Garmin 2610 vs. 2720 (and 2730)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Groo

The Endless Font of Useless Knowledge...
Reaction score
Getting ready to pull the trigger on a GPS, and wondered if there are any opinions on the relative benefits of the 2 Garmin systems (2610 vs. 2720). I've see that the 2720 has a slightly larger better quality display screen, has 2000 waypoints vs. 500 for the 2610, and does the Traffic avoidance route-around if you pay extra for a receiver and live where the data is transmitted (don't think I'd need this, but wouldn't count that as a negative). The 2720 is apparently also WAAS enabled, while I don't believe the 2610 is.

Anyone know if the compute and recalculate speeds are roughly equivalent, or is the 2610 noticeably slower? Any other reasons to favor one over the other? Is the difference in price significant enough to choose one over the other?

Thanks in advance for any replies...

Last edited by a moderator:
If I am not mistaken, the screens are the same size, as is the case. I am a 2610 owner with a 2730 on the way.

You're right.. the screens are the same size... I was just thrown off because the 2610 states rectangular dimensions, and the 2720 info. states a diagonal.

On a second note, has anyone gotten a sun shield for their 2610, or find it necessary?

Comparing a 2610 to a 2720 is like comparing a 1996 car to a 2006 car.

The processor, display and over all performance has been enhanced.

The user interface is much easier and over all a better simpler unit to deal with.

The advantage of the 2610 is price just like a 1996 car would be compare to a 2006 car. Can you say End of LIFE!

Just my 2 cents worth ;)

Comparing a 2610 to a 2720 is like comparing a 1996 car to a 2006 car.
I have to agree. The 2720 has two major enhancements that make it an easy choice over the 2610...IMHO.

1. The screen is vastly improved. It has better resolution and is daylight readable (in direct sunlight). Direct sunlight on the 2610 makes the screen mostly unreadable.

2. The 2720 will actually speak the street name. It will actually tell you "in 200 feet turn left on Doobie Lane". The 2610 just says, "in 200 feet turn left".

When comparing prices make sure and include the CF card cost for the 2610. With the 2720 you don't need no stinking flash cards. And don't forget about the 2730. It's the same unit as the 2720 with XM radio and an MP3 player built in. That's the unit I'm saving my pennies for.

YMMV, but I think the "Text to Speech" feature is overrated. Especially since you can chose to place the Next Turn field, among many others, on the 2610 in any of the 3 TAB positions, at either regular or wide format, which gives you the upcoming turn name - can you do this with the 27xx?

Reports from various places and experienced users commented on the lack of configurablity/customization of the 27xx (granted, with earlier versions of software - who knows what's to come) vs the 2610. I'm a tinkerer, I like things MY way, not Garmin's way.

I'm one of those guys that will never have iDrive in his BMW for just that reason. :lol:

I'm kind of with benney, just because something is "newer" doesn't mean it's necessarily better. I believe I'm much more inclined to use the "turn in 200 yards" than "turn left on Dooby Lane"... maybe GARMIN has dumbed down the 2720 interface too much to make it one-size-fits-all for the soccer moms who could care less about trying to configure the display. I've seen reviews from people that compared the 2, and liked the menus and displays better from the 2610, and the configurability too.

I doubt I'd ever use the 2720 traffic monitoring, or the 3D views I can take or leave, and even with the price of a LARGE flash card, the price for the 2610 is still lower. They make sun shields for $20 that will block the sun on the screen, although side-by-side the screen will always be better on the 2720, sun or no.

Like I said when I started this... was just looking for other people's opinions, as input towards making my own decision. Thanks everyone for your comments.

YMMV, but I think the "Text to Speech" feature is overrated.  Especially since you can chose to place the Next Turn field, among many others, on the 2610 in any of the 3 TAB positions, at either regular or wide format, which gives you the upcoming turn name - can you do this with the 27xx?
Reports from various places and experienced users commented on the lack of configurablity/customization of the 27xx (granted, with earlier versions of software - who knows what's  to come) vs the 2610.  I'm a tinkerer, I like things MY way, not Garmin's way.

I'm one of those guys that will never have iDrive in his BMW for just that reason.  :lol:
Benny, I'm not sure where your getting your information from, :rolleyes: but the 2720 has customizable data fields. I think the 2720 is MORE customizable than the 2610. You can decide which fields you want to see, where you want to see them, and what format you want them in. That includes the next turn field. You can download the manuals from Garmin's web site and have a look yourself.

I'm like you and want to see the fields I want, where I want them. If I paying over 7 bills I better damn well be able to have the Elapsed time next to the Arrival time if I desire.

Another feature the 2720 has that the 2610 lacks is the ability to upload custom POI's (Points of Interest). These can be for avoidance or routing. I can see this being very useful for rallying. Or if your over the pond there are already many custom POI files you can download (speed cams). POI Sources

I can't vouch for the accuracy of this list, but if may give you some idea of the usefulness of this feature. You say your going to be traveling through Virginia, Maryland, or West Virginia and want to upload a list of speed traps? Check this out. Custom POI's

Also the mapping supplied with the 2610, will not be current as with the 2720/30.

Can the 2610 be brought up to version 7?

The 2720 also has about 1million extra POI installed over the 2610.

I was also debating the same dilema, but have decided to go the 2730 route. The ease of manipulating multiple waypoints on the fly is a very nice feature that I will put to good use. Since I ride year round, in many different new areas and conditions, the automatic traffic re-routing in major cities and weather features of the 2730 will sure come in handy.

The 2730 also helps keep my cockpit from looking like the display shelf over at Best Buy. :D

Skyway,

Yes, the 2610 is able to use Version 7 of the City Navigator software.

Skyway,
Yes, the 2610 is able to use Version 7 of the City Navigator software.
So if the 2610 does not come with version 7 loaded and you want it, figure another $75.00 into the equation?

