Gen 1 rider's seat choices

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really like the feel of the seats on the new BMW's. I have only experienced them by sitting on them in the showroom, but from the feel of the foam it seems the seat would be comfortable no matter what the shape...
I just spent 9 days on a BMW K1300GT with a stock seat. My butt reports that the seat isn't much better than a stock FJR seat. No matter how many miles we needed to cover we had to build in Butt Breaks long enough to let the pain subside. I will say that I was surprised the seat was as good as it was for how thin it is, the riders seat has about half the cross section thickness of the FJR's passenger seat. Perhaps the K1600 seat is more comfortable, for $14,000 more than a FJR it should be. That would buy a pile of Russell seats ;)

I have yet to find any seat that is initially comfy to have long lasting comfort as the day goes on.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really like the feel of the seats on the new BMW's. I have only experienced them by sitting on them in the showroom, but from the feel of the foam it seems the seat would be comfortable no matter what the shape. I want to replace the foam on my seat and keep the stock cover, I've asked what kind of foam they use and they can't/won't tell me.
Just because they feel good on a showroom floor does NOT mean they will comfortable with some extended seat time. It's more about shape, than foam. And I did 350 miles on a R1200RT once that was comfy in the beginning, but I couldn't wait to get off that thing at the end of the day.

Get a true custom seat. Period.

Surprisingly, the Russell is not a comfy well padded seat. The well padded, comfy seats will pack down and become uncomfortable PDQ. At first feel the Russell will not be the most comfortable seat you ever sat on, but it isn't uncomfortable either -- and it stays like that for the whole day. The most noticeable thing about the Russell seat is that you won't notice it at all, no matter how long you ride.
This. This is 100% on the money. I get asked all the time if that big barcalounger is comfortable and I get looked at sideways when I say "I guess".

It's invisible. It neither comfy nor uncomfy. It just is. Case in point, I rode from EOM in Hendersonville to Kitchener Ontario in one sitting. About 800 miles this past Sept. My ass felt the same when I got off the bike as when I got on. Gotta like that!
+1 to whut these boys just said!

My wife hated the Corbin pillion seat but does 600 mile days with me on the Russell and we are both comfortable and able to ride all day long.