Gen II hitch

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, I know I'm jumping the gun here, but I guess I'm in on the group-buy. I simply can't put this off much longer. I'm hoping we'll see some pictures of the finished product and pricing before we commit, right?
Yes, and no

Sorry I did not post anything last night in the GB section. I got home later then planned.

You will see the pricing. The Gen I and II prices are the same. $335 before the 20% discount and $268 after the discount.

The pictures will take a little bit, kind of. The hitch that was fitted to my bike is being sent off to get powdered coated at the end of the week. Since it will be mid to late next week before it is truly complete it will be hard to show you a picture of the completed product. However, I can give some details and a picture of what to expect.

The Gen I and II units use the same main portion that the ball attaches to.

See Gen I picture here:

https://www.dauntlessmotors.com/Mountinghar...0web%20site.JPG

The only difference in the hitch you see in this picture and the unit for the Gen II units is the mounting brackets that go up under the tail section have been moved in a little bit to allow clearance for the saddle bags. My camera was dead and I did not get pictures of the unit being fitted but Dauntless did. I emailed them a few minutes ago to have them email the pictures to me. I will post in the GB after I get the pictures.

I really like the fact the hitch has the plug mounted for the wiring harness.

A side note: I have a suspension installed from GP Suspensions and the rear shock mounts in the same location as the hitch. They created a replacement bracket that will allow the hitch and shock to mount in the same location. If you have a the GP Suspensions mounting bracket the hitch can be installed without a problem.

So, here is the short answer. You will see the pricing, but a picture of the completed unit installed on a Gen II bike might take a couple weeks. However, I will have some pictures that show the unit before powder coating

Last edited by a moderator:
John,

Thanks for doing this! :clapping:

I'll probably be in on this. But I gotta/wanna know a few things before I can guarantee that I am in.

1). Most important...Can it be adapted to take the unigo receiver? (probably a yes...but I gotta call Unigo to know for sure)

2). Any unsightly hacking away at the FJR to install?

3). Can the hitch be EASILY removed for the 90% of the time I'm not trailering?

As I said earlier. I need a hitch and this looks like a good deal...so I'm probably on board with this GB.

1). Most important...Can it be adapted to take the unigo receiver? (probably a yes...but I gotta call Unigo to know for sure)
2). Any unsightly hacking away at the FJR to install?

3). Can the hitch be EASILY removed for the 90% of the time I'm not trailering?
Answers:

1) I don’t see why not. As matter of fact a few weeks ago I saw a BMW with a Unigo trailer and a Dauntless hitch. However, it was a modification by the rider. I am no expert on the Unigo trailer, but the rider explained Unigo uses a proprietary hitch connection. He created an adapter to accept the Unigo receiver. Let me try to detail the adapter.

When the rider (Mike) removed the ball there was a hole in the hitch. His adapter plate uses this hole and a small notch on the hitch to prevent the plate from rotating. His adapter had the Unigo receiver attached to it.

To me this seemed like a lot of work. However, he told me the adapter cost him about $30 to have made and powder coated at a local fabrication shop and the receiver plate cost him $55 at Unigo. For him it was important to have a hitch that he could pull his second trailer with. He had a second larger trailer for when his wife was with him on trips.

If, the Unigo trailer is the only thing you will ever pull it might be cheaper to use their trailer. However it does not look like it will be removed form the bike quickly.

Does the Unigo receiver come with a hitch or does it get purchased separately? If, it is sold separate then the costs might be real close.

I will email Dauntless tomorrow and see if they will make the adapter.

2) There is not any unsightly hacking to the FJR. There are two small rectangle holes under the tail section. It is not possible to see the holes unless you are under the tail looking up.

PICT0107.JPG

3) Yes, that was how it was designed. There will be a total of six bolts (three on each side) to remove/replace. Once I get the pictures from Dauntless I will post them. However, I will try to give some details. If you look at racefan’s post of a hitch made by another company you will see the flat steel going straight into the tail section. The Dauntless hitch will have a bolt close to the tail section. This allows easy removal of the hitch with out digging around in the tail or taking off any plastics. You just need to pop off the saddle bag to get to the bolt.

Here are some questions and answers from Jay.

Q - Can owners of the Unigo trailers use the hitch?

A - Yes, Unigo has a tow ball hitch conversion for owners to use an existing hitch with a ball. This can be purchased from Unigo. Alternatively, the owner can convert their Unigo hitch to our round plug style for use on the Unigo trailer. If, the trailer has not been purchased yet they might find our Dakar Utility Trailer interesting.

