Gen II Speedo & Digital display

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaYzerman19

Go Wings!
Reaction score
I don't have an FJR yet..... may be buying a used one in the US and importing it to Canada. Wondering if you can toggle the digital display to metric units, and also wondering if the speedo shows both MPH and KmPH. Perhaps there is something in the owner's manual that one of you could quote me?

Thanks in advance.

I don't have an FJR yet..... may be buying a used one in the US and importing it to Canada. Wondering if you can toggle the digital display to metric units, and also wondering if the speedo shows both MPH and KmPH. Perhaps there is something in the owner's manual that one of you could quote me?Thanks in advance.
I have an 08. No go on the toggle feature. The speedo shows both both MPH and KmPH but the latter is tiny.

I haven't tried to toggle the digital readout on my 08, but I do believe my Gen 1 2004 model would toggle to metric. Strange that they wouldn't have kept that feature.

GP

I have an 06 from the US and you definately can not toggle the display to metric units. The speedo is hard to read, especially the km/hr, because the digits are small though it may be that my eyes are getting old. I've thought about looking for a Canadian gauge cluster and trying to plug it in but it hasn't been that important yet. I'm not sure it that would work but if I could find a cheap one I'd give it a try.

Thanks, guys for the feedback..... I can always read the speed from my Zumo, but I was hoping for temperature, gas mileage, etc. to be metric if possible.... but, the Canadian prices of FJR's are a bit high......... looking forward to getting one!!

The '03 would toggle to metric for odometer readings. I accidentally got it switched that way once and had to read the book to find out how to get back to standard mile readings instead of kilometers. But, boy, for awhile there I imagined I was getting the most incredible gas mileage!

All Gen I FJRs were selectable Miles/KM. Gen IIs sold in US are all MILES/MPH and Canadian FJRs are all KM/KPH. So far as I know, it is not switchable and nobody has found a back-door way to make it selectable.

The '03 would toggle to metric for odometer readings. I accidentally got it switched that way once and had to read the book to find out how to get back to standard mile readings instead of kilometers. But, boy, for awhile there I imagined I was getting the most incredible gas mileage!
I did the same thing Sky. Man, I thought I was getting miraculous gas mileage.

GP

[SIZE=10pt]I just got back from CFR and I dont believe I met any Canadiens who used the speedo.....[/SIZE]

Thanks, guys for the feedback..... I can always read the speed from my Zumo, but I was hoping for temperature, gas mileage, etc. to be metric if possible.... but, the Canadian prices of FJR's are a bit high......... looking forward to getting one!!
Note that by importing you will be losing;

1. Your warranty

2. The immobiliser system

3. The heated grips (standard since '07) If it's an AE they always came with heated grips.

You will gain

1. Breakable keys

2. Bag liners

Note that by importing you will be losing;

1. Your warranty

2. The immobiliser system

3. The heated grips (standard since '07) If it's an AE they always came with heated grips.

You will gain

1. Breakable keys

2. Bag liners
I'm looking at an 09 FJR - heated grips in the US are only standard on the AE model - option on the regular FJR.

...and how does the immobilizer system not work because you crossed the border? Just curious as I simply cannot envision how that could happen.

US bikes don't have the immobiliser. Nor do the 'A' models have heated grips.

Both are included on Canadian models.

I'll go ahead and admit my ignorance on this. What is this immobiliser that you are talking about and how does it work?

Smart key. A correctly cut key will not start the bike, the electronic doodad in the head of the key has to be present. Many many cars have that nowadays, makes for expensive duplicate keys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes it does. I had to get a replacement key for my Chevy Impala and it was $50. The guy behind the counter, that was waiting on me, told me it was one of the cheaper ones. They had some for other cars that go for $100.

GP