the battery by way of chassis, but not recommended. That tech sounds a little . . OFF

I would think location is up to the DIYer. It's not the where, but the how that what I like.
I bought this bracket from a forum member that goes under the rear seat. FuzeBlock used.

fuze%20block.jpg

I also used a Centech on my BMW. I like the FuzeBlock as well and the bonus of having a circuit hot at all times if I want.

I guess I didnt look that close at it...Thats very cool!although if the relay goes then I need to buy a whole new fuzeblock?
Nope. Just move all the fuses over to the "constant" position and it still works like any other fuse panel. If you want it switched you can add an external relay at that time. But I have yet to hear of a FuzeBlock that had a failed relay. Just follow the manufacturers recommendations about maximum load current (they advise splitting the load switched and unswitched).

I'm have the Universal panel from Electrical Connection. I like the 10 ga. feed as the FZ1 only has 12 ga. Everything is switched via the relay, and only my GPS has constant power.

https://www.electrica...plate-02202.htm
Of course, any decent MacGyver would know that you can use a 10 gauge feeder if you really want to. You can just pull a few strands out at the FB end. Yeah, that little spot in the wire will not be 10 gauge anymore, but the entire rest of the length will be, and it's the cumulative resistance over the length that you are concerned with.

Of course all of this is pretty much overkill anyway as 10 gauge wire is rated for 55 amps, and 12 gauge is rated for 41 amps. If you are drawing more than 574 watts of accessories power through your FuzeBlock then you are definitely going to have certain other problems. :huh:

edit - Oh yeah, the bike shop tech is apparently an electrical 'tard. When you add accessories wired direct off the battery none of that additional current goes through the key switch. So that is what they should be encouraging you to do.

I still like the DIY that Dale first spec'd out.

https://www.fjr-tips.org/mods/pdb/pdb.html
I use this one and have had great success with it. I power the GPS, heated grips, and fork LEDs with it. Both main leads go to the battery (I think that tech is pulling your leg Cali_Rider). On a Gen II, you can mount it around the glovebox area; I have the strip velcro'd to the rear wall of the glovebox while the relay is velcro'd to the front (exterior surfaces of box of course). The velcro holding the strip is really not up to the task as the heat from the radiator tends to liquify the velcro's adhesive backing a bit, but it's stayed put generally (I'm not keen on drilling holes into the glovebox). At some point, I plan to switch over to the Fuzeblock and set it up under the seat...just to clean things up a bit.

I would think location is up to the DIYer. It's not the where, but the how that what I like.
I bought this bracket from a forum member that goes under the rear seat. FuzeBlock used.

fuze%20block.jpg

I also used a Centech on my BMW. I like the FuzeBlock as well and the bonus of having a circuit hot at all times if I want.
Where did you get those fancy wires?

For those running the fuzeblock, what did you guys do for a wire harness to the battery? Cyclenyz sells one but its 35 bucks....seems pricey given that the relay is part of the block and not the wire harness...

Where did you get those fancy wires?

For those running the fuzeblock, what did you guys do for a wire harness to the battery? Cyclenyz sells one but its 35 bucks....seems pricey given that the relay is part of the block and not the wire harness...
Looks like the wiring harness kit you can get with the Fuzeblock... $33.99 at Realtimeindustries.com (there is a forum discount you can get also).