Gen II. Is it lowered?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul II

Reaction score
Hello!

I've recently returned to the FJR fold and purchased a 2008 Gen II. I paid a visit to the dealer where the last owner had bought the bike and asked if I could see the maintenance history. The shop was excellent and gave me a print-out of what they had done to the bike at the last major service.

On the second page of the work order was "Install Lowering Kit - Parts Supplied." This was in 2013.

I'm over 6" and don't need a "lowered" bike with my inseam. I didn't notice the difference in ride height from when I owned my first GenII.

So, is it lowered? I looked at the "dogbones" and measured them at 8 5/8". They are black in colour. Thoughts?

Thanx!

Paul

IMG_1632-L.jpg

IMG_1627-L.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I cannot swear to it, but those look factory. Since my bike is an ES I cannot verify your measurement right now. Is it possible the foot pegs were lowered instead of the suspension?

I see that the bike is on the centerstand, that would be VERY difficult with a Gen2 that had been lowered.

Easy to tell if you can get the length of the stock factory dog bones and compare. If the ones you have on the bike now are longer then stock, your bike is lowered.

So, is it lowered? I looked at the "dogbones" and measured them at 8 5/8". They are black in colour. Thoughts?
Search is your friend. Search on "dogbone length" and you'll find thread like this recent one that include details about lengths.

I'd bet it's lowered. Just throwing a tape measure on mine (stock 08) they are close to 7.5" centerlines

Guys,

As a followup yes, I can put it on the centrestand without causing any undue catastrophe to me personally!

I do not see any stamping on the dogbones to show part number or if they were made by a different manufacturer.

The total length of the dogbone on the bike is 8 5/8". I had found that link referenced and it pertained to a Gen I bike. Not sure the differences.

thanx again...

Paul

8 5/8 overall is about right for a Gen II. If you had aftermarket dog bones they would tend to be like this, the manufacturers are proud of their work and engrave names and give a finished look to the parts (which will mostly be out of sight).

Adjustable:

For-font-b-Yamaha-b-font-YZF-1000-font-b-R1-b-font-2009-2013-Adjustable.jpg

Finished look, with logo.

eag_11_1323130001.jpg

The true tip-off is that he can put his bike on the center stand without a skyhook.

Many thanks all. Rushes, the centres of my dogbones are roughly 7 1/2" as per your photo. Ion, yes they look nothing like the aftermarket models you show.

I think I can conclusively say (now) this bike isn't lowered........

cheers,

Paul

On the second page of the work order was "Install Lowering Kit - Parts Supplied." So, is it lowered? I looked at the "dogbones" and measured them at 8 5/8". Thanx!

Paul
Paul,

The stock Gen2 dogbones measure 8 5/8" overall, or 7.5" between bolt centers. I believe that you have OEM dogbones there. If a lowering kit (new dogbones) had been installed, then the rear of the bike has been returned to stock height, with a change back to the OEM dogbones. Now you need to look at the front forks. Usually, the front end is lowered also, when lowering links are installed. The tops of your fork tubes should be flush with the top of the triple clamp. If the fork tube tops come up through the triple clamp by about one inch (25cm), then the front end is still lowered. You will need wrenches (nothing else) to set the forks back flush with the top of the triple clamp.

Unless there have been other changes in the suspension (such as springs), if you now have stock dogbones and the forks at the top of the triple clamp, your bike should be at the stock height.

Cheers,

Infrared