Garmin Zumo 660 GPS rumored to come out next week!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like the 660 fixes the bluetooth to helmet shortcoming of the 550, now transmitting music in stereo A2DP.

I wonder if they upped the max MP3 index from 1000 songs?

It figures. I just bought my new 550. :angry: Well, I guess it will be a while before the 660 prices are discounted to what I paid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Zumo 660 will ship with a power cable, though it isn't mentioned on the web site nor is it indicated ni the accessory components. I verified with Garmin. The CSR DID check with the product group, so he wasn't just talking though his hat.

Looks like the Zumo 550 may well be discontinued, from what the CSR told me - but then those people don't know for certain and he DID NOT verify that statement.

Check out Garmin's new nüMaps Lifetime program - for a single payment, you can get quarterly updates (which is interesting, since updates traditionally have been annual) for the life of your unit - from what I can tell, it'll sell for $120 for US-only and $149 for dual US/Euro units.

nuMapsCard.gif

https://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/site/us/m...numaps-lifetime

Note that there are some interesting caveats - one is that the updates are supplied only as long as *you* own the unit - not transferrable. Also they have an 'out' in that they will cease providing updates when the 'useful life ' of your navigator is over (and who decides how long THAT is?) and that they can terminate updates if they no longer get them from Navteq - which means that if they change map suppliers you are out of luck . . .

I've been hearing about a new Zumo coming out for about 6 months now, and I must say I'm glad I wasn't holding out for this one. What a disappointment! The only thing that even sounds like an interesting bonus to me is the lane assist, and even that is just "eh, ok".

I can't believe they did away with the XM interface. I use the traffic and weather features all the time, as well as the XM radio. I wonder if the shaky state of the XM/Sirius merger had anything to do with the decision to not offer XM? I bought the 550 pretty early on, and I did feel like it was not made clear that I would have to spend another $250 for the XM receiver - the information was intentionally pretty vague with the whole "XM-Ready" thing. Maybe they found that not enough people were taking advantage of the XM after the fact due to the significant added investment.

I'm with most of you guys on the buttons, too - I ride all year round, and when I have big ol' winter gloves on it's nice to have the buttons for my major functions. Saves me from having to mash around the screen until I find what I need. It really seems like they just took the 550 and super-simplified it into more of an around-town type of unit. I doubt we'll be seeing a huge glut of used 550s for sale any time soon...

I'm with most of you guys on the buttons, too - I ride all year round, and when I have big ol' winter gloves on it's nice to have the buttons for my major functions. Saves me from having to mash around the screen until I find what I need. It really seems like they just took the 550 and super-simplified it into more of an around-town type of unit. I doubt we'll be seeing a huge glut of used 550s for sale any time soon...
If the price for left-over new 550's goes down enough, I might pick one up just to have one in reserve in case my current one gives up the ghost.

The main things I want in a new GPS were a larger screen and a much clearer and easier to read map. I would say that makes the Zumo 660 a winner for me. I understand I might be in the minority and I understand many of you with older models are going to sell all of the features that the 550 has that the 660 does not. Who knows maybe Garmin will address these issues with another model that is released in the next few weeks/months. In my eyes the bigger and easier to read monitor trump the loss in XM. I much prefer my iPod when I am on the road becuase I like to listen to music when I arrive to my destination. I can't tell you what a piece of crap the 550 looks like next to the 660. Again, totally subjective. :D

The main things I want in a new GPS were a larger screen and a much clearer and easier to read map. I would say that makes the Zumo 660 a winner for me. I understand I might be in the minority and I understand many of you with older models are going to sell all of the features that the 550 has that the 660 does not. Who knows maybe Garmin will address these issues with another model that is released in the next few weeks/months. In my eyes the bigger and easier to read monitor trump the loss in XM. I much prefer my iPod when I am on the road becuase I like to listen to music when I arrive to my destination. I can't tell you what a piece of crap the 550 looks like next to the 600. Again, totally subjective. :D

Before you lay out yer cash, do an item by item comparison and decide for yourself. Here's a link to the side by side from Garmin: Linky

Yes, the screen is wider, but not (significantly) taller. Unfortunately, we generally don't show the map sideways on the screen, so the extra space on the sides is pretty much wasted. Probably brought about by garmin's marketing team trying to cash in on the widescreen "HDTV" craze. Which brings up an interesting point. Why not orient the GPS screen in portrait mode vs landscape? It makes a lot more sense to me...

