Pissed at Progressive

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wait. I put on an MV Motorrad riser to move the bars back, do I get the Harley Davidson rates now?

I've had progressive for a few years now. I'm 41, married, with many tickets over the years, but none for the last five or so. Marginal credit, not particular history of strong decision making. ;) living in north tx.

Geico wanted $680 to insure a 10+ year old triumph sprint.

Progressive wanted $320.

When I got my vstrom 1000, it was $320 for a couple years, at the last renewal it was $280 if paid in full.

'03 FJR is $280.

Here's the catch- two buddies have -3 year old HD geezer glides. These are both $20k+ bikes. They each pay $320/yr.

You can try all you want- none of this makes any sense.

Here's the catch- two buddies have -3 year old HD geezer glides. These are both $20k+ bikes. They each pay $320/yr.You can try all you want- none of this makes any sense.
You can't wreck and claim it if you don't ride it. I have a coworker with a $28K HD and he's put about 1500 miles on it over the last several years. Those bikes are easy money for insurance companies.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="gixxerjasen" data-cid="1296324" data-time="1458357405"><p>

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Transpomgr" data-cid="1296308"><p>Here's the catch- two buddies have -3 year old HD geezer glides. These are both $20k+ bikes. They each pay $320/yr.<br />

You can try all you want- none of this makes any sense.</p></blockquote>You can't wreck and claim it if you don't ride it. I have a coworker with a $28K HD and he's put about 1500 miles on it over the last several years. Those bikes are easy money for insurance companies.</p></blockquote>

I guess that's about right. These guys ride quite a bit, but I don't remember progressive asking about mileage when I signed up.

Timely of this post to pop back to the top. Thinking of adding something to my garage and almost choked when I tested a few quotes through Progressive. Tried Dairyland today and found much more favorable rates. Going to peruse this thread for other alternatives.
Perhaps different insurance companies have different rates for different parts of the country, bikes and riders? I checked with Dairyland and the quoted premium was nearly double of Shelter and Progressive.

Yea, for fun I was pricing out a couple of bikes. Dairyland ended up not being the cheapest, but the strangest. Their high quote was on the bike everyone else quoted low, and vice versa. Odd.

I did the same, there is no reasoning or pattern. One reason I traded a Versys 650 was the insane rate on that (dangerous) 65 hp fun bike that they rated as a sport bike, an R1 would have been cheaper to insure. Not kidding.

The older 2005 FJR is 1900.00 a year with Progressive...was. Dairyland was thrifty in my zip code for 3 years then it also exploded.

Check USAA as well, we just moved everything to them and dropped over $1400 a year across 4 vehicles and the 2 bikes, with no change in coverage. It's different for everyone though, but worth shopping around.
USAA doesn't insure motorcycles, they farm that out to Progressive.

I switched from Geico to Progressive two years ago, because Progressive under bid Geico for the same basic coverages. I had one claim with Geico and they were great, but I guess they want to make that up.

I think next renewal I'll try to set up another bidding war.

A few weeks ago, both my policies came up for renewal.

I had both trucks with Liberty Mutual and was paying $600 a year. New policy increased to $800 and nothing had changed.

I had both bikes with Geico and way paying $660 a year. New policy increased to $670 again nothing changed.

I had been with both companies 5+ years

So, it was time to shop around. I ended up switching them all to Farm Bureau. New policy for all 4 $750 a year AND I doubled my previous coverages. So basically doubled my coverage and lowered my cost by half. Oh, and I lowered my deductible as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I get new quotes for all my insurance every year. Only takes a few minutes on line. When I get tired of all the emails I set up filters on my email and dump all the followups into the trash. Usually end up switching insurers every two - three years.

So....After all my bitchin and complaining, I stayed with Progressive. 50/100 stacked, full tort, $300K CSL, and ZERO Deductible. Two bikes, 2006FJR and 2014FJR, $780.00 paid in full.

Seems the jerks quoted my the rate as financed (where just the 2014 was $916 alone), but $150 less if paid in full.

Renewal in August, let's see what they offer...Always a surprise.

I just switched from Merkle to Progressive. Insuring four bikes (FJR, 2013; Super T, 2012; F800GS, 2014; F650GS, 2011). Deductable of $250 and with uninsured motorist coverage. Yearly payment went from $1250 to $640.... Montana does not require motorcycles to be insured in any way.