Q - Is the wiring harness a Electronic Relay Isolator Package.

A - No, the relays are not needed for this application.

Q - Is the Electronic Relay Isolator Package offered?

A - Yes, for an extra $50.

Are there any other questions I needed ask but missed?

A side note:

I saw the Dakar trailer when I was in their show room. It was a real nice looking trailer. The unit he had on the floor was gray, had locking latches on each side, and the handle on top of the lid. He explained the it is not a hinged lid so items can be strapped to the top (fire wood, tires, and more) and the lid can be removed. If it was hinged the items on the lid would need to be removed to open the lid, or stress would be put on the hinge. The lid was also designed to handle rack systems to carry items such as bicycles. If, my memory is correct the Thule line of racks will mount to the lid of this trailer. All-in-all it is a nice single wheel trailer with a lots of option including two (2) 5 liter fuel cans. I am consider looking at the trailer for a purchase next summer, as a second trailer to carry my scuba gear. You can give him a call and he can tell you all about it.

Here are some questions and answers from Jay.
Q - Is the wiring harness a Electronic Relay Isolator Package.

A - No, the relays are not needed for this application.

Q - Is the Electronic Relay Isolator Package offered?

A - Yes, for an extra $50.

Are there any other questions I needed ask but missed?
John, could you ask Jay to clarify this? I've been looking at several trailers now, and on one of their websites (I think the Uni-Go) the order page indicated that a circuit isolation relay was required for the harness on bikes with an antilock brake system, as seen on this page:

https://www.schoolhousemcacc.com/product_in...af56981b564c353

Which is correct? I'll spend $50 if I need to, but if I can save it I'd rather save it!

A side note:I saw the Dakar trailer when I was in their show room. It was a real nice looking trailer. The unit he had on the floor was gray, had locking latches on each side, and the handle on top of the lid. He explained the it is not a hinged lid so items can be strapped to the top (fire wood, tires, and more) and the lid can be removed. If it was hinged the items on the lid would need to be removed to open the lid, or stress would be put on the hinge. The lid was also designed to handle rack systems to carry items such as bicycles. If, my memory is correct the Thule line of racks will mount to the lid of this trailer. All-in-all it is a nice single wheel trailer with a lots of option including two (2) 5 liter fuel cans. I am consider looking at the trailer for a purchase next summer, as a second trailer to carry my scuba gear. You can give him a call and he can tell you all about it.
I saw this at the BMW rally and was rather impressed. It's a bit utilitiarian looking, and doesn't fit the look of the FJR as well as the Uni-Go, but then again it'll probably be available sooner, and it's designed for off-pavement use with a BMW GS. I'm seriously considering buying one, as I do not have a trailer yet at all.

John, could you ask Jay to clarify this? I've been looking at several trailers now, and on one of their websites (I think the Uni-Go) the order page indicated that a circuit isolation relay was required for the harness on bikes with an antilock brake system, as seen on this page:

Which is correct? I'll spend $50 if I need to, but if I can save it I'd rather save it!
I will ask Jay and get his feedback.

I will post as soon as he responds.

I will ask Jay and get his feedback.

I will post as soon as he responds.
Here is Jay's answer:

The deal on isolators is one of the major trailer companies the owners son has a company that builds these harnesses so he started a rumor that you must have them. The reality is that you do not. What will happen with out it is that if you have a week battery when the system does a self check on start up with the week battery it will trip an ABS code. With the relay it does not set the code however in a week or two you end up buying a battery."

Thanks for letting me know about Dauntless Motors. I finished installing the hitch last night. I had a little trouble with the wiring, but was able to get it working. I purchased a Piggy Backer trailer ( https://piggybacker.stehltow.com/ ) for the bike. My wife and I are heading out Sept 1 for a 3 week vacation with all of it.

Thanks again and I will let you know how it works out.

Thanks for letting me know about Dauntless Motors. I finished installing the hitch last night. I had a little trouble with the wiring, but was able to get it working. I purchased a Piggy Backer trailer ( https://piggybacker.stehltow.com/ ) for the bike. My wife and I are heading out Sept 1 for a 3 week vacation with all of it. Thanks again and I will let you know how it works out.
Got any pictures?

Did you get in on the group buy?

Please let us know how you like the Piggy Backer. I am looking at the trailer also.