Garmin 2820 / other BT GPS Question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fencer

Why yes, I am a Smart ASS
Reaction score
I've got the 2820 and it will store 1 gb of MP3.

I was wondering if anyone with a BT GPS - ESP a 2820- had tried hooking up a MP3 to the MIC input to expand song range?

If so, how did it work? Did the music still play BT or did the mic input override that? Did the Voice prompts still work etc.

It uses a 1/8 input IIRC.

I've got the 2820 and it will store 1 gb of MP3.
I was wondering if anyone with a BT GPS - ESP a 2820- had tried hooking up a MP3 to the MIC input to expand song range?

If so, how did it work? Did the music still play BT or did the mic input override that? Did the Voice prompts still work etc.

It uses a 1/8 input IIRC.
2820 here. On my setup, the mic port is only "listened" to when the phone is in use. The unit controls that port (and "detects" if you have a mic plugged in when phone is used.) I am reminded of that fact when I move the unit to my car and forget to turn off BT. It will still link up my phone, and then complain when a call comes in and I don't have a mic hooked up, reminding me that if I take the pending call without a mic hooked up (none detected), nobody will hear me or something along those lines. I then furiously try to shut off the unit so my phone unlinks and I can talk on it (duh).

The OS will only let you use it for phone/mic purposes.

If you're asking because you don't have an on-board intercom system that can take 2 inputs, I understand. The Autocom I run accepts several, so I can listen to the iPhone in iPod mode in the glovebox if/when I get bored with the mp3's in the Garmin and if I don't have XM signal at the time.

Last edited by a moderator: