Garmin POI data - Yamaha dealers in US and Canada

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcfjr

Reaction score
Most Garmin GPS units released in or after 2005 can use the Garmin POI Loader to load custom points-of-interest databases. (Click on the link to download this Windows application, and for details on which Garmin units are supported.)

The following Zip file contains GPX files with POI data for all Yamaha motorcycle dealers in the United States and Canada:

https://tcfjr.goption.com/poi/yamaha-gpx-july2007.zip

yamaha-gpx-july2007.zip
https://tcfjr.goption.com/poi/yamaha-gpx-july2007.zip
Extract one or both of the GPX files into an empty folder. Run the Garmin POI Loader, and select the folder with the GPX file(s). These files contain no proximity or speed data, so Express Mode works well. See the Garmin POI Loader site for complete details on using the POI Loader.

The following are PDF files containing details for all Yamaha motorcycle dealers in the US and Canada in a handy, printable format:

https://tcfjr.goption.com/poi/yamaha-dealers-us-july_2007.pdf

Yamaha dealers - US
https://tcfjr.goption.com/poi/yamaha-dealers-us-july_2007.pdf(PDF)

https://tcfjr.goption.com/poi/yamaha-dealers-ca-july_2007.pdfYamaha dealers - Canada
https://tcfjr.goption.com/poi/yamaha-dealers-ca-july_2007.pdf(PDF)
If you find any errors in the data, please send me a PM or e-mail.

The POI files contain details on each dealer including name, address, and local phone number (in Zumo direct-dial format). The data is extracted from Yamaha's U.S. and Canadian web-based dealer locater sites, and is current as of the date of this posting. Latitude and longitude data is provided by Yamaha for U.S. dealer locations; Geocoder.ca is used to determine the latitude and longitude for Canadian dealers. Note that a small number of Canadian dealers have names ending with (Z). This indicates that Geocoder.ca did not recognize the street address of the dealer; the latitude and longitude are based on the postal code only.

Updated files will be posted on October 1, 2007.

NOTE: This post was edited on July 2, 2007 with updated POI data files, and to add the PDF versions of the dealer list.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice!!!!!

They even have updated coordinates for the new Desert Valley Powersports. You can bet this one is going into my 2730!

Thanks!

Thats funny, I was just looking for this exact thing a couple of days ago and couldn't find it. Perfect timing, thanks alot.

Thats funny, I was just looking for this exact thing a couple of days ago and couldn't find it. Perfect timing, thanks alot.
I was in the same position - I'm planning one of those 3-week, 6000 mile trips that the FJR was designed for, and wanted to load up my Zumo with dealer locations in case I needed service on the road. I did a pretty thorough search, and found POI data for Harley dealers, BMW dealers, even Triumph dealers - but nothing for Yamaha dealers. It took me a while to figure out a good way to scrape the needed info from the Yamaha web sites, but it turned out to be a fun project.

By request, I converted the POI data from CSV format to GPX format. GPX allows the dealer's local phone number to be direct-dialed by compatible Zumo units, but otherwise the data is the same.

That is fantastic! Thanks for the work. This is a huge service to everyone.

YOU ARE KING FOR THE DAY SIR!

Thanks,

Bob

I have the download and installed in the Zumo fine. It shows my local dealer, fine. But if I touch the dealer listing, it gives me the option to navigate to it but I cannot seem to find the address and phone number to call them.

I must be doing something wrong.

Can someone please explain how to view the phone number to call the dealer?

Thanks

Bob

Awesome!! I have to ask, how did you collect all of the data to compile this list?

I would also include all the other manufacturers POI's you found for your travels, as you never know when you might need them.

I have the download and installed in the Zumo fine. It shows my local dealer, fine. But if I touch the dealer listing, it gives me the option to navigate to it but I cannot seem to find the address and phone number to call them.
I must be doing something wrong.

Can someone please explain how to view the phone number to call the dealer?

Thanks

Bob

Finally found the problem. I did not have the latest version of POI loader. You need the Beta update version. Once I put that in it worked as advertised. Very cool to be able to call the nearest dealer with a shout for help with one touch.

Awesome!! I have to ask, how did you collect all of the data to compile this list?
I would also include all the other manufacturers POI's you found for your travels, as you never know when you might need them.
Ian:

I wrote a couple of Perl scripts (one for the US, one for Canada) that scrapes the data off of the Yamaha web sites in each country. For the US, it does a proximity search for each Zip code, scrapes the info for the five closest dealers (discarding any duplicates found in previous searches), then goes to the next Zip code. The Canadian script gets a list of city names for each province from a select box on the dealer locater page, does a search on each city, and scrapes out the dealer info.

I plan to update the list on or about July 1st. The current version of the POI data includes phone numbers that can be automatically dialed on compatible Zumo's.

The first post in this thread has been edited to include links to new POI data files updated on July 2, 2007. The post also includes links to PDF files with data on US and Canadian Yamaha dealers.

You da man! Thanks for the printable version for us navagationally challenged :lol:

I cannot thank you enough for the printable copy for us old backward people. I would like to see this pinned in the bin of facts so we do not lose sight of the thread.

Anyone

Thanks

Mac

Terrific, Thanks Brian. This is going on a flash drive in the glove compartment & on the laptop until I get the Zumo. I nominate this for somewhere permanent on the forum- Sticky, Bin-of-facts, How about it Admins? This is truly a service to the fjrforum community. :yahoo: :yahoo: