Garmin 2720

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimLor

Reaction score
First let me say that I’m not a luddite - but this Garmin 2720 is driving me nuts. This isn’t my question by the way, just a comment. The Mapping software is the least user friendly program I’ve ever, ever, ever, and I mean ever, used. I started using computers in 1977 (I was 2 years old) so it’s not like I’m a novice!

My question, how does one remove maps from the unit (2720) itself? I currently have Ver 7 and Ver 8 maps loaded as well as some separate state maps. As you can see, I figured out how to go from the computer to the GPS (and in fact can xfer routes, etc between both), but can’t for the life of me figure out how to remove stuff from the GPS. I tried the delete or clear the Garmin card button and nothing happened. I want to have just the Ver 8 mapping on the unit.

Thanks.

Damm dude, I found a way into mine a bit ago but I dont remember how I did it.

I do agree however about the Garmin. My Magellan was a WAY superior unit in every way EXCEPT the vibration of the bike killed the spinning hard drive (that Magellan fixed for free)

I did it VIA the USB (obviously) and I think I did a network find and it came up and I ran in the back door to look at the files. I know i backed them up to my HDD so I also know I got there.

Try something like that but be careful becuase it gets pissed when you mess with the files, I think it has an index files and does a comparo on boot inventory thing of files onboard.

I have found Garmin tech supprt to be pretty responsive VIA email too. Could try asking them too

Jim, did you find v8 of the mapping software to be a significant upgrade over v7?. I have been contemplating making that upgrade but have been balking due to the $75 price. Was hoping the would come out with a v9 around this time but don't seem to be doing so.

In your opinion, was it worth the $75?

As for removing the old software, check Garmin's website. I think I remember reading some stuff on that topic there recently.

Jim,

I found this on another forum:

Finally removed the errant file from my 2730. It was in the Garmin folder and its size rivaled that of City Nav. North America V8. The file I removed was titled gmapsupp.img and was a 874meg file. City Nav, V8 is approximately 965 megs in size. Its file name is gmapprom.img.
Based on other posts I found on that forum, it sounds like you hook the 2730 up via USB, powered it up, chose "USB Mass Storage" on your 2730, then locate the Garmin drive in My Computer

Here's the link to the thread https://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=67886

Skooter - I bought the unit in Nov and got the update shortly thereafter for free - so I didn't really use Ver 7 for more than a couple of "fam" rides. I will say that ver 8 does have some streets near home that weren't on Ver 7.

Randy - thanks, I'll dig into that.

Cdogman - if I knew what the hell you said I'd try it! I'd be likely to find the backdoor, go thru it, and never return.

Thanks all.

Jim:

Have you called the technical department for Garmin? I've called them on a few items and they are friendly and helpful....imagine that.

Their number is 1-800-800-1020. Give them a call.

As for the updates on the mapping software, it depends on how much you travel with your unit. If it is a lot, then the update is worth it. If not that often, you could get away with every two years.

Garmin puts its update out around April or when they get it ready for distribution.

Hope this helps.

Jim,

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for or not but I ran across this today in my 2730 manual so it might apply to your 2720.

CLICK

Try this link, there is a very good description of removing files from your Garmin.

Garmin Memory Tricks

Okay the link doesn't work, so sue me. Do a search on "GPS Question", pawtracks did a great job explaining how to work with the memory on Garmins (at least 2700 series).

Last edited by a moderator:
I have just upgraded to V9 of the maps and couldnt figure it out

Rang Garmin support in UK and within 5 minutes I had a patch from them that downloaded all my maps direct from the dvd to the 2720 . All of europe took 1.5 hours but it replaced all the old maps and didnt bugger up any of the POIs.

:yahoo:

Just got off the phone with Garmin. Answer is that you can't remove maps from the unit itself. He said once it's on there then it's on there! Said it won't hurt anything, but you can't remove files from the "firmware." That's why when I see what's on the unit it has both Ver 7 and Ver 8. He said when you update with the next version it over-rides the previous but doesn't delete it. You can go into (on the unit) "Settings" "Map" "Detail Maps" - that'll list what's on the unit and you can enable/disable them - but can't delete them. Wonder what happens when you run out of space!?

Here's a link to my previous post

Link

I have a 2730, not a 2720 so I can't say 100% for sure the Garmin tech support agent is wrong.

In theory, he is partially correct (if the 2730 & 2720 are the same, -the XM puck)

In my post example I deleted all files off the garmin non-removable flash memory while connected to my computer in USB mass storage mode. This deletes all the detailed maps and navigation options from the unit. It still leaves the standard firmware maps of the USA loaded, there is no way to delete or overwrite/update the firmware maps.

Let me put it like this:

-Factory firmware maps are like looking at your location and you being able to tell, ok I'm in southern California, somewhere near LA. If you zoom in, you may be able to tell what major freeway or city you are near.

-Loaded Version 7 or 8, etc... detailed maps will show you EXACTLY where you are, every detail of the entire region, how to get to the nearest (fill in the blank), etc... All the details and how to get there (turn by turn)

What you want to do is save some space, get rid of the version 7 stuff and put the more up to date version 8 data. If you follow my post above you will have the latest maps, no voices in a language you don't speak, no wasted maps of a state/region you will never go, etc...

Just make sure you back up your factory loaded files before you start tinkering under the hood in case you want to restore your unit.

P.S. When you are out of space, you are out of space (you will get a write error, just like your disk is full)

Good luck

Ask your questions if they come up

Keep us posted if you try it out