Geico saved the day

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmayhew

Reaction score
When I was looking at buying an FJR, the deciding factor was going to be insurance cost. I'm a 25 year old married male with no incidents in three years.

My trade-in ('05 KLR650) was insured with Farmers. Full coverage was about $550/year. A quote for full coverage on the '09 FJR was about $2600/year! Just not doable.

I shopped around between Progressive, Dairyland and State Farm and all the policies were between $1800 and $2500.

I finally did a quote with Geico and it was $580/year!!! This is less than a third of the cost of the cheapest quote I had received.

I called their 800 number expecting to go through a ton of prompts but as soon as I dialed the number I heard "Thank you for calling Geico, how may I assist you?". This can't be happening, I didn't even have to press 1 for English!

I asked her if the quote was correct and she said "Yes sir, we are very competitive."

I can't speak to their service if you have an accident or a ticket on your record but they so far they have been awesome.

That is great about your cost for your insurance .

Now the important thing you need to know is "Tickets" I think you are allowed one ticket no charge to you, but if you get another ticket in the same time allowance 3 years you will loose all your good credits that reduced your cost for insurance.

If you fall into that area where they cout ticket s against you your insurance will most likely go up to about the cost of the other companies that gave you such a high price.

They raised mine and I only had one ticket, it doubled and I am twice your age. So good luck and ride safe

That is great about your cost for your insurance .

Now the important thing you need to know is "Tickets" I think you are allowed one ticket no charge to you, but if you get another ticket in the same time allowance 3 years you will loose all your good credits that reduced your cost for insurance.

If you fall into that area where they cout ticket s against you your insurance will most likely go up to about the cost of the other companies that gave you such a high price.

They raised mine and I only had one ticket, it doubled and I am twice your age. So good luck and ride safe
Yeah, That's what I'm nervous about. We all know how hard it is to just cruise on the FJR. Even 80mph feels boring.

My saving grace is I'm a reserve police officer in my town so I always carry my badge when I'm riding. It is definitely not a guaranteed way to avoid a ticket but it sure helps!