Pissed at Progressive

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had the exactly same experience as the OP and others, when I bought my new 2014 FJR last year and added it to my existing progressive policy (with other bikes) that I had since 1996 (18 years.) Long story short:

- they quoted me $1100 more to add the FJR.

- I went to Geico online and got a quote of $520 for the exactly same coverage, dollar to dollar.

- I went back to progressive and told them (as I like to keep everything in 1 place if I could) that their competitor is selling the same coverage for less than 1/2 of what they asked. Could they do something as I was a 18-year customer and never ever filed a claim?

- The agent on the phone didn't even blink and answered on the phone, "sorry can't do". It was obvious that they did not care of having/losing me as a customer.

- I signed up with Geico with all my bikes and canceled Progressive. And they charged me $35 cancellation fee!

- Now I just received my Geico insurance renewal for my 2nd year with my FJR. The FJR alone dropped from $520 to $400 for the 2nd year.

Bye Progressive! They don't seem to care if they lose business...

I guess that's problem with any big business. When they grow too big, nobody at the bottom (insurance agents) cares.

Last edited by a moderator:
Progressive raised my Versys 650 to sportbike rates @ $1300/yr. and the '05 FJR to $1250/yr. for a clean, slow old rider...bye bye Flo.

Same experience for me. I had four bikes insured with them ('05 FJR, '98 VFR, '00 Aprilia and, '04 Vstrom) and was totally satisfied with pricing and service. I especially liked the on-line capabilities as I has shifted coverage and riders over the years on my own with no problems.

Bought 2014, wanted to replace the '05 with it, and they wanted an increase that was more than what I had been paying previously for all 4 bikes. I called, questioned their thinking, which they said was "the way it is" and then promptly left them for Allstate, at a price only slightly above what I was paying for the four including the '05.

Progressive has some screwed up actuarial tables for the FJR. Beware.

I would never use my homeowners insurance to cover a vehicle damaged at my house. My vehicle deductibles are 250. My home deductible is figured as a percentage of it's value when the mortgage was drawn, coming to around $1200. Screw that.

I'm sure we don't have the cheapest rates ever, but I've been with State Farm since I was 16 or 17 years old. My wife joined my account when we got married, but my truck is grandfathered off of my original vehicle policy. I have $0 deductibles on glass damage and my truck account cannot be dropped. It can become too expensive to afford, but they can't drop me. Ha!

Either way, they have always been good to us. Their customer service has always been good, and our coverage is excellent. We shopped around a while back and two different agents said we had such good perks that they wouldn't recommend changing. None of my vehicles has ever had a ridiculous jump. Until that happens, we'll stay put.

The real question is why do we have to pay full premiums for each machine when we can only drive/ride one at a time, while the other stays safely in the garage covered by our homeowners insurance.
Curious minds want to know.
What, you never have needy friends come over and borrow one of the other bikes?

I don't think policy owners get to decide which insurance policy to apply - it depends on the loss.

If your house burns down, and takes your parked bike with it, your homeowners insurance is primary. If while pulling into the driveway of your home, you lose control of your bike and smash it into your house, then your bike's collision insurance is primary for your bike damage, and your bike's general liability insurance is primary for your house damage.

Now there may be a clause in any policy that allows for it to become secondary coverage to another policy, where an applicable loss can be applied. In that case, deductibles may be covered, limits extended, etc. Perhaps this may be more common when both policies are underwritten with the same company.

I ran into a similar situation with a car almost 30 years ago. Father of my best friend back then was an insurance salesman for AAA. He told me something back then that has stuck with me ever since. He told me that as long as your driving record is clean you should never go more than 5 to 7 years without calling around for new insurance quotes. He stated that the insurance companies will always take drivers with clean records at a lower price or even a small loss to help their percentages look better. More safe drivers, fewer paid claims to offset the one's they had to pay out for.

He said usually after the second or third year you'll get hit with one of their "across the board rate increases" to get your bill up to where they really wanted it to begin with and then gradually your rate will start to rise. A few years back my rates on my bikes did just that.Nationwide, whom I'd been with for several years started jacking up my rates even though I'd had no paid claims for years. Switched to Foremost for a few years, had one small claim when I hit a deer. Bike was repaired and soon enough rates went up so they could recoup their money. Switched to State Farm about 3 or 4 years ago. So far things are okay but I'm not afraid to pick up the phone and start dialing again.

My bike insurance doubled when I went from my last bike to my '14. So did book value of the bike I was insuring...

There are two separate parts to vehicle insurance: Liabilities coverages, and the Comprehensive & Collision coverages.

The value of the vehicle should not really affect the liabilities portion, only the C&C. That is more related to where you are, who you are, and what the risk category you and your vehicle qualify as. So there is no reason for the cost of your insurance to double because the bike's value doubles. Yes, it should go up some, but not by double, or else they are just screwing you over.

In the case of Progressive, they have misclassified the 2014 FJR somehow (maybe considering it a "sport" bike now) as compared to prior year versions of the same machine, and they radically increased the cost of liabilities coverage. I pointed this out to them, just before I left them (after 10 years) and switched to Allstate, when it landed on deaf ears.

I'd have switched if I didn't have everything covered with them (Geico), and if not for their world-class legal representation when someone (on two wheels) filed a false and exorbitant lawsuit against me after driving into me. Full coverage for the FJR alone costs me $420 a year, so it isn't that bad.

Been with Progressive for a long time. Current policy for the '07 is $249/yr. The '15 is $1054! WTF?? I am shopping right now.

That was similar to my experience. Bob. I'm betting you'll get a better price from just about anyone else. They just have something wrong in their actuarial tables.

It is too bad, too, because I really liked all the online capability Progressive had (they are sort of progressive in that way). I had added and subtracted bikes from my policy several times in the past, and even added my son on the coverage on my own, without any outside intervention.

Doesn't PissGressive realize the fjr is getting fatter, slower, and uglier each and every year after 2006? :whistle:

Doesn't PissGressive realize the fjr.... RIDERS.... are getting fatter, slower, and uglier each and every year after 2006?
whistle.gif
Hey Don I fixed it for ya....

I also had to shop and switch insurance at least on the auto's. Safeco , which is Liberty Mutual , improved my coverages, and cut yearly bill in less than half of Allstate ,,whom I'd been with for 25 years. But on the FJR, I had the ins. broker check with his primary companies, which progressive is one of. They wanted double what I'm paying Allstate. Safeco is about same as Allstate,,State Farm was 100$ more per year,, so I've left the house and bike with Allstate. Neither one of us could believe what progressive quoted. He called their regional rep to question it and see if there was an error. There was not.