G2 throttle cam installation

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
arrived by USPS today... did the mod during lunchtime and had time to eat to spare,... easy off, easy on! now waiting to try it out on the road... nice workmanship... cheap mod for a good fix!

Mosa

Has anyone compared this to the fredshim fix? I know there suppose to do the same thing, but i'm curious if one works better than the other. I've done the fredshim and would rather not undue it unless there going to be a marked improvement.

thanx

GreyGoose

Has anyone compared this to the fredshim fix? I know there suppose to do the same thing, but i'm curious if one works better than the other. I've done the fredshim and would rather not undue it unless there going to be a marked improvement.
thanx

GreyGoose
When your buzzing down the road at ,,,, fast Ok....... doesn't the voice in your head say " I hope that piece of Romex does fall off and jamb things up " ?

:unsure:

G2 throttle tube road report.

Does it fix the off-throttle to on-throttle abruptness…no not on my bike, however it did help. If I considered the factory throttle transition problem a 7 on a 1 to 10 scale, the G2 made it a 6. :(

What I did find is the G2 gave a much higher partial throttle resolution, that is to say during the roll-on back to power from the neutral throttle position you carry entering a corner, it gave much better control. The G2 cam required significantly more movement of the throttle to achieve the desired thrust, yet still allowed full-on acceleration at any time. It also helped to find the neutral throttle position without an under rev or over rev. Lastly the G2 also help during the downshift throttle blip. I found it much easier to match the engine rpm with the road speed, again not over or under revving.

Would I buy the G2 now knowing how it works on my bike? You bet, with a motor as strong as the FJR’s, having better throttle control will always be a benefit! :yahoo:

Regards,

B

G2 throttle tube road report.
Does it fix the off-throttle to on-throttle abruptness…no not on my bike, however it did help. If I considered the factory throttle transition problem a 7 on a 1 to 10 scale, the G2 made it a 6. :(

What I did find is the G2 gave a much higher partial throttle resolution, that is to say during the roll-on back to power from the neutral throttle position you carry entering a corner, it gave much better control. The G2 cam required significantly more movement of the throttle to achieve the desired thrust, yet still allowed full-on acceleration at any time. It also helped to find the neutral throttle position without an under rev or over rev. Lastly the G2 also help during the downshift throttle blip. I found it much easier to match the engine rpm with the road speed, again not over or under revving.

Would I buy the G2 now knowing how it works on my bike? You bet, with a motor as strong as the FJR’s, having better throttle control will always be a benefit! :yahoo:

Regards,

B

cant speak for the G2 but i just rode my o6 after grinding down the plastic cam and there is a very nice difference in throttle control and the way it shifts. . the plastic is hard and can be filed or sanded down easily. try it.

I installed the G2 today along with the MadCo throttle lock. When I put the bar end on with the spacer that came with the throttle lock, the throttle will not return all the way to the off position. Any amount of pressure when tightening the bar end messes with the throttle return. Anyone have this issue? Thanks, PM. <>< :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
Just ordered one, going to give a go...

Has anyone installed these with the Honda grip heaters? I may order up a set of those too.

-MD

I installed the G2 today along with the MadCo throttle lock. When I put the bar end on with the spacer that came with the throttle lock, the throttle will not return all the way to the off position. Any amount of pressure when tightening the bar end messes with the throttle return. Anyone have this issue? Thanks, PM. <>< :unsure:
Painman,

Did you resolve the binding issue when attempting to install the bar end?

I'm having the same problem on my install. Looks like the new throttle tube is contacting the white nylon spacer and binding when the bar end is tightened down.

Thanks,

EricR

Painman,

Did you resolve the binding issue when attempting to install the bar end?

I'm having the same problem on my install. Looks like the new throttle tube is contacting the white nylon spacer and binding when the bar end is tightened down.

Thanks,

EricR
Eric, funny you asked! I thought I was the only one having this issue otherwise I would have posted it up. YES, I did resolve the issue of the throttle binding when tightening the bar end down. Seems the spacer that came with the MadCo lock that goes between the end of the throttle tube and the bar end was at fault. There are two spacers, the inner spacer, I think it is nylon and the outer dark colored one. When I tightend the bar end up the outer dark spacer would contact the throttle sleeve and not allow the throttle to move what so ever. So, I went to the local hardware purchased a 6 mm metric flat washer and installed it between the inner spacer and the bar end. Which the washer fits nicely into the stock bar end and also is the right size for the bolt. Tightened it down and the outer spacer now cannot make contact with the throttle tube. Worked perfect. Strange though DCarver did the same install and had no problems. Hope this helped. PM. <>< ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
i installed the throttle tube this weekend (06 with factory heated grips).

