FZ1 mirrors

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
www.DennisKirk.com Go to the metric section, and then to the handlebars section. Mirrors will come up as an option. Emgo FZ1 CF mirror shipped UPS Ground for $32. If you live in the upper Midwest and order before noon, you'll have mirror(s) within 2 days. DK rocks.

Emgo mirrors are crappy compared to the OE Yamaha mirrors. And the fake carbon fiber is, well, fake looking.

www.DennisKirk.com Go to the metric section, and then to the handlebars section. Mirrors will come up as an option. Emgo FZ1 CF mirror shipped UPS Ground for $32. If you live in the upper Midwest and order before noon, you'll have mirror(s) within 2 days. DK rocks.

Emgo mirrors are crappy compared to the OE Yamaha mirrors. And the fake carbon fiber is, well, fake looking.

Oh jeez, I know you hate the cf Fred! They actually look OK with the cerulean silver. Anyway. I see clearly with them. What is better about the OEM FZ1s?

Oh jeez, I know you hate the cf Fred! They actually look OK with the cerulean silver. Anyway. I see clearly with them. What is better about the OEM FZ1s?
To be honest, I did not do a direct compare of the Emgo FZ1's to the Mamma Yamma's. If they made some without the cheesy CF look I may have, but just couldn't get past that. I have compared Emgo knockoffs to other OE mirrors in the past and the Emgos were always lighter weight plastic assemblies with plastic mirrors vs the metal frames and glass in the OE's. Yes the mirror surround is plastic on the OEs, but the rest is all metal.

Was that $32 for a pair? If so that really was a good deal. (Maybe there's a way to strip the CF veneer off? ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:

To be honest, I did not do a direct compare of the Emgo FZ1's to the Mamma Yamma's. If they made some without the cheesy CF look I may have, but just couldn't get past that. I have compared Emgo knockoffs to other OE mirrors in the past and the Emgos were always lighter weight plastic assemblies with plastic mirrors vs the metal frames and glass in the OE's. Yes the mirror surround is plastic on the OEs, but the rest is all metal.

Was that $32 for a pair? If so that really was a good deal. (Maybe there's a way to strip the CF veneer off? ;-)
a buddy of mine had Emgo FZ1's. They look nice but at 55mph you would not be able to see anything.

I agree that the stock mirrors are not quite wide enough to see behind me. On the other hand they provide some protection from the elements for my hands. Guess it's a trade off.

I'm somewhat interested in this mod as well for my '06, but probably only if it helps with the "right mirror vibrations" issue. Do the engine vibes affect the right FZ1 mirror like it does the right FJR mirror?

Bunsen

I'm somewhat interested in this mod as well for my '06, but probably only if it helps with the "right mirror vibrations" issue. Do the engine vibes affect the right FZ1 mirror like it does the right FJR mirror?

Bunsen
No. The FZ-1 mirrors mount differently though they are a bit wider and higher than the NewGen OEM mirrors. As I understand the NewGen mirrors have a "washer stack" between the nuts and the front subframe. The "stack" must be done properly, or can be rearranged to take care of the buzzy vibe. IIRC, kaitsdad did a write-up on that procedure.

Here are a few links for you to check:

Click and read, #1

Click and read, #2

Click and read, #3

.....and there are many posts about this issue.

"Google"; "mirror vibration site:fjrforum.com" Clicky here!

Bunsen
No. The FZ-1 mirrors mount differently though they are a bit wider and higher than the NewGen OEM mirrors. As I understand the NewGen mirrors have a "washer stack" between the nuts and the front subframe. The "stack" must be done properly, or can be rearranged to take care of the buzzy vibe. IIRC, kaitsdad did a write-up on that procedure.

Here are a few links for you to check:

Click and read, #1

Click and read, #2

Click and read, #3

.....and there are many posts about this issue.

"Google"; "mirror vibration site:fjrforum.com" Clicky here!
I just did mine last weekend. I did not see anything that looked like a stack of washers. I just removed 2 nuts inside the fairing and put them back on the bolts on the the new mirror.

best of all NO RT MIRROR VIBRATION

Hmmmm,

Although I'm sure they're very effective, they kinda remind me of My Favorite Martian.

DSC00656.jpg

200y2l4.jpg

I am not an owner of an FJR "YET" but hope to be in the next few months. After looking at the photo's I am really hoping this is a mod that will not be necessary for me. What a great way to jack up the looks of a great bike. Sorry but I think they are extremely UGLY.

