Gas Tank Sticker

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Musman

Reaction score
Silly question, but I've been thinking about taking off the little gas tank sticker because I don't like the way it looks. I know that sounds picky, but I'm more concerned that the sticker will eventually fad & look bad. Then, if I decide to take it off later (say a few years from now)...their will be a noticable dark spot on my gas tank where the sticker was because the gas tank paint has faided (as I ride my bike to work & it sits in the sun a lot).

Do most folks leave this sticker on...or do they just peel it off? Sorry if this is a stupid question...

Last edited by a moderator:
Your assumptions about the sticker are correct on both counts.

Take it off now while its relatively easy to get off.

Silly question, but I've been thinking about taking off the little gas tank sticker because I don't like the way it looks. I know that sounds picky, but I'm more concerned that the sticker will eventually fad & look bad. Then, if I decide to take it off later (say a few years from now)...their will be a noticable dark spot on my gas tank where the sticker was because the gas tank paint has faided (as I ride my bike to work & it sits in the sun a lot).
Do most folks leave this sticker on...or do they just peel it off? Sorry if this is a stupid question...
I took mine off in the first week of ownership so no fading yet. If you do decide to remove, use a hair dryer to heat it up and slowly pull up. If you have any glue left a little WD-40 will clean it right up.

I removed mine the day I bought the bike. I did the old fingernail and pick-at-it, pick-at-it routine. :angry2: Extremely labor intensive. But I understand a hair dryer works real well - and a lot easier/faster with no damage. :yahoo:

Get it off! Hair dryer,Goo Gone, fingernail.........Done! Make sure you put a coat of good wax on the tank in that area when finished.

Great...thanks for the input! I'll take it off tonight.

An if those ideas don't werk for ya, you can always use a propane torch. Betcha only do it once though.

:jester:

I left mine on so I don't **** up and accidentally put diesel in it or something like that.

Pulling that sticker off is one of those jobs that you'll be wishing you hadn't started when you are half way through...

...but it does look better without that gay-ass sticker on the tank.

The dealer was good enough to remove mine along with my wallet when I took delivery.

I heard a rumor that's what keeps the bike from falling apart....remove it and it all goes down hill from there. :rolleyes:

I left mine on so I don't **** up and accidentally put diesel in it or something like that.
Diesel is a problem? That explains a lot, thanks.

I picked off the sticker, filled the tank with diesel, and then used wd40 (got the idea for that here, thanks) to clean it up. Worked great...except for the diesel. But I removed the spark plug and welded the holes shut. Maybe it'll work.