1st attempt at the install failed, as i had no access to a compressor !

that gave me a nice excuse for a 350km round trip to go see a friend with a compressor ! :D

second attempt (this time with compressed air) and it took only about 1 hr to do.

i must say that it has made a huge difference to the feel and how much control i have over the throttle.

i can now shift gears much more smothly, and get a more consistant feel.

the G2ergo throttle tube and pulley have not completely solved the low down on / off throttle response issue,

but have made it a lot more manageable.

i think a power commander is in order shortly.....

maybe it's posible to adjust the driveline lash to remove some of the free play that exists ?

that sure would make a heck of a difference (imho)

jason.

i must say that it has made a huge difference to the feel and how much control i have over the throttle.i can now shift gears much more smothly, and get a more consistant feel.

the G2ergo throttle tube and pulley have not completely solved the low down on / off throttle response issue,

but have made it a lot more manageable.

i think a power commander is in order shortly.....

maybe it's posible to adjust the driveline lash to remove some of the free play that exists ?

that sure would make a heck of a difference (imho)

jason.
It seems to me that most guys which installed the G2 tube have a similar comment.....not quite solving the problem, but making a huge differents. <_<

My tube is still in it's package, can't wait to install it and see for my self. :unsure:

Eric, funny you asked! I thought I was the only one having this issue otherwise I would have posted it up. YES, I did resolve the issue of the throttle binding when tightening the bar end down. Seems the spacer that came with the MadCo lock that goes between the end of the throttle tube and the bar end was at fault. There are two spacers, the inner spacer, I think it is nylon and the outer dark colored one. When I tightend the bar end up the outer dark spacer would contact the throttle sleeve and not allow the throttle to move what so ever. So, I went to the local hardware purchased a 6 mm metric flat washer and installed it between the inner spacer and the bar end. Which the washer fits nicely into the stock bar end and also is the right size for the bolt. Tightened it down and the outer spacer now cannot make contact with the throttle tube. Worked perfect. Strange though DCarver did the same install and had no problems. Hope this helped. PM. <>< ;)
Painman,

Thanks for the reply. I ended up going a slightly different route.

I eliminated the nylon and metal spacers altogether. I replaced them with a single nylon spacer about the size/thickness of four stacked 6mm flat washers. On my installation, that places the bar end very close to the end of the grip. Without the larger diameter spacer, the outer edge of the grip (maybe 3/16th inch) has no support. However, I don't think that will be an issue (especially after I reinstall the grip puppies).

EricR

Just a quick update, rode my buddies K1200RS the other day and his bike shows much more abruptness than my 06’ with the G2 and now center spring Mod. So with a back-to-back comparison I now have an off-throttle-to-on-throttle issue of about a 3 and his bike gets the 7 on a 1 to 10 scale.

Regards,

B

Question for the folks that have installed the G2 throttle tube...

Did y'all apply any sort of grease/lube to the bar or inside of the G2 throttle tube?

I don't expect it to impact the ridability of the bike, but I can hear and feel a bit of metal-on-metal when I turn the throttle.

Thanks,

EricR

Did y'all apply any sort of grease/lube to the bar or inside of the G2 throttle tube?

I don't expect it to impact the ridability of the bike, but I can hear and feel a bit of metal-on-metal when I turn the throttle.

Thanks,

EricR
I installed the G2 tubes on both my bikes (FJR and FZ1) today.... Well, I came away with much the same results most of you, that installed them. I think it helped to reduce the jerky throttle at low gear/speed a lot. I'm happy, and think it's worth while farkle.

Eric, I put a light coating of grease on the handlebar.

Thanks,

EricR
Graphite, powdered form.

Capt. Bob

Thanks,

EricR
The drawing in the repair manual is not real clear but it supposedly shows to use lithium soap grease. I used thin coat of moly 60. Seems to be working fine. Also lube the cable ends where they insert on the cam and lube the ramp the cables ride on the cam with same. Also use enging oil in the cables or WD-40 or some type cable lube. PM. <><

Thanks for all the replies. Guess I'll clean/lube/reinstall... For the record, here is G2's response to my email inquiry...

Lubing the throttle tube is a personal preference. If I were to lube the tube I would use a spray on graphite that dry's but some people use a real light film of grease.

EricR