I am not an owner of an FJR "YET" but hope to be in the next few months. After looking at the photo's I am really hoping this is a mod that will not be necessary for me. What a great way to jack up the looks of a great bike. Sorry but I think they are extremely UGLY.

form follows function.

When you find that you cannot see behind you it will only take one close call and you may think otherwise

I have an idea. Don't do it. Nobody's going to make you put more functional mirrors on your ride. Just continue to ride around with the stockers on, so long as you can see what's behind you...

After looking at the photo's I am really hoping this is a mod that will not be necessary for me.
And it very well may not be needed by you. Some of us are above the "norm" when it comes to physical size and width. I have an OldGen FJR and at 6'2", 32" inseam @ 235#, over 1/2 of my mirrors are blocked by my shoulders or elbows. It so happens that some owners of the NewGen bikes are rather "wide of girth" (or shoulder) and have the same issue because of their seated position.

This is merely a fix for those who need it or care to have an unobstructed view behind their bikes, not a beauty statement.

As Stormrider says:

form follows function.
And it is a matter of function over form.
Your Safety May Vary. :eek:

[

quote]And it is a matter of function over form.

Your Safety May Vary. :eek:

I stand corrected

I still cant believe that some forum member has not engineered a short spacer to get the stock 06/07 mirror out a few extra inches to get you past your elbows. Doesnt anyone have something in the works? How tough can this be?

GreyGoose

I still cant believe that some forum member has not engineered a short spacer to get the stock 06/07 mirror out a few extra inches to get you past your elbows. Doesnt anyone have something in the works? How tough can this be?
GreyGoose
It could be that the studs that hold the mirrors (they require 2 nuts to attach them to the front subframe) are welded to the mirror base. So any spacer would require a different fastener to account for the then "too short" stud, and there is limited space under the nosepiece to do any work.

I suppose one could machine a spacer for the mirror studs to bolt through (studs are 7/8" long) and have bolts to attach that assembly to the bike. It could be offset to raise the mirrors vertical slightly as well as extend them outward 2"+ from the nosepiece. It might be a little unsightly, but the inventor could make it from stainless steel or include a rubber boot/slip-cover. I wonder about the extra stress wind leverage might put on the mild steel subframe wing that supports the mirrors?

Are you volunteering? Do you have access to a lathe or milling machine? If you build it they will probably come! What do you think, $20-$30-$40 per pair?

GreyGoose
It could be that the studs that hold the mirrors (they require 2 nuts to attach them to the front subframe) are welded to the mirror base. So any spacer would require a different fastener to account for the then "too short" stud, and there is limited space under the nosepiece to do any work.

I suppose one could machine a spacer for the mirror studs to bolt through (studs are 7/8" long) and have bolts to attach that assembly to the bike. It could be offset to raise the mirrors vertical slightly as well as extend them outward 2"+ from the nosepiece. It might be a little unsightly, but the inventor could make it from stainless steel or include a rubber boot/slip-cover. I wonder about the extra stress wind leverage might put on the mild steel subframe wing that supports the mirrors?

Are you volunteering? Do you have access to a lathe or milling machine? If you build it they will probably come! What do you think, $20-$30-$40 per pair?
you wouldnt want me machining anything. the largest machine i can operate is a pen (to write the genius that comes up with this spacer a check).

what about something that could "invert" the current mirror? the bmw and st1300 mirrors are mounted in a lower position. if there was some way to invert the stock mirror to angle down (vs. up), that would do the trick. so the real farkle is some sort of piece that would allow the right side mirror to be attached to the left side of the bike (and visa versa) angled down. that would clear the elbow, allow us to keep the stock setup, and would probably look pretty sharp.

Greygoose

GreyGoose

you wouldnt want me machining anything. the largest machine i can operate is a pen (to write the genius that comes up with this spacer a check).

what about something that could "invert" the current mirror? the bmw and st1300 mirrors are mounted in a lower position. if there was some way to invert the stock mirror to angle down (vs. up), that would do the trick. so the real farkle is some sort of piece that would allow the right side mirror to be attached to the left side of the bike (and visa versa) angled down. that would clear the elbow, allow us to keep the stock setup, and would probably look pretty sharp.

Greygoose
Doesn't Heli do something like this? I've seen a machined spacer somewhere, but I already got the other mirrors so I did not pay much attention at the time.