How much can a new 2610 be had for right now anyway?

My biggest problem about getting a new GPS, is that they keep adding stuff that I can put to good use. This leaves me waiting and waiting with no GPS in the meantime.

At some point I have to buy in and the 2730 is one of the first units on the market, that combines and puts to use several different technologies in one compact MC freindly package. Spendy little bugger it is too, but uncle sam has offered to contribute to the purchase. :D

If I'm reading Garmin's website correctly, if your 2610 comes with v6 after the release date of v7, they'll send you the upgrade DVD for free. You can get a 2610 on Amazon for $499.

From Garmin's website...

Q. I have an older version of a specific locked MapSource CD-ROM/DVD-ROM product. How can I update?A. Garmin offers free and charged updates for locked MapSource products.

FREE UPDATES:

If you ORIGINALLY & NEWLY unlocked a NEW locked MapSource CD-ROM/DVD-ROM product ON or AFTER the release date of an update for that same product, you are eligible to unlock on that specific update what you unlocked on the original for no charge. In other words, you can update to the latest data for free!

You must order a free Update Disk for that particular MapSource product. Do that on the Garmin website, starting at: MapSource Updates

Find the link to the specific MapSource product you have, and click it. You will find a page asking if you live in the United States or outside the United States. Click the appropriate link, and you will find instructions on getting an Update Disk.

The Update Disks are free of charge. Any possible cost comes into the process when you unlock the update (see CHARGED UPDATES below). The previous unlock code(s) you have will not apply to the newer version. There can sometimes be shipping charges with the Update Disks to some addresses in the world, but the Update Disks themselves are free to customers.

When you get that Update Disk, you must install it on the same computer on which you have the previous version of that specific MapSource product. Instructions for unlocking it will come with the Update Disk. You will need your Garmin Customer Code for the unlock system (depending on what you owned first, it will be an original 8 digit coupon code that you used to get a 25 digit unlock code or a 7 digit registration code that came with a unit and a particular software product). Please see "What is the difference between a 7 digit unlock registration code and an 8 digit original coupon code?")

You will not be charged in this scenario to get your new unlock code(s).

CHARGED UPDATES:

Your update options are determined by what you have previously unlocked and when.

If you are a returning customer who previously purchased a MapSource CD-ROM/DVD-ROM product you may purchase an update if one is available to you. Your update options are determined based on what you've previously unlocked. A new unlock code must be purchased to access the updated data.

You must order a free Update Disk for that particular MapSource product. Do that on the Garmin website, starting at: MapSource Updates

Find the link to the specific MapSource product you have and click it. You will find a page asking if you live in the United States or outside the United States. Click the appropriate link and you will find instructions on getting an Update Disk.

The cost to unlock the Update would depend on the specific product you have. Please see the preceding website link for a list of release dates and prices. The same overall process applies; however, the difference is the update unlock code would be charged.

Note: Do NOT purchase additional unlocks for any of your units (if applicable)until you unlock the Update Disk. Otherwise, you will be charged to unlock these additionals for the Update. If you purchased additional unlocks before unlocking the Update Disk, they would apply to the older version of the product.
The North American v7 DVD was released on June 7, 2005... so anyone buying a new version with v6 installed now should be able to upgrade for free from Garmin.

Stryg8r,

Most of the comparative information I mentioned can be found at the GPS Passion site I gave the link to above. Granted, I don't have first hand knowledge of the 27xx, but those who do, and have used the 2610 mentioned more than once the greater configurability of the 2610.

Again, YMMV, and Garmin is GREAT about enabling features after initial release with subsequent software updates.

Its correct that the unit can be updated with V7, and later V8 I'm sure, software. Some other interesting discussions mentioned that although V7 is billed as having more POIs, when someone did a side by side comparison with V6, there were a number of places he could not find in V7 that were in V6. Something about a different vendor supplying V7 than the previous version...

I haven't kept up with that thread so I don't know the ultimate outcome. Maybe when holding a can of synthetic oil or something, the missiong POIs magically appear. :D

I picked up a 2610 for the wife's car for $280, it came with a 256mb CF card, the no skid car mount and remote, and all of the books, software and cables.

It was very easy to download the latest maps direct from the Garmin site along with the updates.

This unit is still more than I can imagine the majority of people can use, and is very easy to operate.

I still have the 276c on my bike and have been extremely happy with it.

Garmins warranty process is second to none, I have had my 276c for about 20 months now and the battery died, I called Garmin and they fedex'd a new one to me without so much as a question.

Awesome units, and do everything, and a whole lot more than I need.

Skippy

I just bought the 2720. I have the factory installed nav system in my Honda Odyssey, and I am really spoiled. I bought the Garmin for my 2005 FJR, and while waiting for the RAM mounting hardware to arrive, I have it on the dash of the van. It has been fantastic. Very intuitive. So far, it has proven to have a great database, is very accurate, and the routing is right in line with how I would travel. Also the time to find locations, and recalculate changes has been great. Very happy with the purchase. Can't wait to get it on the bike.

A followup, my 2610 showed up today, and lo and behold it actually had the v7 City Nav DVD with it, so I didn't need to order it from Garmin (although it would have been free, I still would have had to wait for them to ship it to me). $500 from Amazon, and I got it in less than a week.

Anyone know if you need a special cable or anything in order to be able to properly amplify the voice commands coming out of a Garmin Streetpilot? I've got mine installed and wired up to my Mixit2, and I can hear the Valentine and XM radio clear as a bell... but the 2610 even cranked up to the max is barely a whisper.... very puzzling. The audio works as expected when using the cigarette adapter cable with built in microphone in my car....

Oh, and I'll post some photos of the setup tomorrow... gonna go for a morning ride!