Gen 1 rider's seat choices

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

airportcop

Reaction score
Just wondering from practical experience and use what is the best or most comfortable rider seat made for the Gen 1 FJR? Looking for something to pad my butt on the long hauls! I seem to need to move around a lot and stand up on the pegs often as my butt hurts on rides over 50 miles on the stock seat. I already use the Alaska Leather sheepskin seat cover and I don't want to change the rear seat as it doesn't get used much. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Gen I stock seat is less than optimal, or in other words....... SUCKS.

You have many choices out there. I highly recommend a custom seat by either Bill (Rocky) Meyer, or Russel Day Long. If you are an average american - big and portly, definitely go with the Russel.

They aren't cheap, but are worth every penny.

I used a Corbin on my Ducati 916 for 10 years very happily and just got seats for my FJR. I have the opportunity, living relatively close, to go in for a custom fit so I can't really say what the "stock" fit is like. Try some of the different ones out if you've any others of the FJR group local to you. Best of luck.

Gen I stock seat is less than optimal, or in other words....... SUCKS.

You have many choices out there. I highly recommend a custom seat by either Bill (Rocky) Meyer, or Russel Day Long. If you are an average american - big and portly, definitely go with the Russel.

They aren't cheap, but are worth every penny.

+1 RDL !!!

I'm not a fan of the Russel with those big wings that push the jewels against the tank at stops. I think any aftermarket less radical seat (I have a Sargeant, but a Myers etc are fine) with an airhawk air pad is optimal for me and most. JMHO

I'm not a fan of the Russel with those big wings that push the jewels against the tank at stops. I think any aftermarket less radical seat (I have a Sargeant, but a Myers etc are fine) with an airhawk air pad is optimal for me and most. JMHO
Sorry Mikey, but you obviously have no idea what you are talking about here. RDLs do NOT 'push the jewels aginst the tank at stops'. Nor will any custom built seat made correctly.

another +1 for RDL

a87f15e3.jpg

I have some time on a corbin that came with the bike and can say that if you are having knee and butt discomfort with the stock seat you will still have them with the same corbin style that I have. The corbin is somewhat better than stock but not a great deal. Some say that you need to give the corbin time to break in, and with my bike only having 3K miles or so, that may be part of the issue. I think the bigger issue for me is that the seat height for the corbin is less than or equal to stock, so I feel like a jockey on long rides.

I just very recently got a RDL from one of the gracious board members here, so I don't have very many miles on it. From what few miles I've put on, it seems tons better than stock and the corbin.

If you are interested in trying the corbin to see if you like it you are welcome to try it out. I'm not that far away from you in Wichita, KS.

Steve

I have some time on a corbin that came with the bike and can say that if you are having knee and butt discomfort with the stock seat you will still have them with the same corbin style that I have. The corbin is somewhat better than stock but not a great deal. Some say that you need to give the corbin time to break in, and with my bike only having 3K miles or so, that may be part of the issue. I think the bigger issue for me is that the seat height for the corbin is less than or equal to stock, so I feel like a jockey on long rides.

I just very recently got a RDL from one of the gracious board members here, so I don't have very many miles on it. From what few miles I've put on, it seems tons better than stock and the corbin.

If you are interested in trying the corbin to see if you like it you are welcome to try it out. I'm not that far away from you in Wichita, KS.

Steve

Steve,

I might have to take you up on that offer. I am also looking at local custom seat makers and a place called Fat Asp Seats here in Ozark. I am really only interested in the front or drivers half as my wife doesn't ride with me. Is the Corbin a one or two piece seat? Maybe we can work something out. I'll get back with you. Thanks

Kevin

Sorry Mikey, but you obviously have no idea what you are talking about here. RDLs do NOT 'push the jewels aginst the tank at stops'. Nor will any custom built seat made correctly.
I have very large thighs, short legs, and gigantic balls

<see above seat pic>

Just wondering...what is the best or most comfortable rider seat made for the Gen 1 FJR? Looking for something to pad my butt...
I spent a lot of money trying to save the cost of a Russell. Nothing worked as well...
Surprisingly, the Russell is not a comfy well padded seat. The well padded, comfy seats will pack down and become uncomfortable PDQ. At first feel the Russell will not be the most comfortable seat you ever sat on, but it isn't uncomfortable either -- and it stays like that for the whole day. The most noticeable thing about the Russell seat is that you won't notice it at all, no matter how long you ride.

I did the Bounce thing too, I tried several seats to save money but the Russell was the last seat I bought. From this point on I will just go straight to Russell.

Surprisingly, the Russell is not a comfy well padded seat. The well padded, comfy seats will pack down and become uncomfortable PDQ. At first feel the Russell will not be the most comfortable seat you ever sat on, but it isn't uncomfortable either -- and it stays like that for the whole day. The most noticeable thing about the Russell seat is that you won't notice it at all, no matter how long you ride.
This. This is 100% on the money. I get asked all the time if that big barcalounger is comfortable and I get looked at sideways when I say "I guess".

It's invisible. It neither comfy nor uncomfy. It just is. Case in point, I rode from EOM in Hendersonville to Kitchener Ontario in one sitting. About 800 miles this past Sept. My ass felt the same when I got off the bike as when I got on. Gotta like that!

There are many different opinions about seats, but the consensus is the absolute best seat for long days in the saddle is the Russell Daylong. Like Bounce and ionbeam, I tried hard to avoid the cost and ugliness of the Daylong. I probably tried and rejected more other seats than the average bear. And at considerable expense.

Butt, in the (rear) end, it all comes down to being comfortable. The Russell delivers the goods. Cut to the chase and get the Russell now, rather than later.

Aestetics are purely subjectve, but I think you can ameliorate the ugliness factor a little by selecting the Half Moon stictch pattern. Get the leather, it is worth the extra coin. Since you won't be doing the back, you can have the back covered to match the front and it looks pretty good. Especially when your butt is in the saddle. ;)

Here's my Russell in the aforementioned half moon pattern

100_0381.jpg

Well, after some use now, I can say that I'm very happy with the Corbin seats on the FJR. The Corbin on my Duc was more functional than comfy but this one is a pleasure to ride.

P1030080.jpg

Well, after some use now, I can say that I'm very happy with the Corbin seats on the FJR. The Corbin on my Duc was more functional than comfy but this one is a pleasure to ride.
Glad that seat is working out for you.

I can see from your avatar that you fancy yourself as a "sporty" rider. The Corbins are pretty good in that regard (as are the Sargents), making it easy to slide around laterally on the seat.

Seriously, I've owned several Corbin seats on multiple bikes over the years. I actually tried three different ones on the FJR before ponying up the cash for the Russell, one Canyon close (it came w/ the bike), one Canyon regular, and one "modular" like yours. None of them were "long distance" comfortable for me.

Unless you are able to physically go to Corbin's factory and have the seat custom formed to your backside, like you did, or if you magically happen to have the same exact ass shape as the forms they use for their off-the-rack saddles, the foam that they use is so firm it will be torturous after only a few hours in the saddle.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really like the feel of the seats on the new BMW's. I have only experienced them by sitting on them in the showroom, but from the feel of the foam it seems the seat would be comfortable no matter what the shape. I want to replace the foam on my seat and keep the stock cover, I've asked what kind of foam they use and they can't/won't tell me.