Garmin to Autocom connection short

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wobbles

Reaction score
Quick electrical question: I have a Garmin SP 2610 that has the audio lead connected to my Autocom Super Pro Avi (under the seat). I installed all of this last Fall.

The power cable for the Garmin has a splitter with a separate Audio cable that I've connected to a lead that goes to the Autocom. The connection is near the Garmin unit and is essentially a male/female mini plug (2-pole) connection. Last Saturday, the Audio imformation stopped being transferred and I traced the problem to what I assume is a short in one of the plugs (likely the female end that comes from the Garmin).

My question: is there a down side to just lopping off both the plugs and soldering the wires together, other than the semi-permanance? Do I need to worry about audio shielding issues? (The connection is lashed to the left handlebar fairly close to the handgrip end).

Is there a better solution? I'd rather cut and solder than reroute a new Autocom cable under the tank and a new Garmin cable to the battery, etc. (especially if the plugs might fail again after less than a year!

If anyone has experience with this or understands the electrics, I'd appreciate any advice you're willing to share.

Many thanks in advance,

Wobbles (FNG)

Don't do it. It isn't necessary.

The Garmin cable you have is made FOR Garmin by some factory in China. The female 2.5 jack is mismanufactured. The problem is that it allows the male pin to penetrate too far, such that the internal contacts don't land on the metal parts of the male pin, but on the separator between the two contact areas. Get yourself a .020" washer with the appropriate ID, plastic is prefered but a metal washer will do, and slip it over the male pin before connecting to the female. This keeps the pin from going in too far. All the contacts touch where they're supposed to. Usually solves the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't do it. It isn't necessary.
The Garmin cable you have is made FOR Garmin by some factory in China. The female 2.5 jack is mismanufactured. The problem is that it allows the male pin to penetrate too far, such that the internal contacts don't land on the metal parts of the male pin, but on the separator between the two contact areas. Get yourself a .020" washer with the appropriate ID, plastic is prefered but a metal washer will do, and slip it over the male pin before connecting to the female. This keeps the pin from going in too far. All the contacts touch where they're supposed to. Usually solves the problem.
but if that doesnt work what Autocom tell you to do is cut the thing off its a real PITA .never had a moments problem with it since I cut both plugs off :yahoo:

Thanks Effbe! I'll give it a shot. (Thanks to you also, Tontofjr; good to have a viable back up plan.)

BTW, what does "appropriate ID" mean, concerning the .020" washer?

I am curious as to why I've had no occurrence of the defect for almost a year, and then, suddenly, poof! Seems like it would have either been a problem from the start, or perhaps more gradual.

Thanks again,

Wobbles

Thanks Effbe! I'll give it a shot. (Thanks to you also, Tontofjr; good to have a viable back up plan.)

I am curious as to why I've had no occurrence of the defect for almost a year, and then, suddenly, poof! Seems like it would have either been a problem from the start, or perhaps more gradual.

Thanks again,

Wobbles
Inner Diameter. I.E. - the hole needs to be the right size for the plug.

I had the same thing happen to me two times. I went out and bought a plug for the auto com cable and cut the old one off and soldered the new one on. Bin ok for a year and a half.

The replacement plug fits a lot tighter than the old autocom plug. I purchased it from some electronics company online for something like $2.00.

Thanks again,

Wobbles
The "appropriate ID" would be a hole that just barely fits over the 2.5mil pin, say 3mm for example.

As for why you didn't have problems, who knows. It may or may not be the problem I suggest. If it is, you may have been on the cusp of a problem all this time, with barely the most minimal contact/connection side that pin/socket, and suddenly things shifted two thousandths of an inch. Again, I'm only offering an opinion as to what your problem may be as I've seen quite a few that have had that problem.

If this doesn't fix it, then I would consider following Autocom's advice and simply cutting off the plugs and hardwiring the wires together. But given the easier nature of just spacing the pin back, I'd try that first.