And yes, the 660 is lighter than the 550. Exactly 15 oz. lighter. wow.

It does have 1000 waypoint capacity (vs 500 for the 550), but for some reason they dropped the max number of routes from 50 to 10. Huh? I don't know about you but I always have more than 10 preprogrammed routes on my GPS.

So, I'm not trying to say one is better than the other. Just that you need to look at all the features with an open mind and make your own decision...

I think a lot of folks were hoping for a more "groundbreaking" new Zumo.

cf-md.jpg
cf-md.jpg

Forget all of the features for just a moment and look at these two screens. The map from the Zumo 550 looks old and outdated. The map from and color of the screen on the Zumo 660 look excellent to my eyes. Feature for feature I like the 660 much bettr but I do think they are leaving out a laundry list of other items.

The Zumo 550 will give you 320 x 240 or 76800 pixels; the Zumo 660 will give you 480 x 272 or 130,560 pixels. You are closing in on almost TWICE the number of pixels in a pretty small area so graphically these are worlds apart from one another. When you factor in the huge differences in contrast between these 2 monitors (yes they are still monitors) then the decision becomes clearer (literally and figuratively). I want a larger and easier to read monitor when I am riding and this seems to be understated in the side by side comparison.

Went to the link.

I see the "lane info" in the upper left corner.

What is the 200 above it?

No matter what GPS you get, the one thing NO make or model has is local knowledge. It doesn't know that the exit it has routed you to dumps into a major traffic delay at rush hour (think Atlanta) or temporary lane barricades (think Woodbridge Va.) You just have to learn that stuff on your own.

Lastly, will it update faster in 3D mode than the 550? I just leave mine in 2D for that reason.

Went to the link.

I see the "lane info" in the upper left corner.

What is the 200 above it?

No matter what GPS you get, the one thing NO make or model has is local knowledge. It doesn't know that the exit it has routed you to dumps into a major traffic delay at rush hour (think Atlanta) or temporary lane barricades (think Woodbridge Va.) You just have to learn that stuff on your own.

Lastly, will it update faster in 3D mode than the 550? I just leave mine in 2D for that reason.
The 200 you mention is likely the feet before the next turn and for traffic there are services that allow you to superimpose real time traffic over a map and some will reroute you if have selected time and not distance as your selection. As far as 3D building faster than 2D, that will come down to the graphics card that was used. We will not know this until reviews are done or the unit can be tested but I am pretty confident this will have been addressed in spades.

The Zumo 550 will give you 320 x 240 or 76800 pixels; the Zumo 660 will give you 480 x 272 or 130,560 pixels. You are closing in on almost TWICE the number of pixels in a pretty small area so graphically these are worlds apart from one another. When you factor in the huge differences in contrast between these 2 monitors (yes they are still monitors) then the decision becomes clearer (literally and figuratively). I want a larger and easier to read monitor when I am riding and this seems to be understated in the side by side comparison.

Um, sorry. Total # of pixels is meaningless in this application, becuase it is directionally oriented. As I already mentioned the big difference in these two displays is the horizontal dimension, which is insignificant. This is essentially wasted real estate for a GPS. So the only real difference is in the vertical direction.

550 = 240, 660 = 272. Not very much difference. But you have clearly already decided that the 660 is for you, so go for it and let the rest of us know how it goes.

Um, sorry. Total # of pixels is meaningless in this application, becuase it is directionally oriented. As I already mentioned the big difference in these two displays is the horizontal dimension, which is insignificant. This is essentially wasted real estate for a GPS. So the only real difference is in the vertical direction.

