Garmin LifeTime[TM] Maps

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why? I don't get any benefit from it. They might eventually make an update to the maps, which I then have to spend $100 to get my own damn update. Why should I contribute updates to them free, where they don't return the favor?
It's not like open source where you contribute code or docs or whatever, then everybody gets an immediate benefit.

And yes, it's Garmin's fault. Google doesn't have the problem, and they use a lot of the same suppliers. Apparently Tomtom doesn't either, from a check I was able to do this weekend. Why is Garmin the odd man out here?
Sounds like you should stick to paper maps.

:huh:

I've got 2009 maps and they still don't have addresses which have been there for 30 years. Like my house. Or businesses which have been at thier location for ten years.

Stupid Garmin. Can't live without it either. Best I can do is use google maps to get business addresses or zoom in on mapsource and click where my house should be and say "that's home".

I've got 2009 maps and they still don't have addresses which have been there for 30 years. Like my house. Or businesses which have been at thier location for ten years.
Stupid Garmin. Can't live without it either. Best I can do is use google maps to get business addresses or zoom in on mapsource and click where my house should be and say "that's home".
If you follow this link and submit the updates yourself you will see the changes on google maps, yahoo, and mapsource as soon as a few months.

Garmin updates will most likely take until the 2011 mapsource set.

Last edited by a moderator:

My pet peeve is POIs that are obsolete. I can work around missing or changed roads, but finding out that the hotel I have been driving to for the past half hour no longer exists is not a joyous thing.

The mapping and POI databases rely on corrections from users. That is a tried and true method to maintain user databases. However it will only be successful in circumstances where "users" can expect to reap the benefits of their reported corrections. When a GPS company attempts to extort sizable sums from their own users for updates that they, the users, are expected to contribute to, well the model falls apart.

Instead, what Garmin (and other GPS companies) should do is to collect enough money up front, in the initial sale, to cover whatever the expected distribution and development costs are of updating these databases throughout the life cycle of the equipment. I believe that cost would/could be minimal if there were not so many proprietary lock and key functions involved and they were merely downloadable for free.

I'm afraid this is just another case of shortsighted marketing by these companies.

I'm afraid this is just another case of shortsighted marketing by these companies.
And shortsighted in the tech market can be killer. I was checking out a friends iphone, built in GPS with google maps = no more map updates. :clapping:

Why? I don't get any benefit from it. They might eventually make an update to the maps, which I then have to spend $100 to get my own damn update. Why should I contribute updates to them free, where they don't return the favor?
It's not like open source where you contribute code or docs or whatever, then everybody gets an immediate benefit.

And yes, it's Garmin's fault. Google doesn't have the problem, and they use a lot of the same suppliers. Apparently Tomtom doesn't either, from a check I was able to do this weekend. Why is Garmin the odd man out here?
Sounds like you should stick to paper maps.

:huh:
Actually I use an app that sucks down Google maps on my N800, so I can view them offline, and I have a bluetooth GPS module. I do have to remember to load them beforehand though.

The mapping and POI databases rely on corrections from users. That is a tried and true method to maintain user databases. However it will only be successful in circumstances where "users" can expect to reap the benefits of their reported corrections. When a GPS company attempts to extort sizable sums from their own users for updates that they, the users, are expected to contribute to, well the model falls apart.
That's what I was trying to say!

I resent forking over bucks for stuff that's WRONG.

It seams like a good deal to me as long as you don't break or lose the device.
+1. I'm planning on hanging on to my zumo for a long time. I was going to update again when the 2011 maps came out. For few more Jeffersons, the lifetime update makes sense for me. I think I'll go that route.

But where the heck is the lifetime update on the Garmin site? I couldn't find it. It's ironic that their web site is so hard to navigate.

I plugged my StreetPilot 2730 USB port into my computer so Garmin could sniff my GPS from their Maps web page. After a good whiff, Garmin says that my 2730 is eligible for a lifetime buy of bad maps. There are a bunch of new and rerouted highways in my area and I've been stuck in RECALCULATING hell so the offer is tempting. Fred W, why don't you try the 2010 map and tell me if Rt. 111 has been corrected in the new map ;) :lol: For that matter, does anyone have a 2010 map and want to do a little research for me?

For that matter, does anyone have a 2010 map and want to do a little research for me?
Dude. I owe you big time. I'll be your huckleberry.

I have the latest map, not only in GPS, but of course Mapsource too, so I can check it there.

One other thing. It says they will update your maps, but do not mention the POI database. Is that considered part of the map software?
If your definition of POI (Points of Interest) is the same as mine: Restaurants, gas stations, golf courses, etc...

Then yes, they are updated just like everything else.

Garmin uses the same Navteq database that just about everyone does.

But...if a business goes out of business the last thing on their mind is probably updating Navteq to their status.

So...you always run the risk of navigating to a non existent POI like I did yesterday:

(I was in the mood for some KFC, when the "arriving at destination" lady started talking I was looking at an old boarded up building painted a faded shade of Red and White)

Could have been out a business a day or a year.

If it is that important to you, you can always take a few minutes to report the error

https://www.mapreporter.com

or

Wait until a Navteq team member remaps the area (might be a while)

A good solution would be a simple menu button you can press on your GPS like reporting a broken link.

Once your GPS syncs with a computer the next time it sends that info to Navteq so they can investigate.

For that matter, does anyone have a 2010 map and want to do a little research for me?
You can get a visual look at the 2010 maps without buying them here.

(Just click on the map to open a new pop-up window)

If you need some custom searches I have 2010 North America, Europe and Mexico on my computer.

Edit: Sorry Skooter, I didn't see your post. Now you have two offers for help :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I just checked maps.google and it is up to date, Mapquest is up to date but maps.yahoo is not up to date.

This map is from maps.yahoo and it is out of date. Note that Rt. 111 is to the south of Shadow Lake.

SalemRt111.jpg

The following map is from Mapquest and it correctly shows the relocation of Rt. 111. In this map Rt 111 has been rerouted to the north of Shadow Lake.

Salem111two.jpg

If the 2010 NT map is updated I may suck it up and spend the bucks.

There were several road and bridge projects in the New England area that were completed right around the time of the Rt. 111 relocation so there is some hope that they all have been updated together.

You can get a visual look at the 2010 maps without buying them here. (Just click on the map to open a new pop-up window)
Thanks for the tip. I just did a quick hit 'n run of the 2010 map and it looks like everything I'm looking for is up to date!

SalemThree.jpg
If you knew where the lake was, why the hell do you need Garmin to confirm it? :p