FZ1 mirrors

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still cant believe that some forum member has not engineered a short spacer to get the stock 06/07 mirror out a few extra inches to get you past your elbows. Doesnt anyone have something in the works? How tough can this be?
GreyGoose
It could be that the studs that hold the mirrors (they require 2 nuts to attach them to the front subframe) are welded to the mirror base. So any spacer would require a different fastener to account for the then "too short" stud, and there is limited space under the nosepiece to do any work.

I suppose one could machine a spacer for the mirror studs to bolt through (studs are 7/8" long) and have bolts to attach that assembly to the bike. It could be offset to raise the mirrors vertical slightly as well as extend them outward 2"+ from the nosepiece. It might be a little unsightly, but the inventor could make it from stainless steel or include a rubber boot/slip-cover. I wonder about the extra stress wind leverage might put on the mild steel subframe wing that supports the mirrors?

Are you volunteering? Do you have access to a lathe or milling machine? If you build it they will probably come! What do you think, $20-$30-$40 per pair?
you wouldnt want me machining anything. the largest machine i can operate is a pen (to write the genius that comes up with this spacer a check).

what about something that could "invert" the current mirror? the bmw and st1300 mirrors are mounted in a lower position. if there was some way to invert the stock mirror to angle down (vs. up), that would do the trick. so the real farkle is some sort of piece that would allow the right side mirror to be attached to the left side of the bike (and visa versa) angled down. that would clear the elbow, allow us to keep the stock setup, and would probably look pretty sharp.

Greygoose
Doesn't Heli do something like this? I've seen a machined spacer somewhere, but I already got the other mirrors so I did not pay much attention at the time.
I dont see anything on the heli site for fjr mirrors. we'd appreciate it if you can find out where you saw this.

thanx

GreyGoose

I have been reading a couple threads about putting the FZ1 (gen 1) Mirrors on the FJR, and I have to tell ya, its really making me laugh. I recently sold my 2003 FZ1 and bought a 2005 FJR, and one of the things that drove me up the wall on the FZ1, was that the stock mirrors showed 75 to 80% elbows.No matter how I sat.

Im 6' even, and on the FJR, one of things that I love, is that I can see 80% of whats behind me. So, its has to be ridder to ridder when it comes to this mirror thing.

If you really want to try some usless mirrors, go for a ride on a Duc/Monster, cant see shit, and thats one top of the mirrors vibrating to no end...

Sean

If you really want to try some usless mirrors, go for a ride on a Duc/Monster, cant see shit, and thats one top of the mirrors vibrating to no end...Sean
You're right. That's why every monster rider buys Napolean bar-enz. Like these:

Duck with Bar-enz
Has anyone tried these mirrors on an FJR? I think they'd work good as supplements to the stock mirrors.

If you really want to try some usless mirrors, go for a ride on a Duc/Monster, cant see shit, and thats one top of the mirrors vibrating to no end...Sean
You're right. That's why every monster rider buys Napolean bar-enz. Like these:

Duck with Bar-enz
Has anyone tried these mirrors on an FJR? I think they'd work good as supplements to the stock mirrors.
Once you put a set of FZ1 mirrors on, you don't need no steenkin' supplements. ;)