gen I vs gen II

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vcyclenut

Reaction score
im sure there has to be a thread somewhere about this but i looked back 10 pages on the beaten to death topics and could not find it. Also could not come up with a search that found anything so here we go

im currently looking at 3 fjr's 1 nice stock 04 for stupid cheap, one farkled, hehehe, 04 for a fair but slightly expensive price and a stock 07 for what i think is a good deal

the guy with the stock 04 isnt sure he wants to sell it yet, he never rides it but for whatever reason he is himhawing about selling it if he sells that to me its a no brainer. but after that it gets harder

so to help me make up my mind what are all the differences between a gen 1 and gen 2 bike

thanks for not beating me for a wet noodle for not knowing this answer

Let's see - Gen IIs have higher extra wattage for electrical accessories, standard ABS, slightly longer wheelbase, slightly taller gearing, slightly more info on the dash, and much better heat management - you stay cooler riding the bike in the summer.

All in all it's a whole lotta nice little things that add up to a better bike IMHO.

If you can afford it buy the newest bike you can. If cost is an issue, I love my 05 and wonder what the hell all these sissies are talking about. Heat, what heat. The 04 is a fantastic bike, although not as pretty. And at the right price is a better bike than most on the road.

Let's make this easy... get the 07!

while i appreciate everyones opinions, im really just looking for the actuall differences

so far

better heat management....

taller gearing....not sure thats a plus

longer wheelbase.....again not sure that is a plus, considering im coming from an r1

smoother fuel injection

standard abs, nice but does not really mean that much to me

what other info is on the dash????

if these are the only things id rather save 3-5k and get the old bike

in pictures the bikes look the same to me, visually what is diff

As an objective '04 owner I say pocket the cash and get the '04. The Gen II heat management is great as they now fully cook your ankles now instead of gently warming you entire bottom half. The extra dash information is good as you always get 17 MPG IIRC.

Better yet, get the '04 and use the extra cash to buy an SV650 for your light days. :rolleyes:

Welcome either way, and expect the wet noodle any minute.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's make this easy... get the 07!

while i appreciate everyones opinions, im really just looking for the actuall differences

so far

better heat management....

taller gearing....not sure thats a plus

longer wheelbase.....again not sure that is a plus, considering im coming from an r1

smoother fuel injection

standard abs, nice but does not really mean that much to me

what other info is on the dash????

if these are the only things id rather save 3-5k and get the old bike

in pictures the bikes look the same to me, visually what is diff
That heat management is a big deal in a warm climate, although I was able to cure my 04's pretty well with a custom seat.

Taller gearing would really be nice. This is a powerful motorcycle, and my 04 is spinning 4,000 at 70 mph in 5th gear when it could probably pull it at 2,000 or less. That's a lot of engine wear and maybe some gasoline. I keep wishing I had two more gears.

I've never had complaints about my fuel injection, altough the throttle is a bit goosey at near-idle speeds.

The ABS is wonderful -- if you like ABS. I wouldn't take for mine.

I don't know a lot about the Gen II's, but the main visual difference seems to be the cockpit layout. I know they have a headlight adjustment knob on the dash and a readout for ambient temperature. probly some other good stuff too. That headlight adjustment would be most valuable if you ride with different loads.

Hope this helps. If you can do it, get the newer machine. I know I'd love to have one.

As an objective '04 owner I say pocket the cash and get the '04. The Gen II heat management is great as they now fully cook your ankles now instead of gently warming you entire bottom half. The extra dash information is good as you always get 17 MPG IIRC.
Better yet, get the '04 and use the extra cash to buy an SV650 for your light days.

Welcome either way, and expect the wet noodle any minute.
lol, thanks thats kinda how i feel right now, but the extra cash is going for a 125 or 250 2 stroke track day bike, hehehehe

Last edited by a moderator:
The GenIIs also have the adjustable seat height (about 3/4" total IIRC), and adjustable handlebars.

Yet another thread on what is an increasingly complex matrix of trying to keep track of things.

Here's a stab at a matrix that tries to show the evolution of the machine from year to year, shows how Gen 1 and Gen 2 is important....and probably needs a lot more.

Enjoy.

Ig

P.S. If I've missed important categories, got something wrong, or you have an idea how to help make the display of information easier...send me a PM. I can imagine this in an FAQ somewhere.

Yet another thread on what is an increasingly complex matrix of trying to keep track of things.
Here's a stab at a matrix that tries to show the evolution of the machine from year to year, shows how Gen 1 and Gen 2 is important....and probably needs a lot more.

Enjoy.

Ig

P.S. If I've missed important categories, got something wrong, or you have an idea how to help make the display of information easier...send me a PM. I can imagine this in an FAQ somewhere.

wow awesome , thanks , I think as long as i get an 04+ it would be good for me

but for the price i can get the 07 for an 04-06 is going to have to be a real bargain for me to not justify spending the extra coin

Enjoy.

Ig

Thanks Ignacio! I've got some friends interested in FJR's now and this will help them shopping! Good info!

Jason

Another slight difference, on Gen IIs you can add sliders without cutting any holes in the fairing. As far as I know you have to cut some holes on the Gen Is to add sliders - please correct me if I'm wrong here.

Another slight difference, on Gen IIs you can add sliders without cutting any holes in the fairing. As far as I know you have to cut some holes on the Gen Is to add sliders - please correct me if I'm wrong here.

You can add sliders without cutting, but they require brackets. 89 bucks on ebay from T-Rex. Not thrilled with their choice of bolts as the shoulders were too long and required I get more washers but I'll live with it.

The big difference between gen 1 and 2 is the massive perfomance increase the 03's have over the rest. The 03's are really rebadged off shore 02s with the hotter cams, different ECU fuel and ignition maps, hotter coils and higher output fuel pump to handle the extra fuel requirements.

Of course everyone here will say I'm making all of that up, but it's true. You don't have to cut your faring to ad sliders to a gen 1.

:yahoo:

Latest posts