G2 install trouble

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Auron

FJRForums' Red-headed stepchild
Reaction score
OK so I'm an idiot. The heated grip assembly on my bike is giving me trouble. The stock grips were so well integrated with everything, now that they are gone,(putting BMW grips on) when I put everything back together the throttle isn't free. It moves, but something is binding it up. Never replaced a throtle tube before either.

You didn't say if tube by itself was binding or re-assembled throttle assembly.

If it's the re-assembled throttle, perhaps your cables are too tight.

Put in a little slack at the adjuster and see if that helps.

I'd like to assume you cleaned and lubed the bar while it was apart.

You didn't say if tube by itself was binding or re-assembled throttle assembly.

If it's the re-assembled throttle, perhaps your cables are too tight.

Put in a little slack at the adjuster and see if that helps.

I'd like to assume you cleaned and lubed the bar while it was apart.
The cables do seem rather tight, I'll try loosening them.

I installed the G2 today before I came to work, it went very smoothly. If it did not bind up before, it shouldn't bind up now. Did it bind before you installed the grips? Before you put the bar end weight back on?

I installed the G2 today before I came to work, it went very smoothly. If it did not bind up before, it shouldn't bind up now. Did it bind before you installed the grips? Before you put the bar end weight back on?
I havn't installed any of that :angry2: Does the heated grip sleeve go plush to one side of the throttle tube? Right now it's all the way to the left side.

OK, let's answer your question with more questions. Not being rude, I am unclear. If I were not at work, I would post pics.

Sitting on the bike looking forward, the G2 should have the cam/cable attachment hidden inside the throttle cable housing. There should be a space of 1/4? of an inch or so then there should be a thin ring or lip which will be the stop for the grip. This prevents the grip from rubbing against the cable housing. At the extreme right end of the G2 did you remove the end cap? This is not used on the FJR, it pops right off with only an O-ring to hold it in place. After that is gone, there should be about 1/2 inch or so of the handlebar sticking out of the right (outside) end of the G2. The grip will cover all of that.

The bike is outside in the parking lot now, if you need I can go out and take a cell phone pic of the finished install but I doubt that will help you.

OK, let's answer your question with more questions. Not being rude, I am unclear. If I were not at work, I would post pics.

Sitting on the bike looking forward, the G2 should have the cam/cable attachment hidden inside the throttle cable housing. There should be a space of 1/4? of an inch or so then there should be a thin ring or lip which will be the stop for the grip. This prevents the grip from rubbing against the cable housing. At the extreme right end of the G2 did you remove the end cap? This is not used on the FJR, it pops right off with only an O-ring to hold it in place. After that is gone, there should be about 1/2 inch or so of the handlebar sticking out of the right (outside) end of the G2. The grip will cover all of that.

The bike is outside in the parking lot now, if you need I can go out and take a cell phone pic of the finished install but I doubt that will help you.
None of that sounds familiar. The box said FJR1300AE all I got was the tube, nothing else. I'm actually really frustrated now because the OEM grips had a great housing for the wiring and now that they're gone I don't know how to secure everything. I'm going to be putting on BMW grips and not confident at all about the way it's all coming together.

I did however fix the binding, I had the heated grip sleeve too close to the pulley.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it makes you any more confused, the box for mine said "KTM 4-Strokes". I sent an e-mail to Motorcycle Superstore requesting clarification. They e-mailed me back and assured me that this is the right part. Dad's bike is not an AE and did not come with heated grips so we may have two different part #'s. The part #'s are all at my wife's house along with the box and the e-mails. I have a couple of pics I took today during the install so I will see about posting them tomorrow. I was a bit aggravated that the tube was shorter than the OEM and my new Kaoko throttle lock is making contact only with the rubber grip instead of the throttle tube, but everything is working like it should.

Wierd... my G2 was the same length as stock so whatever. I'm only concerned about what to do with the wires. I'm wondering if this has been discussed, seems like a major pita when changing grips.