Gauging interest: FJR rearsets

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bergs

If this world were mine...
Reaction score
Hey all,

A few months back I posted a question regarding available rearsets for the FJR.

The best someone could suggest is the Vario pegs which I consider no good for many reasons that I don't care to get into right now.

I'm wondering how much interest currently exists for true to life FJR specific rear sets. I mean, REAL rear sets...not just a peg that moves around but a tried and true setup that moves the foot controls and the peg location up and back to gain ground clearance and let the FJR chassis sing in the twisties.

My goal is for these (other than gaining ground clearance) is to allow the least amount of frustration in order to get these mounted on your bike and still use the OEM foot controls. Yes, the pegs will be different and I'm hoping to be able to have options for either OEM-type rubber and/or aftermarket-type aluminum pegs.

I'm in the works with a local company for developing a reliable and tested design which I won't release until a few more hurdles are cleared. I will be testing the final design on my own FJR and the test grounds will be my home track.....NHMS.

Cost will not be considered at this time. I am merely gauging interest at the moment.

Please feel free to ask questions, if you have any, either in a PM or in this thread.

Simply add your name to the list....for example:

bergs

Member1

Member2

Again, your name on this list does not equal a commitment.

If there is enough interest in the next few weeks I will then move forward to the next stage.

Thank you all and let's make this happen!

I found the perfect solution to the problem you have with the FJR:

08YZFR1_blue_1_00071292.jpg

I've worn the tire tread completely to the edge with the stock pegs.

I'm talking little rubber balls hanging off the side of the tire.

(granted that means scraping and lifting your inside foot)

But, it seems like rear sets would let you run out of rubber. That's smells like very bad Vodoo.

And, you'd be running out of rubber without warning.

If it ever does touch down, a rigid peg could stand you over and low side you faster than you could blink.

If you have never done it, low siding the FJR sucks a big one and gets expensive.

It's kind of nice that our bike tells us that we have entered the danger zone with the non-rigid feeler nut scraping.

Am I missing something? Have you gone to a different tire profile?

Wouldn't just removing the feeler nut, on the bottom of the peg, put you knat fart away from the tire edge?

(for zero dollars)

I can see someone adding rearsets for the sake of bling. But, I don't see the bike lean over any further.....

Like this? The break lever won't fold up. <_<

This was my '03..... On my '06, I still have the feelers :p

25zsg95.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's true petey...but I know from my field romping experience in Ohio that the gear shifter will fold up...given sufficient force. :lol:

...had to heel shift all the way back to Wheaton... :clapping:

I'm not following you petey...all that scraping of pegs and such :rolleyes:

EDIT...sorry about the off topic post...now back to rear sets... :clapping:

While I'm sure there are many acheived riders on the forum, I certainly don't condone riding on the street to the point of heating the tires to near-race temps.

quicksilver- If you'd rather continue to drag hard parts while removing your feet from the pegs in the process then I suppose it's okay. Not an ideal situation when trying to manage a 600 lb machine or any machine for that matter. Wouldn't you rather keep you feet planted to maintain the control of the bike? I mean, as a road racer, I never remove any complimenting input from a machine such as my feet, regardless of lean angle. Rearsets alleviate that "need".

I don't recall stating the peg would be rigid. FWIW, there will hopefully be options in that department once a final design is agreed upon. We're working on a design that utilizes and relocates the OEM foot controls as well as offering an option for rigid or spring-type footpegs.

Also, the OEM peg feeler on this bike isn't the "danger zone" by any means.

With all due respect, it sounds to me like your suspension might need some tweaking to match your weight, tire pressures might be low or you're not hanging off the bike enough. I'm not knocking you. I say this based on your description of what you're doing and feeling in the turns.

Only 3 interested after 200+ looks?

That's odd.

I seem to recall someone saying I'd be knighted if this were accomplished.

What holds the FJR community from responding?

I know that this post is of quite some age at this point but I'm new to the FJR. Without rearsets I cannot stay with the FJR. While I'm 5'8" tall my inseam is only 27". That puts my lower legs straight up and down but back just slightly which makes me feel like I'm off balance and cannot ever get comfortable. After riding 40 miles my legs kill me as do my old knees. I bought the bike and have only ridden 500 miles and because of the factory foot peg position I want it gone. Rearsets would save me from having to sell it.

I know there are peg relocation kits available (like these: https://www.sportouring.com/gallery.php?sectionHeaderActive=1000&rangeChoosen=426 ) but my foot is only a size 8.5EEE so with those kits my toes would not reach the brake and shifter.

Yes to rearsets for the FJR!

Bergs, I think if you look at the demographics for FJR owners (or look at the various pictures in other sections), you'll see that most of the owners are at an age or of a size that might be considered beyond the sportbike realm..... so to speak.

Many of us already have a sportbike. Some have a dual sport.

Jus' sayin'......

Somehow I've missed this topic in the past. Just this last weekend I was mentioning to a friend that I wish someone made a rearset for the FJR. I'd like to have a little more ground clearance and like having my feet higher and farther back. I don't have a sportbike to ride and even if I did I'd still like to have a rearset on the FJR.

Folks, check the dates. Bergs last post in this topic was 2 and a half years ago.

Monkeyman - you are an anomaly. 99% around here would find a rearset position more *uncomfortable*. I know there are different strokes for different folks, but for the life of me, I can't figure out how you find the straight leg position of the FJR to be a bad thing!?

Skoot - "I know that this post is of quite some age at this point but I'm new to the FJR..." <<in my first response here.

Right you are, an anomaly. You can be sure I don't buy off the rack... and not because I don't want to.

My legs are much shorter than the average and as a result the factory peg position puts them back just the smallest bit. Just enough to make me feel like I'm always off balance and just enough to prevent them from being in a natural position. They are very close, but off just a tiny little hair. For my legs "... the straight leg position of the FJR..." isn't straight legged. It's back just enough to bother my legs.

If they were further back, no problem. If they were further forward, no problem. Instead it's back just the tiniest of measures and just enough to prevent me from putting them in a natural or comfortable position.

I've taken a look at the vario pegs and with them I could not fully actuate the rear brake (2005 FJR so no combined brakes) as my feet are not long enough (8.5EEE). Do you know of a solution to the brake/shifter problem? I'm open to ideas! I wouldn't mind keeping this motorcycle.

David

Do you ride with the balls of your feet on the pegs? For me this is the ideal position while "making progress". I never use the rear brake at anything much above 30 MPH, so my feet just remain tucked out of the way. When I'm in town or in traffic then it's back to the sole on the pegs. :rolleyes:

Don