FuzeBlock vs Centech?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikerskier

Reaction score
Getting ready to buy and install a fuse block and hope I can get some good feedback on folks experiences with these 2 products and their install ease for my '05. Looks like they are similarly priced. It seems a built in relay is also a good option. And I do like the tail cone install but sounds like there are limitations on that location on a Gen 1.

Are there no local vendor options at auto parts stores other than buying online? Looks like I do have an option at Auburns place to get a Fuzeblock on Tech Day in the PNW.

You can't really compare the two since they are functionally different. IMO the Fuzeblock is the better product simply because you don't need to install a seperate relay, and you can decide which wired-in devices get switched power and which don't.

No experience with Centech. Have and really like Fuzeblock. Resides in tray under rider's seat next to PCIII on Gen I (relocated Starcom to under pillion's seat). Easily tapped into tailight wire for switched relay. Opting for (un)switched circuitry is a matter of which two of three sockets into which to slip each mini blade fuse. Easily changed.

You can't really compare the two since they are functionally different. IMO the Fuzeblock is the better product simply because you don't need to install a seperate relay, and you can decide which wired-in devices get switched power and which don't.
Well that's not strictly true, since the EB fuseblock enables you to have more choices of capacity. EB has a number of different plug & play relays kits available for the PC8 all the way to 50A.

top-open-wired.jpg

I think both the EB & Fuzeblock are excellent products, and both have pros and cons. I for instance could see a use for both, for different applications.

Last edited by a moderator:
Getting ready to buy and install a fuse block and hope I can get some good feedback on folks experiences with these 2 products and their install ease for my '05. Looks like they are similarly priced. It seems a built in relay is also a good option. And I do like the tail cone install but sounds like there are limitations on that location on a Gen 1. Are there no local vendor options at auto parts stores other than buying online? Looks like I do have an option at Auburns place to get a Fuzeblock on Tech Day in the PNW.

Ralph - If you can wait until I get back from the other side of the planet, I've got a new Centech AP-1 I'll give you. You'd still be on your own to install it. Shoot me an email or PM if you're interested.

I'm with tesla on this one. PC-8 is the bee's knees.
I've got a Fuzeblock that works great for me, but yeah, that looks like an even better piece. Esp. noting its higher amperage capacities for the circuits and the panel.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got the Centech Ap-2, which has switched and unswitched outlets. It needs an external relay, but Eastern Beaver makes a nice pre-wired setup similar to that for their own fuseblock.

I like the Centech, but the Fuzeblock or EB seems like the better choice for several reasons:

1. Semi-sealed box: the Centech is open at the bottom, which means you either need to wrap it up in Silicon tape or it "could" get exposed. I have mine bolted into the bottom of the seat tray, so unlikely to get exposed. But why worry.

2. Relay built in (for Fuzeblock). Makes a cleaner task of running a relay wire.

If I did it over again, I'd do a Fuseblock or EB. BTW, the EB wiring looms are the best.

I too am looking for a power distribution bar.

I'm impressed by the EB wire kit. What length did you order?

Where did you install it?

Thanks

What he said. And if you change your mind about what you want switched or unswitched, it's just a matter of moving the fuse over one notch.

I bought a Centech at a show and was going to use it, but didn't want to have the trouble of an external relay, so I got the Fuzeblock instead and like it a lot...

The Centech looked OK, but I wasn't very impressed with the quality of the circuit tracers on the board...Fuzeblock felt like a better made product.

No experience with the Eastern Beaver, but it looks like a great product... :)

I have the Fuzeblock, but if I was starting over today, I would go with the Eastern Beaver PC-8, because of the capacity. Mounting a single relay is not a problem, especially with they provide a nice harness.

OBD

Mind if I add the PC-8 from Eastern Beaver to your comparison? Looks like it compares favorably to Fuzeblock and Centech.
https://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Products.../PC-8/pc-8.html

+1 on eastern beaver. I don't know how many circuits you need but I used the one below and it works great for me. I have all of my heated gear on one switched circuit, I have one 5 amp non switched and I have an extra 10 amp switched circuit that I'm not using yet. I put it in the battery compartment and didn't have to run a big ass hot wire under my tank and I didn't use up any of my space under the seat.

3cs-complete_0365.jpg

I too am looking for a power distribution bar. I'm impressed by the EB wire kit. What length did you order?

Where did you install it?

Thanks

It's been a while. but I think I got 48" leads, snaked them through the fairing above the headlights and mounted the PDB to the frame at the rear of the glove box. It looked like a factory install when I was done.

For tripping the relay I tapped into the headlight relay wire: green/blue. Power is on after bike is started.

Everything powered ( GPS, AVCC, grip Heatroller ) is up front so it made sense to me to have the fuses there also.

The fuzeblock has power limitations that may or may not be an issue for you. This is from the fuzeblock website:

"Each circuit can handle up to 10A (120W). The total amperage used via the relay (switched power) should not exceed 30A (360W). The total amperage on the constant side should not exceed 30A (360W). The total amperage for the entire FZ-1 should not exceed 30A (360W)."

I used a fuzeblock and I am happy with the decision, but I don't have any high powered items going through it (heated clothing, extra lights). If I did, I would have used the Eastern Beaver solution.

So the bottom line is (at least for me), if you don't have high powered farkles, go with the fuzeblock. If you plan to put high powered farkles through your fuses, go with Eastern Beaver.

Choice for me was between EB and Fuzeblock.

Went with EB, relays do wear out and I wanted to be able to replace it easily or jump it out in an emergency.

I run my heated gear through the Fuzeblock on the constant side, on the switched side I run my Zumo, Starcom, Amplirider and Val1 and haven't had any issues