550 = 240, 660 = 272. Not very much difference. But you have clearly already decided that the 660 is for you, so go for it and let the rest of us know how it goes.
So let me understand this, you are claiming that only the pixels from top to bottom are meaningful? Also, do you see a difference in the quality of this 3 year old monitor? I personally hate the look of the Zumo 550 and think they really should have changed it up at least a year ago so anything that would have come out would have been a move in the right direction. I am not sold on the Zumo 660, I guess I just hate the form factor and the cost of the Zumo 550 for dated technology. It is not always about the features for me and they waited way too long to refresh the Zumo line in my opinion.

The main things I want in a new GPS were a larger screen and a much clearer and easier to read map. I would say that makes the Zumo 660 a winner for me. I understand I might be in the minority and I understand many of you with older models are going to sell all of the features that the 550 has that the 660 does not. Who knows maybe Garmin will address these issues with another model that is released in the next few weeks/months. In my eyes the bigger and easier to read monitor trump the loss in XM. I much prefer my iPod when I am on the road becuase I like to listen to music when I arrive to my destination. I can't tell you what a piece of crap the 550 looks like next to the 660. Again, totally subjective. :D
Pixels -smixels, the real test is how quickly you can absorb the information presented. Big colorfull screens with finely detailed graphics look great when you are sitting on your couch, but when your going 90mph and glance at your gps it works out better to have simple graphics and minimum information presented. Most times I kinda already know where I am going , and easy to see arrows for the upcoming turns is all I really need when I am actualy using a GPS on my bike. All the high resolution crap and detailed shit off to the sides is just useless and distracting information.

90% of the time I aint looking at the map anyway..if I have a route programed I am listening for prompts...not watching the screen. I'll usualy have the XM or MP3 screen up anyway, not the map.

So the even if the 660 was in fact a HD videio image of the road before me, it be pretty much useless while riding, but real cool to look at or show my freinds.

I am glad I have a 550...I get more than the 10 stinking routes and I have the Xm radio with weather/traffic and that trumps anything I have read about the 660.

(and the 660 is 1.1 oz lighter, not 15 )

KM

The 200 you mention is likely the feet before the next turn and for traffic there are services that allow you to superimpose real time traffic over a map and some will reroute you if have selected time and not distance as your selection. As far as 3D building faster than 2D, that will come down to the graphics card that was used. We will not know this until reviews are done or the unit can be tested but I am pretty confident this will have been addressed in spades.

That was what I was thinking also but based on the "time to turn" in the lower right and the "travel speed" in the lower left you would miss the turn by 112' +/-. :unsure:

The 550 will give you a turn warning (say 300') but based on your traveling speed, you may need to turn much sooner. Faster updating (if it's possible) would be really nice.

In any case they're just one more tool in the box and like almost everything else (except the desire for sex of course) soon become obsolete.

seems to me that this one is replacing the 450 and maybe they will be coming out with a replacement for the 550 in the near future.

Only hold 10 routes instead of 50 and you lose the XM radio.

A downgrade IMHO.

I'll keep my 550 and see what they do with the 770.

Thank you very nicely.

That was what I was thinking also but based on the "time to turn" in the lower right and the "travel speed" in the lower left you would miss the turn by 112' +/-. :unsure:

The 550 will give you a turn warning (say 300') but based on your traveling speed, you may need to turn much sooner. Faster updating (if it's possible) would be really nice.

In any case they're just one more tool in the box and like almost everything else (except the desire for sex of course) soon become obsolete.
See lane assist. The Zumo 660 also has lane assist with junction view; plus, there's a new multiple routing feature that will give you a preview of the shortest, fastest, and off-road route so you can choose from one of three options.

seems to me that this one is replacing the 450 and maybe they will be coming out with a replacement for the 550 in the near future.
I think you are correct. I can't see them walking away from the XM folks.