Gear Question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As well, human perception seems unsuited to reliably perceiving objects coming head on. A lateral 'weave' from side to side as you approach an intersection, or any oncoming traffic, may help a little.

This article explains how motorcyles are invisible, in a bit more depth
I've actually recently begun doing that little weave when approaching an intersection with oncoming traffic or when there's a car entering the road from the side as I approach, mostly as a result of a few posts here on the forum, but I haven't been doing it consistently. Your link is a GREAT thing for everybody to look at, and I hope they do. As a result of it, I'm going to be a lot more diligent about that extra movement. The article really lets you see how very valuable it is.

As well, human perception seems unsuited to reliably perceiving objects coming head on. A lateral 'weave' from side to side as you approach an intersection, or any oncoming traffic, may help a little.

I've actually recently begun doing that little weave when approaching an intersection with oncoming traffic or when there's a car entering the road from the side as I approach, mostly as a result of a few posts here on the forum, but I haven't been doing it consistently. Your link is a GREAT thing for everybody to look at, and I hope they do. As a result of it, I'm going to be a lot more diligent about that extra movement. The article really lets you see how very valuable it is.
+2, I've been trying the zig zag when left turners are ahead of me too, so far, so good. I think it helps. Thanks for the article!

+2, I've been trying the zig zag when left turners are ahead of me too, so far, so good. I think it helps. Thanks for the article!
Gunny. Thanks for the article link.

I think zig-zagging is a possible life saver for those dreaded "on coming left-turn in fronters"...or "side drive pull out in fronters"

Edit: to keep in topic, this spring, purchased Hi Viz Olympia Air-Glide jackets for wifey and me...to go along with yellow and hi-viz helmets.

I don't want to be stylish and in a stretcher.

Last edited by a moderator:
[RANT]

Boy this thread is kind of right in my "wheel house" so to speak...

Congrats to Brobee for getting back on the horse, AND for recognizing the most dangerous situation we face, imho.

BEING SEEN!!

There's clearly no doubt, as others have pointed out, that many drivers simply aren't taking the time to do a proper job when driving. But there are still others that do look, and not see us, it's pretty well documented that we are not that easy to see, especially when they are "mentally" not looking for us.

But in all of these cases, all of them, the BEST we can do is make ourselves as visible as possible! It's the BEST we can do!

Is it a guarantee nothing will go wrong if we wear Hi-Viz? of course not, don't be silly.

Is it a guarantee nothing will go wrong if we weave back and forth to make ourselves more visible? of course not, don't be silly.

Is it a guarantee nothing will go wrong if we use a headlight modulator to make ourselves more visible? of course not, don't be silly.

There's no guarantees guys... but put the odds in your favor for key rists sake!

[/RANT]

sorry about that, I just see way too many people with little or no gear, dressed in all black so they are "cool", no helmet or brain buckets. Bro, when u hit the ground like that, your ass is grass and the hospital bills are a lawn mower...

silver blends into the background and helps make you invisible to other vehicles
Agree. The best thing is Contrasting Colors. It has to stand out, in all circumstances. Black and Silver are good. White and Black. Yellow and Black. Hi-Viz Yellow stands out really well.

silver blends into the background and helps make you invisible to other vehicles
Agree. The best thing is Contrasting Colors. It has to stand out, in all circumstances. Black and Silver are good. White and Black. Yellow and Black. Hi-Viz Yellow stands out really well.
All very true. To be seen you want a color or pattern that doesn't occur in nature.

In daylight, silver helmets can be virtually invisible as they have have a

tendency to blend into the background. White is better, Hi-Viz is best.

If anyone has ever seen someone driving a black hog while using a high vis yellow helmet you would know how much of an impact color contrast can be.. I really wanted a yellow helmet but with my yellow bike the contrast wasnt there.

All very true. To be seen you want a color or pattern that doesn't occur in nature.

