Gen Iii Driving Lights Mounting Dilemma - Solution Maybe?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been working with Warchild on providing a set of driving light brackets for his new toy. The installation basically needs a spacer to fill in the depression that the Gen II cowling has. The spacer would allow the brackets to set away from the cowling surface - a good thing. The ones I gave him did not work out as the screws are too short. I am thinking the fix is a bit elaborate, but I could not come up with a better idea. Basically, I plan to buy a set of new mirrors and remove the mounting bases that gets bolted to the cowling subframe. I don't think they are sold separately. I will then tig weld a piece of SST 6mm all-thread to the studs, thus making them 1/2" longer. Any bracket would then work along with the spacers, including mine. These pieces would be provided on an exchange basis; I'll send you the reworked ones along with new spacers, you send me yours plus some $. Comments? Anyone have a better idea?
santa.gif

Why not use the spacers from Twisted Throttle... come with the appropriate hardware to extend the screws, with the bonus of getting the mirrors out another inch and look decent.

Or, find some thin wall tube, tap it to 6 mm, thread it on to the mirror stud, and use a short bolt on the bottom end with a drop of blue loctite.

Yes, the TW spacer option should work, but I believe they will need to provide a different spacer design if they don't have them already. The issue is the mirror mounting surface on the bike is about 5/16" below the fairing face and this will need to be addressed if light brackets are to be used.

The motohaus spacers are similar, if not the same, as the T.T. spacers. In order to add light brackets, another 5/16" spacer would need to be added beneath these. If you didn't want to use the thick spacers, which are black, you are out of luck.