Garmin question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

not2shabby

Reaction score
Not sure, but I assume this is the 2008 version? How often do you guys upgrade? I just got my refurbished 2720 last nite and it came with V8 loaded. It came with everything except the owners manual, so I plugged it in and was playing with it for a while. Me likey! Time to start planning for some spring trips.

I would have thought that a refurbished model would have the latest version, but, version 8 was released in 2006 IIRC.

Try registering your new GPS at the Garmin web site. If it was a factory refurb you should automatically qualify for one free map software upgrade and unlimited free Mapsucks software upgrades (well worth the price ;) ).

Last edited by a moderator:
It was a fleabay electronics place, forget the name rifght now, maybe refurbished isn't the correct term...inspected...gone over? I dunno. How often do you guys upgrade? 06 maps could be pretty inaccurate by now due to construction and such.

Don't know if you've looked into it yet but, the map software is prohibitively expensive. ~$100 last time I checked.

But if you buy the lifetime subscription it is only ~$150, and you can get it down to ~$100 with a discount for being an AMA member.

I have not yet upgraded any of my GPS map software. I just bought my Zumo 550 last year (has '09 maps) and am still running '06 vintage stuff on my cage GPS, Streetpilot C550. I seldom find that the maps are off that much. Mostly just the POIs that are obsolete.

Garmin's having a special right now, $59 for upgrade to 2010 maps for one device, $100 for lifetime upgrades. Still not exactly cheap and like you said, it's probably the POI's that are upgraded more than anything. I doubt if many new twisty roads that I never knew about have been added lately.

Thanks for that info. Maybe the $100 subscription is discountable with an AMA membership? I'll have to check into that. Wouldn't mind one for the Zumo as I intend on keeping it as long as it will keep working.

Yeah, they don't generally add any new twisty sections. To the contrary, the road engineers tend to remove them. That's what they call progress. :glare:

But definitely worth knowing about before you get there and are disappointed. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Try registering your new GPS at the Garmin web site. If it was a factory refurb you should automatically qualify for one free map software upgrade and unlimited free Mapsucks software upgrades (well worth the price ;) ).
When I got an official Garmin refurb, first it would not register. Customer Service had to clear out the registration before the refurb. I asked about an upgrade since it had 2008 and I bought it in 2009 and they said that the free upgrade does not apply to their refurbs.

However, a bunch of crying did get me the refurb; maybe because they saw how many Garmins I had bought (4 including a $1000 GPSMAP marine GPS).

But if you buy the lifetime subscription it is only ~$150, and you can get it down to ~$100 with a discount for being an AMA member.
Lifetime is $120 (download or gift card). The gift card requires $8 shipping. However, AMA gets you 25% off which is $90 but you have to pay $8 shipping. It turns out that AMA does not get you a discount on the download (I have argued with them and they claim that it is a "computer glitch" on their end but they have not fixed it in 4 months).

Well what do ya know?! I finally got around to loading the software on the laptop last nite, go ahead and register my 2720 and a screen pops up saying I can download 2010 maps for free! Yippee! Went ahead and did it, but when I go to download to the unit I get an 'irrevocable error'. Looks like I'll be on the phone with Garmin support after work.

Garmin customer service rocks! They walked me through a web update and then it worked like a charm. 2010 maps loaded and ready to roll.