Gen I vs Gen II

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottiO

Reaction score
I'm new to your site and a previous Goldwing owner. Can someone enlighten me as to the major differences between gen. I and Gen II machines.

I know the instrument panel and faring is a bit different but why is one better or worse than the other?

I'm aiming for an 06 ABS because of the color! I understand the 05 has the same color code as well. Which one???????

Help!

Thanks a bunch!

Scott

Nashville

Welcome aboard, be glad it's not dog-pile Friday. ;) The FJR has been around so many years this question has been asked a lot and the comparison charts have had a lot of work put into them.

This link was in the FAQ that you signed on to join and has your answers: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showforum=121

Don't be afraid to Google as follows:

site:fjrforum.com <with whatever terms you want to search for>

Checks

Last edited by a moderator:
Can someone enlighten me as to the major differences between gen. I and Gen II machines.Which one??????? Help!
The debate between which one is better will last for eternity, so you could just save yourself a lot of time and just buy a better all around bike than either the Gen 1 or 2: A BMW GSA ADV :yahoo: My reputation will suffer from posting this :yahoo:

2005 = Galaxy Blue

2006 = Cobalt Blue (Its darker)

Gen II FJRs are for girly-men dorks. Gen I FJRs are for real riders. Quite simple. You're welcome.
Yeah, I started out FJR life as a manly-man. Now I'm a double-dork. Oh well!!!

ScottiO,

ANY FJR Choice would be fine. Now it is a matter of small cosmetic personal choices. The FJR of any yearis an amazingly engineered platform to own... better than 95% of all motorcycles out there.

The FJR is rated #26 of 100 top motorcycles of all time per https://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Top-100-Bikes/top-bikes-21-30/?id=121341 and not only lucky to know about it but even Own One.

Then the Trump Card is THIS forum one of the Best Motorcycle Forums of all time and has Saved me Thousands including the benefit of Embarassing 5 Star Motorcycle Mechanics... not intentionally.

So any model year of this platform from Gen1, GenII or Gen1000, the lowliest one is hard enough to

to keep from having tooo much fun and %ell to avoid the police. That is why we are Called Pilots and Not Riders.

Have Fun with your choice...and let us know what Color you get.

In a nutshell.....

Gen 1 models, North America, 2003, 2004, 2005:

2003 - smaller front brake rotors than the 04 & 05, weaker suspension components.

2004 - up-sized front rotors, available ABS, better suspension, in-dash storage compartment.

2005 - same as 04, in blue

Gen 2 models, 2006 to 2010

Bodywork and radiator designed to provide better air management (heat control) for the rider/pillion.

Re-designed instrument cluster. Redesigned fuel injection system. Adjustable handlebars and seat. Longer swing-arm. Linked brakes. Slightly heavier than Gen 1 bikes. Available YCCS -- electrically controlled clutch.

Primary differences from '06 to '11 models are the colors. Other minor differences, primary being the 09 switch on manual clutch models BACK to the Gen 1 clutch slave cylinder to reduce effort and improve feel. Throttle assembly improved in 08 to ease effort and jerky throttle action on 06 & 07 models.

There's your nut shell. :)

In a nutshell.....

Gen 1 models, North America, 2003, 2004, 2005:

2003 - smaller front brake rotors than the 04 & 05, weaker suspension components.

2004 - up-sized front rotors, available ABS, better suspension, in-dash storage compartment.

2005 - same as 04, in blue

Gen 2 models, 2006 to 2010

Bodywork and radiator designed to provide better air management (heat control) for the rider/pillion.

Re-designed instrument cluster. Redesigned fuel injection system. Adjustable handlebars and seat. Longer swing-arm. Linked brakes. Slightly heavier than Gen 1 bikes. Available YCCS -- electrically controlled clutch.

Primary differences from '06 to '11 models are the colors. Other minor differences, primary being the 09 switch on manual clutch models BACK to the Gen 1 clutch slave cylinder to reduce effort and improve feel. Throttle assembly improved in 08 to ease effort and jerky throttle action on 06 & 07 models.

There's your nut shell. :)
Also Gen I's have less alternator output than Gen II's; 490 vs 590 altho there is an Electrosport stator available aftermarket that bring the G1's up to G2's level if I got that right. Dunno about the reliability of the E-stator tho, others could tell you more.

Bottom line is that you'll see lots of loyalty to Gen I's & Gen II's here but you cannot go wrong whichever one you get. Just search for the best value and go for it!

Gen 1 more sport less touring. Gen 2 more touring less sport. But its really splitting hairs. Just as long as you know 05,s "gen 1" are the best!
To the OP (original poster)....

In regards to the above post from Blueman, the 04 and 05 are identical motorcycles, except for the color. The 05 is that ugly-ass bass boat blue you'd see on your gay sister's Prius. :blum:

Otherwise, same bike -- just a different year.

First, study the comparison matrix linked by Checkswrecks.

Second, understand the in-house fun we have as FJR owners/riders at the opposite's expense.

You will not go wrong whichever iteration you choose. I assume you'd want newer with less miles, so a Gen II wold be your choice. That would leave an ample Gen I supply for those who want them.

Signed:

Kommandant: FJR Parking Nazi Brute Squad

Grand Poobah of Falderall

V.P in Charge of Bikini Bike Wash

for the Super Secret Gen I Gathering

2005 = Galaxy Blue

Gen II FJRs are for girly-men dorks. Gen I FJRs are for real riders. Quite simple. You're welcome.
+1, Gunny! Actually Jeff, since you started the anti car tire safety thread: Brian, RadioHowie, Bust, RaYzerman and OCFjr Eric have moved you to triple-dork! jes' sayin'

2005 = Galaxy Blue

+1, Gunny! Actually Jeff, since you started the anti car tire safety thread: Brian, RadioHowie, Bust, RaYzerman and OCFjr Eric have moved you to triple-dork! jes' sayin'
Taking myself outta this one, Don.....Jeff and I have an "understanding", and no, I won't share it with you! :finger: :rofl:

2005 = Galaxy Blue

Taking myself outta this one, Don.....Jeff and I have an "understanding", and no, I won't share it with you! :finger: :rofl:
So Steve-O, what's the "understanding"? Do you two flip a coin as to who has to wear the black cocktail dress or not??