Gen II Engine Oil Weight

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBlueStreak

Reaction score
I am ready to do my first oil change on my 08. The owners manual says 20W40 in the back but 10W40 by the oil chnage section of the book.

What should I use, 10W40 or 20W40??

TIA

Rob

When I did my first oil change, I got the oil from my local dealer. They gave me 20w 40, so I would assume that's the right choice, although it is certainly possible that either will work fine...

+1 to Shell Rotella,

Go for the Shell Rotella conventional/dyno oil (15-40) till 3000 miles then switch to the Shell Rotella T Full Synthetic (5-40). That has always worked great for me during break periods!

WW

Regardless of what your manual says, Yamalube was re-formulated for '08. Their AP oil is now 10W-40 or 20W-50. AP standing for All Purpose. You don't have to run Yamalube for warranty issues if that concerns you. I agree with the Rotella dino oil till around 3K, then their syn oil.

+1 to Shell Rotella,
Go for the Shell Rotella conventional/dyno oil (15-40) till 3000 miles then switch to the Shell Rotella T Full Synthetic (5-40). That has always worked great for me during break periods!

WW

Yep
+1

Not sure what they put in the Rotella T 15-40, but my FJR loves that stuff... it could be in my head, but it sure seemed to smooth out the shifting and general engine performance. It's good as gold IMO... :yahoo:

So I have been looking around my area for the Shell Rotella T stuff, and this is what I have seen:

I was concerned that is was not a blend designed for motorcycles, but maybe that is not a big deal.

Anyways, just trying to clear up my own confusion... mostly :D

Thanks!

This is the shit. Designed for a diesel engine, great for a bike engine. (Extra anti-wear stuff)

So I have been looking around my area for the Shell Rotella T stuff, and this is what I have seen:

I was concerned that is was not a blend designed for motorcycles, but maybe that is not a big deal.

Anyways, just trying to clear up my own confusion... mostly :D

Thanks!

Thanks! I have the stupid-sticky-drivetrain-that-refuses-to-disengage-until-you've-driven-twenty-miles on my '07, and I've been itching to drop this in place of the Yamalube that the dealer put in at the 600-mile visit (was running perfect with whatever they put in when I first got the bike), but have been wondering if the warmer weather would resolve my woes.

I called two dealers in Denver and they told me they are now recommending 20w-50 for the fjr's and most other Yammies. What is going on? I'm not an oil engineer but I figure if I was gonna be driving on the surface of the sun I would perhaps use 20w-50.

But I asked twice if they were sure about the response and they said "yes, we are now recommending 20w-50 for the fjr's." I don't understand the logic since a 20w-40 would be fine for most areas of this world, and should quicker thru the engine at start up.

I wish we could have a nat'l meeting where do nothing but come to a final agreement on oil....