Gary McCoy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone know if/where Gary has gotten a new gig at? I'm not finding anything by searching. Thanks!

Well, I think we've lost Gary McCoy as a supporting resource. And he will be is missed.

Gary has a Facebarf page which says he is now living in Minot, North Dakota, and working for an oil company.

Yeah he will. Dang, that's a pisser. Thanks for the quick reply kaitsdaddy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah -- sorry to lose a great guy. Seems like the end of an era with that news.

I got all my Honda and Yamaha parts from him. Fortunately for me, he was at the last Montana dealership when my previous stash of parts/consumables ran out, and I had the rare foresight to stock up on OEM brakepads, iridium plugs, air filters and lotsa oil filters and crush washers for both the XX and FJR only about a year ago. Still will miss talking to Gary on the phone placing orders, not to mention his customer service -- the best ever parts service since I started working on cars and bikes over 40 years ago.

I hope he is doing well and appreciated at the new oil company gig.

Double damn. I have talked with/purchased from Gary any number of times through the past years and found him to be a great resource and a stand up guy (as did everyone else here).

The End of an Era.

DAY102009CFR003.jpg

Damn... almost like a Eulogy atmosphere here :eek:hwell: Hope you are doing well Gary.

On another note, this gives me an idea to talk to an old fraternity brother of mine who works at a Yamaha dealership near me and see if he can get going on something like this. Like others have said, if you can develop a huge client base like he had it's great for a dealership that would typically never see any of those customers.

Anybody know what markup % Gary typically sold parts at?

Damn... almost like a Eulogy atmosphere here :eek:hwell: Hope you are doing well Gary.
On another note, this gives me an idea to talk to an old fraternity brother of mine who works at a Yamaha dealership near me and see if he can get going on something like this. Like others have said, if you can develop a huge client base like he had it's great for a dealership that would typically never see any of those customers.

Anybody know what markup % Gary typically sold parts at?
It was a different time, and business was good in the moto industry. To tell the truth, if he couldn't give much of any break at all, I'd give him business: my local Yamaha shop closed, so I might as well support Gary and his repeatedly giving great customer service.

I hope if he wants to get back into the business, something works out for him.

Yes, the rumors are true Gary is happy and employed with the oil industry in Minot, ND. He is running a shop for a large oil supply company. When I talk to him he seems like he is liking the new job. Something new makes it exciting.

Gary was most likely the last of the great people in the motorsports industry. He always did what he said he would do, and those times that something got messed up he would make it right. The oil industry will be better for our loss. He gave us prices that we will not see again! To many stealers out there now....

I think he sold us parts at 15 to 20 percent OVER cost, not 15 to 20 percent off retail. If you think about it that was a great deal as retail is usually double what the stealer pays for those same parts. I never did ask Gary about this, just bought what I needed and know it was the best price anywhere.

I will mention to Gary to take a look at this thread as I am sure he thought many of you guys as friends.

Dana

I still don't get why he didn't start his own operation. You don't need that much right, a website, some phones, heck you could run something like that out of your garage? He already has the contacts and the the customer base, and with good service and excellent prices he would be always busy.

Gary was one of the nicest guys I've dealt with at any dealer. I called him up about parts, started chatting about the idiot local dealer in regard to the ignition recall (the service person asked if the FJR was a kawasaki?) and he went into the Yamaha system and got my bike info changed from the previous owner to my info and got me squared away with the recalls. Over and above the call was normal SOP for Gary. :fan_1:

The only other guy to come close is John at Zanotti's.