FZ 1 MIRRORS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it really easy to take the emgos apart and replace the rivet? I took a quick look and didn't see anything in the "ball" housing...

FWIW I have no issues with mine currently, either with being loose or vibration, but they only have a few hundred miles on them.

Oddly enough, on an FZ-1 you can't see diddly with FZ-1 mirrors. Here is something many of us have done on an FZ, you might like it even better with your FZ mirrors on the FJR.

Remove the mirrors and drill the rivet out. Use a vise grip or something to hold the parts together because they are loaded and come flying out when the rivet stops being a rivet.

Swap the left base to the right side and the right base to the left side. This will essential mount them upside down from there normal positioning. Bolt the stalk to the base using the spring washers and a bolt and nut to replace the rivet. Some people have also put a toilet tank washer between the base and mirror stalk. Some have reported that vibration is lessened by doing this. YMMV. I didn't notice any difference.

What this does is extends them out a small amount and lowers the mirrors. Visibility is improved further still and, on an FZ-1, wind turbulence off the mirrors is greatly reduced. I do not know if the same would happen with the FJR aerodynamic package.

I'll probably swap my already modified mirrors from the FZ to the FJR some boring rainy weekend this winter.

Swap the left base to the right side and the right base to the left side. This will essential mount them upside down from there normal positioning.
Doesn't it get confusing, if you're seeing things upside down and on the other side's mirror? That would just freak me out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't it get confusing, if you're seeing things upside down and on the other side's mirror? That would just freak me out.

:grin:

I don't know about the 05's and earlier but the 06 mirrors are okay. I see a bit of my elbows but their better than my previous bike. God forbid you lazy bastards have to move your head a half inch to check your mirrors. :p