Gen II Grounding Harness Recall Poll

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which recall 'fix' did your FJR receive from a dealer?

• Total voters

SkooterG

Purveyor of Crooked Facts
Reaction score
Ok folks, lets keep this thread narrowly focused. The primary Grounding Harness Recall thread is located here: Clicky.

The purpose of this thread is strictly to see what the ratio is of the two different repairs being made. Please keep comments narrowly focused on the subject remembering the other thread is the primary location for information on this issue. That being said, information on how long the repair took - especially if you had to have an entirely new wiring harness ordered and installed would be useful.

Last edited by a moderator:
How about a third/fourth option? "Didn't do factory recall, kept Brodie/Roarrunner fix instead"

I kept my Brodie fix, didn't do the recall as I thought the Brodie harness is a lot more robust.

No intention of having the dealer look at mine - too many farkles I would have to mess with. Keeping the forum harness, which will be all the insurance I need. Agree with the post above that a couple other options would be helpful. Unless you meant supplemental to include forum-built harnesses.

Folks, this was not meant to be an all-inclusive poll covering most aspects of the repair. Only a poll for those interested in seeing what type of repairs are being done by those who take it to the dealer as would be common or expected.

In my opinion, NOT taking it in for the recall brings up all kinds of issues but that is for each owner to decide on their own.

Still, as I think about this more I become more open to adding a third choice of choosing NOT to take it in. Let me chew on it some more and I'll get back to you.

Mine got the Brodie fix.

I have no plans to have the recall done.
This is really weird - the quoted response was actually mine, but somehow got posted as if it were from "Rushes". Anyone else ever had that happen to them?

Mine got the Brodie fix.

I have no plans to have the recall done.
This is really weird - the quoted response was actually mine, but somehow got posted as if it were from "Rushes". Anyone else ever had that happen to them?
I was suspicious of that too, the message wasn't slurred or smart-assed. Couldn't have been from Russ :D :D

Took my 2008 A in for the recall here in Covina California to the dealer I bought it from and after inspection they found nothing bad so only added harness P/N 90891-30074-00. Dropped it off at 2:00pm and picked it up at 5:00pm.

Took my 2008 A in for the recall here in Covina California to the dealer I bought it from and after inspection they found nothing bad so only added harness P/N 90891-30074-00. Dropped it off at 2:00pm and picked it up at 5:00pm.
Scooter you are a sweethart...I wanna give you a big kiss on the lips for starting this poll. After reading all the posts before the recall, I'm very interested in learning how many had damage and required a full harness replacement. So far it looks like very few but I hope you get more responses so that we get a larger data base. For me, my 2009 with about 17,000 miles on it had no detected damage, so got it back in two days with the new grounding harness. The mech said they had done several but haven't yet found damage. Thanks for starting the poll.

Bill

Just the supplemental harness here. Dealer said only 1 full harness out of about 11 so far.

Time wise won't help as they changed the plugs, TBS Sync, clutch and brake fluid, all at same time. Did it in one day though.

I took it to the dealer. I explained the Broadie Harness to them. They handed me the parts for the recall and said have a nice day. They agreed the Broadie fix was above and beyond what the recall would accomplish. Part now sleeps on a shelf in my garage.

Partial harness. 1 1/2 hours. No word on ratio cuz I'm the only FJR owner in the area. Not having it done brings up some legal issues when the bike is sold.

Scooter you are a sweethart...I wanna give you a big kiss on the lips for starting this poll. After reading all the posts before the recall, I'm very interested in learning how many had damage and required a full harness replacement. So far it looks like very few but I hope you get more responses so that we get a larger data base. For me, my 2009 with about 17,000 miles on it had no detected damage, so got it back in two days with the new grounding harness. The mech said they had done several but haven't yet found damage. Thanks for starting the poll.

Bill
To this survey for the full harness choice must be added those who have already replaced their harness or repaired after discovering a damaged ground. I expect that folks who took preventative just in case action like installing the Brodie fix would have had the same failure ratio as the sample of folks in the recall adjusted for pre-recall failures. My dealer says mine will be his 5th recall (waiting for part) and none of the previous 4 required a new harness.

So far about 08% have had the entire harness replaced. That's a higher percentage than what I expected. Think of it, if it holds true for 5000 bikes sold 400 would have a problem...that's a high failure rate in my opinion. However the number of responders so far is probably too small a sample for any valid conclusions.

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine left me in Alaska on June 25th.

Had to ship in home (to NC) and hop a flight.

Recall was issued 3 days later - great timing Yamaha.

Total harness replacement needed.

Still at dealer waiting on parts.

No too happy with Yamaha at this time!!

My entire wiring harness was replaced under YES for a burnt ground spider. This happened before the recall came out tho. I installed a Brodie harness.