Garmin Wiring Harnesses

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mogan

Reaction score
I had a 2610 and recently upgraded to a 2730. After much experimentation, I've discovered that the 2.5mm audio out plug on the motorcycle wiring harness is a piece of garbage. The fitting is out of alignment somehow and the connections often slip in and out.

Any experience with this and a workaround? I was thinking about trying to hardwire the audio wires together.

I had a 2610 and recently upgraded to a 2730. After much experimentation, I've discovered that the 2.5mm audio out plug on the motorcycle wiring harness is a piece of garbage. The fitting is out of alignment somehow and the connections often slip in and out.
Any experience with this and a workaround? I was thinking about trying to hardwire the audio wires together.
I agree... I have to keep mine from bending too much (and by too much I mean hardly at all) in order to actually hear the audio signal through my mixer... If you find a workaround, I'd be all ears.

That plug is not stereo. If you want stereo from your 2730, you have to use the jack on the side of the unit.

That plug is not stereo. If you want stereo from your 2730, you have to use the jack on the side of the unit.
Holy Sh_t Batman! Bike Effects just saved my _ss! I didn't know that output was mono and I never noticed the audio out plug on the side. This sure makes life a whole lot better!!!

Many Many Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yahoo:

Groo-

If there's a stereo output on the 2730, what do you use the 2.5mm mono out for?

I have a 2610... the audio for which is Mono... there is no stereo output on the 2610... dunno about the 2730. I pipe the audio signal into my Mixit2, and then into my earbuds (when the cable allows it to work).

Last edited by a moderator:
Dunno.. not like I need to hear "Turn left in 500 feet" in stereo... mono seems to do the trick.

When i got your old 2610 i ran out and got that cable and plumed it on the bike this week.

But still have yet to here a peep from the gps thru my audio boss now this makes me wander if it is the cable???

By the way mogan the used unit still beats the hell out of my etrex legend thanks again!

If I hadn't already had an XM setup when I got the GPS, I might have leaned that way... who knows... if/when I get another one somewhere down the line, I'd be willing to get one to have one less thing to hang on the bike. I don't do MP3s, so again, that would just be something else I'd have to either waste money on, or start using.

When i got your old 2610 i ran out and got that cable and plumed it on the bike this week.But still have yet to here a peep from the gps thru my audio boss now this makes me wander if it is the cable???

By the way mogan the used unit still beats the hell out of my etrex legend thanks again!
Dude-

That GPS works great, sound too. Try different cables for the audio section. The cabling is finickly...expecially if going from mono to stereo etc. You're probably not getting a good connection where the 2.5mm female on the harness meets with your audio cable. You can easily test this by pulling the male 2.5mm lead out just a bit. That often kicks the sound in.

Woodstock...

Hadn't thought about it that way... although, even in my most sleep induced states, I'm still 99% certain I can tell me left from my right without audio enhancement... ;)

Just because I like to give credit when it's due.... I emailed Garmin about my cable problems. Got an email reply today that they're sending me a replacement and it should be here first thing next week... no hassle whatsoever. :thumbsup:

It's customer service like that which I'll give repeat business to almost every time. Everyone can get a defective product now and then... it's how they stand behind their product that means more to me.

Update... not only did Garmin send me a new cable to replace my defective one, but they sent me a whole new Motorcycle adapter kit (with the bracket, locking key, screws, everything). So now I have a spare in case my first bracket breaks, or I lose my keylock. Is that cool, or what?

Now if I had just gotten off my ass and bought their stock a year or so ago when I first had the idea.... sheesh. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I am way too forgiving. I ordered two replacement cables for my installs without asking for freebees. Just emailed Garmin requesting a refund. We'll see what they do!