Gen II Paddle Shift Extension

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

High Hope

Reaction score
I've lost the mobility of my left leg, so the AE was a perfect choice for me as my only bike. But I've got a problem.

I bought an '06 AE with 9,000 mi on it this weekend and love it. Wow, what a machine, big, fast and comfortable. But, in learning the paddle shift process I must have hit the horn button a dozen times...and that was just the first morning!

Has anyone seen an accessory extender for the downshift thumb paddle? Or has anyone fabricated one using Yankee ingenuity? This may have been covered but it didn't show up in my searches.

All help appreciated, thanks.

Chris

You'll get used to it. You're not the first to have that issue. After a while, muscle memory will kick in.

Oh, and I thought you could pull the downshifts in with your pointer finger. Is that not right?

You'll get used to it real fast, High Hope. It won't take long at all. But, I've read here from a few AE riders that they've found it convenient to downshift by pushing forward on the shifter with your trigger finger. I've tried it and it works but, after honking the horn about a half dozen times, I know where that downshift lever is. :)

Riding an '08 AE, but not going to be much help.

Couldn't tell you the last time I used my thumb on the downshift. I just flick the paddle "forward" with my left index finger.

And yes, when I first got it, I honked the horn at least once every time I rode it. Eventually just gradually swapped over for flicking it forward.

Ahhhhhh....I see. I didn't realize + and - were actuated by the same paddle. I'll have to try it using my index finger.

I'm still having a devil of a time making good 1-2 shifts, and sometimes 2-3 as well. My last two bikes were a slow-revving BMW 1150 GS (with a good left leg) and a Honda NC700 dual-clutch "auto" (after a skiing accident.) So, given the nature of those bikes, maybe I'm short-shifting the 1300 when I should just let the engine sing some more before shifting? I cut the throttle completely when up shifting, but the bike clunks into the next higher gear and does a herky-jerk sometimes.

Maybe it's just that I'm a FNG?

Don't full release the throttle. Just blip it. Do it enough to let the revs drop a hair. Also, you're correct; the FJR seems to like higher revved shifts sometimes. Make it sing, loud, and get back to us. Just make sure you're hanging on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try shifting 1-2 at 3000 without moving the throttle at all. Then try shifting at 5000 rolling the throttle back only about 1/4 inch. You'll get a feel for it.

Ahhhhhh....I see. I didn't realize + and - were actuated by the same paddle. I'll have to try it using my index finger.
I'm still having a devil of a time making good 1-2 shifts, and sometimes 2-3 as well. My last two bikes were a slow-revving BMW 1150 GS (with a good left leg) and a Honda NC700 dual-clutch "auto" (after a skiing accident.) So, given the nature of those bikes, maybe I'm short-shifting the 1300 when I should just let the engine sing some more before shifting? I cut the throttle completely when up shifting, but the bike clunks into the next higher gear and does a herky-jerk sometimes.

Maybe it's just that I'm a FNG?
You'll get it. We've all been there. Stay on the thumb for a while. Don't give up on it too easily. After a very short time, you'll be shifting that thing like it was an automatic transmission. It'll be smooth as silk. :)

I've thought about putting some texture on the shift and horn buttons, so my fingers can more easily differentiate between the two.

Just a thought...

I've lost the mobility of my left leg, so the AE was a perfect choice for me as my only bike. But I've got a problem.
I bought an '06 AE with 9,000 mi on it this weekend and love it. Wow, what a machine, big, fast and comfortable. But, in learning the paddle shift process I must have hit the horn button a dozen times...and that was just the first morning!

Has anyone seen an accessory extender for the downshift thumb paddle? Or has anyone fabricated one using Yankee ingenuity? This may have been covered but it didn't show up in my searches.

Chris
Agreeing with (almost) everything said above, in particular use your forefinger to change up and down, much easier than trying to involve your thumb.

Read my post here on smoothing out gear changes, it might help.

When you get the hang of it, it's a real delight to flick up and down the gears, it's very quick and (if you get that throttle motion right) smooth.

Chris
Agreeing with (almost) everything said above, in particular use your forefinger to change up and down, much easier than trying to involve your thumb.

Read my post here on smoothing out gear changes, it might help.

When you get the hang of it, it's a real delight to flick up and down the gears, it's very quick and (if you get that throttle motion right) smooth.

Agree also with MC.

Also find making upshifts especially, in just one, fast, fluid action gives the smoothest results.

Thanks all for the advice and tips. I haven't ridden it since the weekend but my next ride (maybe this evening if I'm lucky) I'll try the various suggestions.

Chris

I have small hands. I don't even bother with the thumb anymore. Just flick the "upshift" forward. It doesn't take much contact either.

Just wait till someone cuts you off and you downshift instead of hitting the horn.

Great advice on the forefinger downshifting. It's much easier and more intuitive too. Thanks. Now, if I can get the 1-2 timing down I'll be a happier guy.

Great advice on the forefinger downshifting. It's much easier and more intuitive too. Thanks. Now, if I can get the 1-2 timing down I'll be a happier guy.
1 -2 is the least easy to time correctly. It is easier if you change up at higher rpm than you probably want to, but it might help you develop your timing.
Keep working at it, it will come.

You could also be weird like some of us who upshift with the paddle and downshift with the foot lever.
biggrin.png

You could also be weird like some of us who upshift with the paddle and downshift with the foot lever. :D
Guess you are also one of those who can pat your head with one hand while you rub your tummy with the other ;) .

I just use mah index finger to shift.

1st to 2nd around 3K rpm, 4th to 5th around 4 k rpm, 'n all the other gears somewherez in between. Usually I just have the throttle cracked open, ('Bout 1/4 turn?) and don't let off when I shift. If'n I'm hard on the gas, then I'll let off a little when shifting.

Fun bikez
punk.gif