Gen 1 vs Gen 2 Windscreen question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fencer

Why yes, I am a Smart ASS
Reaction score
With the V-stream popping up again, it has me thinking (be scared ba very scared!)

Why have we had to wait so long. Specifically has anyone tried a gen one shield on a gen 2 bike? Are the mount holes in diff locations? If that is all, could you not just re-drill and cover the other holes with the mount bracket? I see some gen 1 shields go for good prices but don't really know why to not get one.

I conducted a brief search (+windshield +differences) but could not find this answered. I know all shields are being listed as 03-05 and 06/7 shields from the mfgs, but has anyone tried to mount one and why did it not work?

Because they don't interchang. With the fairing changes on the NewGen bikes, the "W" bracket is wider, the holes are different, the countour of the 'shield is different.

Other than that....no problem. :D

It goes beyond incompatibility. I fancy myself about as handy with a Dremel tool as anyone. So I sacrificed a second-hand shield that I had picked up for the 05 in an attempt to fit it to the 07. Gave up about halfway through. There just is no way to reproduce those square openings with tapered edges required for the W-frame cover to lock into. It's strictly a machine operation.

If you had access to a CNC milling machine and could program in the pattern then it would be possible. But IMO it is impossible by hand.