In daylight, silver helmets can be virtually invisible as they have have a

tendency to blend into the background. White is better, Hi-Viz is best.
So, do you think wearing a silver helmet would negate the purpose of a hi-viz jacket? I have heard that white is better, which is why police, etc wear them. Apparently my really stylish matte black helmet that I had on when the incident occurred is really hard to see too. I was also wearing a black Tour Master Draft Air jacket at the time. My GSX650F was orange and black, so I was stylin', but now I no longer feel it necessary to dress as The Black Knight.

I think lights are much more effective than Hi-Viz clothing. especially widely spaced lighting that gives motorists a wide enough target to detect motion and closure. Individual headlights, and even the FJR twin lights don't give this width. The bikes in the picture below show how a difference of 100 feet makes a huge difference in the visible target width..That is Sacramento Mike in front, Old Michael in the rear.

2012-05-26MendocinoFJR042.jpg

Compared to standard lighting:

20120304-0037.jpg

I think a white helmet "pops" out from the natural colors around it. I know I have noticed other's white helmets.
I agree. If yer gonna have a solid color helmet... white, or (hi-viz) yellow and green... really stand out.

Our helmets are probably the most predominant things cagers see...

but as others have said... don't depend on just "one thing". Do ALL of the things mentioned... put the odds in your favor, enjoy riding for your entire (natural) life.

Last edited by a moderator:
My riding philosophy is to constantly think of the stupidest thing the driver is going to do and put yourself and your bike somewhere else. So Far, So Good! :)

And Obtw! Wheaton! Yellow on yellow is waaaay to Ghey! Pick another color! :lol:

If you have a yellow bike, with yellow riding gear, a yellow helmet wouldnt show up that well. You really have to contrast somewhere although I have heard that yellow on average is the best contrasting helmet out there, it just wouldn't stick out on my ride.

For helmet color, as far as I'm concerned, NOTHING stands out like a gold helmet with a little blue trim.

It really gets my attention every time.

chips3.jpg

In Tom's pic, below, what I think really makes it pop is the contrast between the black helmet and the strip of blue tape on the faceshield!

I have the Sonora and love it . . . I have a Black Shoei X-11 . . . and a new Arai Profile Trident the is Grey/Silver that both look fine with my hi-viz jackets. Started wearing Hi-Viz gear when a friend of mine got laid out by a Volvo that made a left turn right in front of him . . . spent months in the hospital and will never walk right or physically be the same again . . . as much as I woujld love to place 1005 of the blame on the driver I honestly think he shares in the blame for not being visible and never dressing ATGATT . . .

Also bought my wife and kids their own Sonora Jackets as well . . . good multi-temp jacket with liners it comes with
I too only wear hi-viz gear. "Black" colored motorcycle gear might as well be named "Officer, I didn't see him" Black.

I think a white helmet "pops" out from the natural colors around it. I know I have noticed other's white helmets.
I agree. If yer gonna have a solid color helmet... white, or (hi-viz) yellow and green... really stand out.

but as others have said... don't depend on just "one thing". Do ALL of the things mentioned... put the odds in your favor, enjoy riding for your entire (natural) life.
+1 on contrast. I use a Hi-Viz jacket and a white flip up helmet. To make the helmet pop more I had a graphics shop make up (2) 3" dia. tuning fork logos in hi-viz vinyl to put on the sides of the helmet and also had them do a Yamaha "broken stripe" around the helmet in hi-viz contrasted with 3M reflective black (a little extra night time help). I'll post a pic. later in case you want to copy it.

+1 on contrast. I use a Hi-Viz jacket and a white flip up helmet. To make the helmet pop more I had a graphics shop make up (2) 3" dia. tuning fork logos in hi-viz vinyl to put on the sides of the helmet and also had them do a Yamaha "broken stripe" around the helmet in hi-viz contrasted with 3M reflective black (a little extra night time help). I'll post a pic. later in case you want to copy it.

I like this!

:good: