Garmin Map Updates

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DennisJ

Reaction score
I have a Nuvi 1490 and am trying to decide between the one-time ugrade or the lifetime upgrade option. Is it worth the extra cost for the abiilty to update several times a year or do the maps even update frequently enough to make that necessary. I don't see a lot of changes in roads in the Pacific Northwest to justify the multiple updates cost. Any pros and cons already discovered?

Any better optons than BaseCamp? I am ready to go back to Streets & Trips to create maps. BaseCamp defies me so far.

I have had 3 updates this last 12 monthsYou can use other tools , the Harley Davidson route planner web site ( garmin under the covers) is a tool I use sometimes! It has an option to sync with your device, I also believe google maps can but haven't used that

Last edited by a moderator:
I would suggest that you go ahead and just buy a whole new unit that includes lifetime updates. I had the 1490 and upgraded to a newer version with updates for about $120, and it's better, faster, and has newer mapping software. Not really much more than the lifetime maps would cost you plus you can get traffic in some cities. Would suggest a 5", size matters. Maps update twice a year, I believe.

I have used the HD planner and the first thing I thought was that I had opened MapSource by mistake. I seem to end up with a series of segments though instead of one continuous route so suspect I am doing something wrong there.

Thought about just buying a new Garmin but then I would have three of them, all in working condition even though the maps are out of date on the two I have now. Maybe I need to shop around again and see what the current models offer. The 1490 has traffic but in the Seattle area it seems to notify me after I have already figured out there is a problem. Usually after the last turn-off for a bypass. I use it mostly out of town.

I have a Zumo 220 that came with the lifetime North America map. It updates regularly, though I have no idea what the updates are?

The only obvious one was when they opened the Golden Ears Bridge over the Fraser River, the GPS showed me riding across a field and about to plunge into the river. An update fixed this.

To create maps to share with friends or print, I use Tyre to Travel https://www.tyretotravel.com/

I just bought my first GPS in March of this year, a Garmin Nuvi 2595LMT which came with lifetime map updates. It's already updated twice since I bought it. Don't reallly know exactly what those updates might be though. Brand new less than $175 shipped, 5 inch touchscreen with traffic alerts. With the way technology constantly evolves and improves and prices hold or even drop, if your unit is more than just a couple years old, I'd vote to replace it. I really hate doing this sort of thing but you get to the point where you're spending money on an item the manufacturer considers to be past its lifespan.

I'd purchase the lifetime maps for the 1490 and hope the 1490 never breaks. That's the last Nuvi model Garmin ever made that uses the "traditional" algorithm for multi-point route calculation, which is much better for what we do than current Nuvi models. Motorcycle specific models also use the superior method but are much more expensive than a Nuvi. Another option: Though discontinued by Garmin a 1490lmt can still be found - do a web search. "lmt" means it comes with lifetime maps and other bells and whistles.

When I discovered that Garmin screwed up the current generation Nuvis I purchased a 1490lmt to have as a 2nd unit and backup. They're inexpensive.

Last edited by a moderator: