Garmin Zumo 660 GPS rumored to come out next week!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trent if you really want to be cool you will just print out a google map get rid of that piece of crap gps.
All the cool kids are using google maps now.
I really like using Google maps I just wish there was a way to get it to build in real time? Know where and how far gas stations are is also pretty cool. I would have liked to have some how found a way for them to integrate SPOT tracking and help/911 features. I am not likely to use the XM/Sirus but I would like to see the SPOt features. I will bring the iPod either way since I enjoy my music in the room at the end of a long day.

Are you considering a GPS Johnny?
Got one, hate it
Which model and why if you don't mind me asking?

Now if the would have the ability to dnload off road maps and have auto track etc then it would be a winner! i just want 1 GPS that I can use on the FJR, quad and EB

One could argue that with lane assist you make better use of the wider screen? Also I like seeing a freeway or a road that that is up in the top corners of the screen that cannot be seen with a screen that is not as wide. So Garmin is making the screen wide so people think it is better and not because there is any value to it? Shame on Garmin for trying to fake so many of us out with a wider screen when it has no use! You keep repeating yourself that I think the 660 is the next best thing to sliced bread but I would argue you’re not reading what I fucking write. I keep saying that the 550 looks dated and the 660 does not. I have also suggested there very well could be another model around the corner that would better fit 550 owners when the time comes to buy another GPS.
Great. Now we're resorting to swearing. Get a grip man. We're just discussing GPSes here

And yeah, I get it. Your big point is that the Zumo screen looks dated. So what? Does it work? Does it do what you want it to do? Does it have the appropriate features for the way you want to use it?
Hey Fred! that's my line.

Ahh what the heck, go ahead and use.

Just my 2 cents, I am not interested in the XM, I had it in my car for a year and didn't care for it. The graphics are much better and i find in my car I look at the graphics quite often. Most likely won't be the same scenareo on the MC. I don't have one on the bike yet but soon to be purchased before the upcoming season. My next thought is, are the routes stored on the SD card and if so why not just have a library of SD cards with all your routes. <unlimited routes> IMO I am liking the 660.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trent if you really want to be cool you will just print out a google map get rid of that piece of crap gps.
All the cool kids are using google maps now.
I really like using Google maps I just wish there was a way to get it to build in real time? Know where and how far gas stations are is also pretty cool. I would have liked to have some how found a way for them to integrate SPOT tracking and help/911 features. I am not likely to use the XM/Sirus but I would like to see the SPOt features. I will bring the iPod either way since I enjoy my music in the room at the end of a long day.

Are you considering a GPS Johnny?
Got one, hate it
Which model and why if you don't mind me asking?
I have a Garmin 2720. I don't like it because it does not tell you to get on a freeway and go to the next freeway but instead it chunks it up.

For example - Take 15 north to the 210 west would be a normal direction. My gps says take the 15 north to the 91 freeway. Then when I get right n top of the 91 freeway it says go to the 60 freeway and so until I get to the 210 freeway.

It almost got left in the middle of the damn freeway one day when I got off at one of the chunks going to Fairlaner's house. That thing is piece of shit (and not I am not talking about Fairlaner).

I have the Garmin 4 times and it always chunks up the trip. I really hate it.

I have a Garmin 2720. I don't like it because it does not tell you to get on a freeway and go to the next freeway but instead it chunks it up.
For example - Take 15 north to the 210 west would be a normal direction. My gps says take the 15 north to the 91 freeway. Then when I get right n top of the 91 freeway it says go to the 60 freeway and so until I get to the 210 freeway.

It almost got left in the middle of the damn freeway one day when I got off at one of the chunks going to Fairlaner's house. That thing is piece of shit (and not I am not talking about Fairlaner).

I have the Garmin 27XX, 28XX series and really like them. The way they 'chunk' up the trip is not my favorite feature, but you know there ARE ways around that. One way is to get to the list of directions. One look at that and it will be obvious what your route is.

Youse gots to be smarter than the GPS. :tease:

I have the Garmin 27XX, 28XX series and really like them. The way they 'chunk' up the trip is not my favorite feature, but you know there ARE ways around that. One way is to get to the list of directions. One look at that and it will be obvious what your route is.

Youse gots to be smarter than the GPS. :tease:
How do you get the list of directions? Thanks for the tip Skoot.

My next thought is, are the routes stored on the SD card and if so why not just have a library of SD cards with all your routes. <unlimited routes> IMO I am liking the 660.
Dave,

If it works the same as the present Garmins, you could store routes on the SD card but they cannot be accessed by the GPS software from there. They would be in an "inactive storage" mode, so to speak. Only the routes that are in the GPS'es memory are accessible. But you might be able to put some routes on the SD card and then "import" them as needed. Of course you'd have to delete some routes from memory before importing new ones. That could be a viable workaround for this 10 route limit issue. Good thinking!

How do you get the list of directions?
Just press the green stripe running across the top of the screen when in mapview.

Now what is this "chunking" you guys are talking about? I have had a SP C550 and SP 2820 and can't quite figure out what you are talking about. Are you talking about how sometimes the directions will inform you to stay on the route you are already on? That does mess up the distance between turns because when it tells you to "stay left to continue on route XXX" it considers that a "turn", but it has never steered me off course (that way).

My next thought is, are the routes stored on the SD card and if so why not just have a library of SD cards with all your routes. <unlimited routes> IMO I am liking the 660.
Dave,

If it works the same as the present Garmins, you could store routes on the SD card but they cannot be accessed by the GPS software from there. They would be in an "inactive storage" mode, so to speak. Only the routes that are in the GPS'es memory are accessible. But you might be able to put some routes on the SD card and then "import" them as needed. Of course you'd have to delete some routes from memory before importing new ones. That could be a viable workaround for this 10 route limit issue. Good thinking!

How do you get the list of directions?
Just press the green stripe running across the top of the screen when in mapview.

Now what is this "chunking" you guys are talking about? I have had a SP C550 and SP 2820 and can't quite figure out what you are talking about. Are you talking about how sometimes the directions will inform you to stay on the route you are already on? That does mess up the distance between turns because when it tells you to "stay left to continue on route XXX" it considers that a "turn", but it has never steered me off course (that way).
Chunking is when it breaks up a straight a way like a long freeway to little chunks. It will take you to the next free way that intercepts it then tell you to go to the next freeway that intercepts it until you get to the actual freeway it wants you to turn off on.

Chunking is when it breaks up a straight a way like a long freeway to little chunks. It will take you to the next free way that intercepts it then tell you to go to the next freeway that intercepts it until you get to the actual freeway it wants you to turn off on.
Thanks for the reply, Johnny. And yes, I think we are talking about the same little phenomenon.

I have found it somewhat annoying, maybe even a minor inconvenience at times if I glance at the GPS and it shows next turn in 12 miles when I know I'll be on this same road for much longer. But it certainly doesn't make me want to heave me GPSes. Maybe the difference is because I'm an "audio" GPS user? I mostly listen to the turn by turn directions and don't often actually look at the text prompts on the GPS screen. I have come to expect that when it says "stay left on XXX route" I just do that. I don't pay any attention to the text that says "route XXX to Route ZZZ"

Hope that makes sense.

Paul PeloquinMonmouth OR
Are you the guy that used to make the Monster Amp?

I've got one (7 years) and have a question?

Send me a PM if you are the guy?

Khunajawdge
I thought it was Bob Peloquin? Old email: [email protected]

Question: Does anyone know if there is a ram mount for the form factor of the current Zumo 660? I am ordering the Helibars and I would like to find the perfect mount. I am guessing it will be from TechMount but I will need to look around since I have never had a GPS before.

seems to me that this one is replacing the 450 and maybe they will be coming out with a replacement for the 550 in the near future.
This was exactly what I was thinking when I saw it. I mean they discontinued the 450 and released this new one. Just cuz it has a bigger number doesn't mean it a better device.

For example Last time I bought a truck, I sprung for an extra hundred "f"'s in my truck, not sure there is a big difference there either. Like my old F-250 was pretty much just as good as this new f-350, Cept of course the 6.4 litre diesel compared to the old 5.4 litre gas. No comparison there. But were were talkin F's not gas vs.diesel. :rolleyes: