Galfer GB and Stainless Steel Lines

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'mAllIn

Reaction score
OK, I'm all in on the Galfer GB...thanks Dale and all for your work in setting this up. I realize that a full set of SS brake lines for an '06 ABS are not available through the GB, but are they available anywhere? Galfer's website show a part number for SS brake lines for a Gen II ABS bike, but is that all the lines?

Figure since I'm upgrading the brakes, might as well go all the way.

Thanks.

I don't know if it helps, but the last rake group buy was through Speigler. They had a full kit stainless lines for the ABS bikes. I referring to the lines that came off the ABS module as well as to the calipers. They are available, but I don't know what the cost is.

Rick

I have installed a Galfer braided-line kit on a 2005 FJR1300 w. ABS. There is such a kit for the 1st Gen. FJR's and it consists of 8 different lines.

I understand the 2nd Gen. brought in a much higher degree of complexity, since the whole system now counts 13 separate lines. :blink:

The trickiest part must be joining the new stainless lines at this point (see pics) where the hard lines exit the frame.

DSCF1299.JPG
DSCF1300.JPG

The pics refer to the 2005 model. The new model has 3 joints where the older bike has 2.

Then you have the Y joint that's secured to the lower triple tree. To install it, you'll need a longer screw than the OEM one and some washers and spacers.

It's tricky but not too difficult. Several adjustments and trials will be needed to ensure that the banjo bolts and lines are not impacted during

fork excursions and slow speed steering.

DSCF1301.JPG

I would expect the ABS modulator being the next horror story on the 2006+. This pic again shows the 2005 model.

DSCF1309.JPG

Bleeding the system is tedious but a Mityvac can speed things up. Since I was at it, I also replaced the OEM clutch line with a Galfer braided one.

DSCF1303.JPG

More pics and info are available if anyone's interested in the I Gen ABS model.

Stef

PS: I should also mention that on a number of 1st Gen. FJR's (ABS) the joints between hard and rubber lines (such as the joint pictured above on the RH side of the frame) were crimped and could not be unscrewed. Anybody wishing to install a full set of lines on a 1st Gen. ABS should make sure that those joints are not crimped. Don't ask me how I know.... :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator: